IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 05:30 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
There's a ton of things wrong with the article....

1) Source is USA Today
2) Picture of the F is not the latest model
3) "First of course is its huge price ($61,750) that put it out of the reach of most Lexus buyers." - No. It's competitively priced compared to the M3, AMG, RS5, S5. Costs less than all of them with the same options.
4) "Then there is its low fuel economy rating of 18 mpg, while the BMW M3 delivers 20 mpg." - Incorrect again. There's a reason why the M3 has gas guzzler tax and the ISF doesn't.
This pisses me off.
Virtually the entire LS lineup is equal or more than the F. The GS F-Sports are in the high $50s!!! And I've seen a ton of those around Austin!! That writer is an idiot.
Gas mileage. Again, idiot. I just got 26.8mpg on back-to-back weekend trips from Austin to Dallas. That guy sounds like a biased jacka**.
Old 03-14-13, 12:26 PM
af11791
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not saying if what I heard today is accurate or not but on my break from class, I was really bored and decided to take a visit to Lexus Of Manhattan to possibly trade my 08 for the 2013. In our conversation, he mentioned that if I want a 2013 I should buy it now. I asked why and he informed me that they were told this morning that Lexus is officially discontinuing the ISF. I dont know if its true or not but he seemed like he was being serious. He did offer me a good deal on the 2013 though.
Old 03-14-13, 12:54 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

They won't kill the line, but 2nd generation IS F is going to be expensive if the production numbers are low. OR, they can save money, and tweek the current motor to get more power out of it. Improve exhaust flow...maybe "tune" it....members that have I/H/E are getting 40-60whp it seems. So they can save money by improving the current engine, however, I hope Lexus doesn't do what they did with the 3IS and basically put in the same V6 motor from the 2IS into the 3IS...yeah there's a cost savings involved, but everyone is going to new motors.

BMW has a new straight six turbo and maybe twin turbo...Mercedes has their V8 5.5L Bi-Turbo...time for Lexus to step it up, or get out of the game and sell their little F-Sport cars.

They will sell very little new cars if the new 3IS comes with the same motor the old IS F came in...
Old 03-14-13, 12:55 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

@af11791: Or it could be a salesman tactic to get you to trade up in a newer car. I would consider the trade only if I felt the added components (wider wheels, LSD, instrument cluster, LED headlights, etc.) were worth it, but not because some salesman said the vehicle is being discontinued. I had a similar discussion at my dealer, and though the newer wheels appeal to me, it isn't justified to have another car payment when I've paid this one off already.
Old 03-14-13, 12:56 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
This pisses me off.
Virtually the entire LS lineup is equal or more than the F. The GS F-Sports are in the high $50s!!! And I've seen a ton of those around Austin!! That writer is an idiot.
Gas mileage. Again, idiot. I just got 26.8mpg on back-to-back weekend trips from Austin to Dallas. That guy sounds like a biased jacka**.

This is all correct and good stuff USA today...since when did they become the absolute motoring authority?
Old 03-14-13, 01:12 PM
af11791
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
@af11791: Or it could be a salesman tactic to get you to trade up in a newer car. I would consider the trade only if I felt the added components (wider wheels, LSD, instrument cluster, LED headlights, etc.) were worth it, but not because some salesman said the vehicle is being discontinued. I had a similar discussion at my dealer, and though the newer wheels appeal to me, it isn't justified to have another car payment when I've paid this one off already.
Yeah I know. Im not gonna do it because I love my car the way it is now and I just got it not to long ago lol. Just wanted to see what he would say.
Old 03-14-13, 01:13 PM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

I'm still wondering what the deal is with this IS-F

ISF Convertible Coupe

Old 03-14-13, 01:57 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

^^ They could release that (or something close to that) as a just about anything. They could call it the 2015 ISF or they could give it a totally different name. They also could have decided to scrap the plan entirely, because the performance was not up to par. Who knows?

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that it means nothing and this is just a marketing ploy to get a few more people to buy the last of the current stock that is out there. Like a few have said before, they "discontinued" the 4-door M3 but it is coming back too.
Old 03-14-13, 04:03 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't make sense to keep on spending money on something that'll be discontinued...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS-F Discontinued-black-ccsr-1.jpg   Lexus IS-F Discontinued-black-ccsr-2.jpg   Lexus IS-F Discontinued-black-ccsr-3.jpg   Lexus IS-F Discontinued-black-ccsr-4.jpg  
Old 03-14-13, 04:33 PM
cthemall
Driver School Candidate

Old 03-14-13, 05:16 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

^^^ I was just about to post that lol
Old 03-14-13, 07:07 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, "Lexus owners just want to ride comfortably, and not quickly and mostly old people buy them."

Lexus = old man's car
Old 03-14-13, 07:28 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
lol, "Lexus owners just want to ride comfortably, and not quickly and mostly old people buy them."

Lexus = old man's car
omg i lold at the moment of silence

but its kind of true at how many owners *****ed about the ride in the 08-09 F
Old 03-14-13, 08:11 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by af11791
Im not saying if what I heard today is accurate or not but on my break from class, I was really bored and decided to take a visit to Lexus Of Manhattan to possibly trade my 08 for the 2013. In our conversation, he mentioned that if I want a 2013 I should buy it now. I asked why and he informed me that they were told this morning that Lexus is officially discontinuing the ISF. I dont know if its true or not but he seemed like he was being serious. He did offer me a good deal on the 2013 though.
I spoke to my salesman at a Lexus dealer here in SoCal where I bought my F a year or so ago and he also said that in his meeting with "the brass" a few days ago they said there will be no 2014 ISF. When they asked about 2015 it was unknown. Take it for what it is, different salesmen at different dealers in opposite parts of the country. My guy wasn't trying to sell me anything, I went in there to say hello and brought it up in conversation, so it wasn't as if he was trying to push me in a '13 or use a sales tactic. Just throwing this out there.
Old 03-14-13, 09:45 PM
RedlineISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I spoke to my salesman at a Lexus dealer here in SoCal where I bought my F a year or so ago and he also said that in his meeting with "the brass" a few days ago they said there will be no 2014 ISF. When they asked about 2015 it was unknown. Take it for what it is, different salesmen at different dealers in opposite parts of the country. My guy wasn't trying to sell me anything, I went in there to say hello and brought it up in conversation, so it wasn't as if he was trying to push me in a '13 or use a sales tactic. Just throwing this out there.
3IS-F will be naturally aspirated V8 with 450-500 horsepower. There is a reason Lexus doesn't turbo or supercharge their cars. Once you do then their bullet proof reliability factor is gone. The next F will be like ours only better.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F Discontinued