IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 07:21 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It's very simplistic, but just like the above poster said, it's all about demand. Price doesn't automatically go up just because a car gets discontinued. The NSX and Supra are examples of cars that have somewhat of a cult following and are STILL highly desired by many enthusiasts. They stopped making the Neon SRT-4 and RSX-S, but those prices are still low because the demand really isn't there. Obviously the ISF if in a different class, but still, we don't know if it'll be more like the NSX or more like the RSX on the resale market.

I tend to think a V8 Lexus performance vehicle with over 400hp and an 8sp gearbox is something special and will be for years to come. I am not planning to change vehicles anytime soon at all, but when I get ready it'd be nice if the ISF has held its value well.
Old 03-10-13, 09:58 PM
vmatheboss
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i'd like to think the F is something more special then the rsx lmao....
Old 03-11-13, 05:08 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
It's very simplistic, but just like the above poster said, it's all about demand. Price doesn't automatically go up just because a car gets discontinued. The NSX and Supra are examples of cars that have somewhat of a cult following and are STILL highly desired by many enthusiasts. They stopped making the Neon SRT-4 and RSX-S, but those prices are still low because the demand really isn't there. Obviously the ISF if in a different class, but still, we don't know if it'll be more like the NSX or more like the RSX on the resale market.

I tend to think a V8 Lexus performance vehicle with over 400hp and an 8sp gearbox is something special and will be for years to come. I am not planning to change vehicles anytime soon at all, but when I get ready it'd be nice if the ISF has held its value well.
They're bringing back the SRT4 via the Dodge Dart (in 2014 or 2015). The initial pics look really good. Still not getting rid of my F though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...w=1920&bih=878
Old 03-11-13, 05:57 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by melbitoast
They're bringing back the SRT4 via the Dodge Dart (in 2014 or 2015). The initial pics look really good. Still not getting rid of my F though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...w=1920&bih=878
My best guess is that they'll just stop producing the ISF for a couple of years and then bring it back at some point as well. This really isn't a contradiction to what many people already assumed anyway... it took Lexus a couple of years after releasing the 2IS to produce the ISF. If they release the "new" ISF after the 3IS has been on the market for a couple of years, that'll fit right in to their model. This will allow then to drum up the paranoia that the ISF is being discontinued, and then the hype about it "coming back" which should benefit Lexus on both ends.

The thing that is the most concerning is that stat that they sold less than 500 of them total last year. It makes you wonder what the demand for these cars really is. We're all a bit biased as owners, but what about everyone else?
Old 03-11-13, 07:29 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
My best guess is that they'll just stop producing the ISF for a couple of years and then bring it back at some point as well. This really isn't a contradiction to what many people already assumed anyway... it took Lexus a couple of years after releasing the 2IS to produce the ISF. If they release the "new" ISF after the 3IS has been on the market for a couple of years, that'll fit right in to their model. This will allow then to drum up the paranoia that the ISF is being discontinued, and then the hype about it "coming back" which should benefit Lexus on both ends.

The thing that is the most concerning is that stat that they sold less than 500 of them total last year. It makes you wonder what the demand for these cars really is. We're all a bit biased as owners, but what about everyone else?
At this time in the US many people can't even pay their mortgages, needless to say they can't pay for a $60k car . I wonder if other cars in this price range are suffering as well? It would certainly provide useful evidence for my theory.
Old 03-11-13, 08:38 AM
MDISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
At this time in the US many people can't even pay their mortgages, needless to say they can't pay for a $60k car . I wonder if other cars in this price range are suffering as well? It would certainly provide useful evidence for my theory.
Saw this link on my350z.com's forum the other day:

http://www.interest.com/auto/news/car-prices-outpace-median-income/

Needless to say I was shocked and feel even more blessed.
Old 03-11-13, 09:00 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by TooFly4Ya
I'm with you on that. The $60K (and $65K-$70K w/options, tax, title) performance sedan market is an interesting one. I'm no marketing genius, but I think this is a fairly niche market. The car is large enough to adequately carry 4 passengers and a reasonable amount of stuff, but it is too small to really be the family sedan that a family of four would want to take on a vacation or extended road trip, especially if the kids are over about 8 or 9 years old. That means that for most families, this is not the primary family car. Most families with kids, like mine, have an SUV or a larger sedan that pulls that duty.

Then you have the younger guys and gals who aren't married and/or don't have kids yet. There are a lot of those enthusiasts here on CL that fit that demographic, but most of them can't really plop down upwards of $60K on a car quite yet, so they are largely looking on the used market for their ISF. Good for resale values, but not for new car sales.

Next you've got the group of people who are either empty-nesters, or at least whose kids are old enough that they are driving on their own to consider, can afford one or two nice cars, but not multiple high-dollar vehicles--- and this is probably the sweet spot for new ISF buyers. This is the group that is probably a bit more established financially, still has a need for 4 doors, but not an everyday need, and would be able to go buy a $65K car. This group is relatively small though, hence the sales figures.

Lastly, you have the pure car enthusiasts that have plenty of money and just want a cool car. This is the group that you have to convince they should buy a 4-door sedan rather than a coupe or roadster. I'm squarely in the family guy group so this isn't me, but if I didn't need 4 doors and I was going to spend $65K-$70K on a car, I'd be looking at something else... probably a used 911 or new Porsche Cayman S, or something else that is a little more nimble. Maybe even a used GTR. If I had the kind of money of say a ToothDoc or that other guy who has the 1M, M5, TT RS a couple of Porsches and is looking at a R8 just for kicks, I'd probably be rolling around in something like a GT3 or 911 Turbo S too.

The reality is that this is a hard segment for many car manufacturers to sell.
Old 03-11-13, 11:51 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
You know what's a good sales tactic? Keeping people guessing.

[...]

How many people on here have upgraded from an IS250/350 to IS F? I bet more than a handful...and that's only people on the forum.
I skipped the ISX50 and went straight to the F, still have the IS300 and have no plans to sell it.

Old 03-11-13, 01:26 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

So the ISF is confirmed to be discontinued?
Old 03-11-13, 01:27 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious as to what the sales numbers are on the CTS-V. I think if Lexus quit trying to simply match the competition, and instead, blow it out of the water...they would hit a homerun. I see a lot of CTS-V's and I think Cadillac did it right. Not only did they blow away performance numbers on the likes of the IS-F, M3, C63, etc..., they were blowing away their big brothers for about the same price of the little brothers. If you're not going to do a GS-F, then make an IS-F with 550hp and call it a day. Give people a REASON to buy this car over the competition, while keeping it priced with the little brothers. This is just me thinking out loud, but I think it kinda makes sense.
Old 03-11-13, 01:48 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow
So the ISF is confirmed to be discontinued?
Wait till you see it on Lexus.com....as of right now, it's ALL speculation.

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Curious as to what the sales numbers are on the CTS-V. I think if Lexus quit trying to simply match the competition, and instead, blow it out of the water...they would hit a homerun. I see a lot of CTS-V's and I think Cadillac did it right. Not only did they blow away performance numbers on the likes of the IS-F, M3, C63, etc..., they were blowing away their big brothers for about the same price of the little brothers. If you're not going to do a GS-F, then make an IS-F with 550hp and call it a day. Give people a REASON to buy this car over the competition, while keeping it priced with the little brothers. This is just me thinking out loud, but I think it kinda makes sense.
BMW and Mercedes are the only SERIOUS players in this market. The V is trying to make an impression, but isn't doing so well (I'm speculating because I don't see a lot of them). Here in CA you rarely see V cars. Then you have Audi RS4, but the RS4 is so damn expensive. It's 80k! OK...it has amazing AWD, but it's heavier, and has less power.

If Lexus wants to make a dent...CUT the BS and go for 500HP. This will make people want to buy it...powerful AND reliable. But as long as you have lunatic engineers working at AMG...They're always going to 1up everyone on power. Next gen C63 will probably have the same engine as the others...which is a 5.5L V8 Bi-Turbo...518HP with 516tq. That doesn't even have the AMG Development package yet!

BMW M (M=Marketing), has an extremely strong following. I would think that M probably outsold Lexus easily 5:1 and their 2014 M3 with a straight six TT is going to be very strong.

CarMax has almost 40 E90/E92 M3s for sale and only 8 IS Fs.
Old 03-11-13, 01:55 PM
pc1990
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Just F Me
You know what's a good sales tactic? Keeping people guessing. People like everyone here...thinking about what to do and what not to do. But what about people that like the new 3G IS look? Then they go buy the 2014 IS350 F-Sport...then later they release a 2015 IS F...people then sell their F-sport car and buy a IS F. This is basic sales 101...extending product life cycle.

Look at blitz_714....he had a IS350, then he got an IS F...they sold him two cars because he liked the car so much. However, I'm not sure if he KNEW there was an IS F coming out or not...I think when they released the IS in 2006...there was talk, but no one knew, then it came out.

How many people on here have upgraded from an IS250/350 to IS F? I bet more than a handful...and that's only people on the forum.
You are definitely right about this being a sales tactic. Lexus has more to lose by not continuing on their F-lineup.

On a sidenote...not me, I went from a 97' Carolla to the IS-F. Man I miss the drivability of the carolla....required no driver input at all haha, while the IS-F requires full attention at all times.

But on a serious note, again you are right about the upgrade patterns. I have read numerous threads about IS250/350 to ISF upgrades.

Good stuff man
Old 03-11-13, 01:59 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus really needs to market the F as both reliable AND powerful, after increasing the power of the engine. Ask 100 car-smart people the first aspect that comes to mind when someone mentions "Lexus".....I'm sure 90 of them will say reliability or luxury, not performance. But if Lexus promotes reliability AND performance, I think they will have a better chance of selling the F.
Old 03-11-13, 02:15 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think another advantage the comp has is a coupe. M3, C63, CTS-V, and Audi all have coupe versions, while Lexus is still stuck with the 4 door option only. Also, some of those guys offer an MT as well. Just more options with the competition that Lexus doesn't have. I think the current IS-F was a wonderful start, but it really needs to be expanded on to get the sales numbers up. They basically build one car that needs to fulfill the needs of everyone shopping. Not enough options IMO. The CTS-V covers all those bases with 150 more HP and about the same cost. Now combine all that with luxury and reliability and look what you've created!
Old 03-11-13, 02:44 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Lexus really needs to market the F as both reliable AND powerful, after increasing the power of the engine. Ask 100 car-smart people the first aspect that comes to mind when someone mentions "Lexus".....I'm sure 90 of them will say reliability or luxury, not performance. But if Lexus promotes reliability AND performance, I think they will have a better chance of selling the F.
I agree with you here, Lexus is not really known for performance unless you're in to the brand and then it's mostly the aftermarket crowd.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F Discontinued