IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

maybe superfluous...isf buying guide question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 12:56 PM
PaulDejong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool maybe superfluous...isf buying guide question?

I'm currently driving a Vauxhall Insignia VXR and am looking into buying a new or a secondhand car... so yes, i'm on the 'old' continent
I'm here, so I obviously want an isf...
Since i'm obviously a Dork for wanting one (Thanks Clarkson on Top Gear! ) and since my researches into this car left me in some doubt about which version to go for, I wanted to ask your opinion. As far as I can work out:
isf 2008-2010; no LSD and very firm suspension?
from 2010-2011: LSD and more pliable suspension...
2012: LSD and more changes to suspension, but still reasonable...
2013: LSD and again firmer suspension?
minor changes to electronics (satnav, aso) over the years...

So, what do you guys recon is the best model year to go for?
Which modelyear strikes the best balance in your opinion?
I do like my dental fillings to still be in place when i arrive after a drive but i do not mind some firmness...
I drove an EVO IX ('09) and a WRX STI ('05) before my VXR...the suspension on those were more or less OK. (my mother-in-law would disagree... one more reason to buy one! ) How does the ISF (<10 and >13) compare suspension-wise?

Any idea as to why Lexus deceided to firm up again, whereas the biggest gripe (in carmagazine-tests) with the early cars was their overly firm suspension (and the lack of an LSD for track-use)?

Thanks,

Paul

PS. My reasons to look into Lexus is it's reputation for ownership satisfaction and because i've had some bad experiences with 'the germans' (opel, bmw, audi) before... (cars and dealers let me down, whereas the rice-rockets were utterly dependable despite being 'abused' from time to time ) and because i like to go 'against' the flow...

Last edited by PaulDejong; 03-08-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 12:58 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the newest one you can afford
Old 03-08-13, 01:03 PM
PaulDejong
Driver School Candidate

I expected that one!
No seriously...i'm inclined to go for the 2012 model... is the '13 ride back to 2008 levels?
I live in Belgium, and our roads are not the smoothest, to say the least!
Old 03-08-13, 01:14 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roads are complete crap where I live, I own an 08 and don't think the ride is harsh at all. It's subjective.. I don't know how harsh the Vauxhall is. If you get to drive spiritedly on occasion, get the 2010+ with LSD. Otherwise you won't notice a difference. Besides that there are some cosmetic differences over the years you could base your decision on such as: odometer setup (bigger tach in 2011+), piano black finish surrounding GPS(2009+) , alcantara seats (2011+)......and of course the wheels have changed over the years.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 03-08-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 01:15 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ive only driven in my 11 and i only had it on stock suspension for a lil while and i am on tien springs now and with 20's meaning low profile tires and to me i dont mind the ride at all i would want my F to be slightly firm since it is a sports car of sorts not just a plush caddy i think you will be fine but i would deff stick with 2011+ if you can afford it
Old 03-08-13, 02:00 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The "harsh suspension" of the 08-10 models is largely overblown in my opinion, and I've driven the newer '11. There are reasons to get a newer model year compared to an older one, but don't let the firmness of the suspension be a deciding factor because it isn't that big a deal.

I'd go with a 2012 if your budget will allow it. I was only willing to spend about $50K out the door when I was shopping, and I bought the best car in the right color that I could find within that budget, which at the time was a 2009 with 13,000mi on the odometer. I love the 2012 wheels and headlights though, and since those will likely have the lowest mileage out there besides new cars, that's what I'd get if you are willing to pay the money for one.
Old 03-08-13, 02:24 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
Get the newest one you can afford
Agreed! But go with the newer one you could afford that has lesser mileage and is in the better condition... I know, I know... Hello Capatin Obvious. Just saying as long as you feel you made the right choice with whichever model, it wouldnt matter which year you get
Old 03-08-13, 03:56 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Paul. Welcome. It always helps when you've done your research, which you clearly have done. Like was mentioned previously, besides the LSD, the 08-10 suspension differences are a bit overblown.

I would still aim for the newest model possible, but mainly because of interior upgrades, headlight upgrades, gauge cluster upgrades, and wheel upgrades (or feel call any of these upgrades "changes" instead, but to me they were all upgrades, which is why I waited and waited until I found a new '12 at a price I thought was better than reasonable and willing to pay 6 months later I'm still in love!

Good luck!
Old 03-09-13, 11:09 AM
PaulDejong
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replys guys!
I would go for the 2011 or 2012 with between 5 and 15k Miles on... I only live 100 Miles from the famous Nurburgring, so a blast now and then is definitly on the cards, so a version with LSD is the way to go.
@Vtothej: My vauxhall (your buick regal)has adaptive suspension, so very comfortable in comfort, and pretty harsh on 20" wheels in sport mode... but neither of the settings really 'fit'... it has 330 bhp, and 4WD so it's fast enough but it's not a sporty car like my STI or EVO... and don't get me started on reliability...and you guys think 900$ for a set of front discs is expensive? I had to fork out 2700$ for the vauxhal's!! and no aftermarket parts available!
The sooner i can get rid of it, the better!