IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 05:19 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

For all this debate of the F “being discontinued” or not, have you all factored in on what "discontinue" means in the article? To me when it comes to car manufacturers nowadays, discontinue means short-term hiatus.
Hiatus meaning, since we assumed that the next F would not come out until at least 2 years after the redesigned IS comes out, wouldn't it be plausible to think that the F is on-hiatus or to some other people, use the term, "discontinued" for a couple of years until the new one is finished?

Why the hiatus? Well since the current F isn't doing all that great in sales, why commit your factory resources to produce such a low-volume model for the next 2 years? Why not take those resources and commit them to other new models? Why continually spend so much R&D every year from 2008-2012 with the 2012/2013 being much improved over the 2008 model. Typically in between or mid-cycle updates to a particular model has always been aesthetic to increase sales. But not for the F, the updates hasn't been aesthetic, but always been internal involving the driving dynamics of the car (LSD, suspension, etc.).

To me, it is completely plausible that they stopped focusing in on the current F, take the next two years to engineer the next F for either 2015 or 2016. So to me a 2-year hiatus is not a big deal and is not similar to case of the beloved Supra since there is still competition out there in the form of M3s (now called M4s), C63s, and RS-5s. Remember, after lessons learned from the LFA and a new way of thinking, Lexus wants to put the best out there to lead, not to follow. My $0.02.
Old 03-15-13, 05:33 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

@Pete, yeah, I think the majority of us have considered that. It's very sound logic b/c we've all seen it before. I think some of the owners are just worried b/c there's been no definitive answer coming from any source about the F's true future.
Old 03-15-13, 06:14 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So far, Lexus's "hush-hush" about the F's future is working..... There is now much more talk about the F than ever. If this impending discontinuation of the current F doesn't spur more sales, than I don't know what will.

I myself have even entertained trading in for a 2012/2013, knowing how much more superior it is to the 08/09 model year and assuming that I won't see the new F until at least 2 yrs from now.

I will go as far as to predict that the major publications might even go as far as re-doing a battle of the V-8 sedans again since "there will be no more F."

The current circumstance is good for Lexus and I predict it was planned....
Old 03-15-13, 07:25 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^Agreed... now that the F is all over automotive news, people who never knew about it now do. So hopefully it gives the F more recognition and attention.
Old 03-15-13, 01:20 PM
DocEyes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yes I know. Never believe the sales team. When I picked up my '12 in November last year I asked my sales associate if he'd heard what the 2014 would be like. He said that after 2013, the IS-F was going away for at least 2 model years. This was four months ago, well before this article and I'd already purchased. I was picking the car up that day. Anyway, for what it's worth, which is very little considering the source, there's my story.

I'm new to Lexus, but from what I've learned about them as I researched my IS-F purchase, they seem to have put effort into trying to attract a different/younger buyer and get into the performance segment. Who knows what they're planning,but I'd hope they won't just pack it in. I hope a new F car in some way, shape or form will reappear. As said above...just a hiatus.

Last edited by DocEyes; 03-16-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 01:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

No one at a dealership has a clue about what Lexus USA is doing until they see the cars show up on their inventories. Lexus USA keeps very tight lipped about what is coming, and even those at the highest levels of the company do not have universal access to what is coming.

We'll know the truth when we hear it from Lexus USA. Until then, it's all speculation.
Old 03-18-13, 06:30 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No one at a dealership has a clue about what Lexus USA is doing until they see the cars show up on their inventories. Lexus USA keeps very tight lipped about what is coming, and even those at the highest levels of the company do not have universal access to what is coming.

We'll know the truth when we hear it from Lexus USA. Until then, it's all speculation.
True, but I'm trying to Order an ISF right now and this is my situation and this what they told me (I have the Email FWD to me from Lexus Corp)

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I've been working with my Preferred Lexus dealer in ATL on getting an ISF, which Before I heard about the "Cancellation" I was due to order a 2014 Current (2IS) Bodystyle later this year. When I heard about the 'Cancel of ISF, I got in touch with them and I have email copies from Lexus Corp, they fwd to me. The ISF will not live on in the 2014 (3IS) Bodystyle. So If i want one, I have to order my F (MY 2013) now than later because there is no later after a couple more months.

(My Source is the same people BLUEPRINT knows..)
Old 03-18-13, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

That makes perfect sense. Why would they retool the whole factory for the 3IS, and keep the tooling for a 2IS model selling less than 2k units world wide annually? Read what they say carefully, there is a hidden message there.
Old 03-19-13, 04:57 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, so they are changing the body style. Not much of a surprise there. Why is everyone thinking they will stop making is-f. They have this whole f sport line and y'all think they would stop making the flagship f sport car? That would be dumb. And if they did.....this would make our cars appreciate aka hot commodity.
Old 03-19-13, 08:08 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

I understand that Lexus is tight lipped and such. But this is horrible method to promote the F brand. When it comes to the M brand, there is no doubt a M car will come along. It's a matter of when after a new model of the 3,4,5,6, and the x series come out. This is part of what makes the M division legendary. If Lexus truly wants the F brand to be something similar. Then the life of the F brand should not be questioned.

I was driving a 2006 E46 M3 before I made the switch to my 2012 ISF. In fact I have both of them sitting in the garage. I am a M driver that Lexus got from BMW. They should be promoting the F brand and put out incredible car after incredible car.
Old 03-19-13, 10:30 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 82 Posts

I just a have a feeling that they're going to fizzle out the ISF and really push the 2dr RC-F.... then maybe in a couple of years, bring back the ISF in all of its glory but completely revamped.
Old 03-19-13, 07:34 PM
djeuch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I just a have a feeling that they're going to fizzle out the ISF and really push the 2dr RC-F.... then maybe in a couple of years, bring back the ISF in all of its glory but completely revamped.
This is your typical play when it comes to specialized models...

By suspending and coming back, it revitalizes the brand image!

I look forward to seeing what they do with the next IS-F!
Old 03-19-13, 08:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth...who knows if it's worth anything. I'm sure there are other members on the forum that are apart of the "Lexus Advisory Board", in which Lexus sends out surveys for you to fill out.

Lexus a few days ago had a survey that purely focused on performance cars, what I feel is important that a performance car should have, and also questions like does having a performance line up of cars help the image of a car company.

The last 4 surveys I've done have pretty heavily asked questions about performance oriented cars.
Old 03-19-13, 09:58 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I took that survey yesterday. It was heavily focused on the F branding and performance. It even had questions regarding M, AMG and S/RS. Maybe the survey results will be a factor in the future of the IS-F.
Old 03-19-13, 10:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Another member here who took that survey and is a member of the Lexus Advisory Board

Lou

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F Discontinued