IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 09:53 PM
Lunatrix
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey all, just bought an 08 ISF last week with 94k on the odometer. after having and driving it a while now i notice the transmission isnt always smoothest and sometimes slightly slips. normally when im going slow right turns, or wide open, if im just putting a little pep in it it seems pretty good. dunno if that means anything. ive been considering getting a fluid and filter change but am worried that it might end up damaging the transmission more. anyone have any inputs or thoughts? never bangs into any gears although when i put it into park and let off the brake it seems like the shift linkage slightly shifts and nudges quickly but isnt a bang going into park at all.its my first sports car and besides this ive fixed all the problems its had (besides a speaker in the back where the plastic head inside the speaker came loose and is rattling around in there) so im hoping i can maybe get some insight into this more. ill probably end up bringing it to my local lexus dealer for all of this because it seems like it could get a little complicated, and im not much of a mechanic, my dad is a wizard with cars but wouldnt want to put something like this on him since its a pretty crucial part of the car.

its my understanding that if any of these problems start to arise its irreversible and already too late.

should edit: only slips when changing gears...never while in a gear revving through. just when shifting.

thanks for anyone with a response, glad to be a part of the lexus family!

Last edited by Lunatrix; 10-05-19 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 07:51 PM
Onsit
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Pardon the grave digging, bringing this post back from the boneyard.

Going to take care of this in my GS-F once it is closer to 50k. My car has developed that ghetto-supercharger whine, shift flares up and will red line in 3/4th at times without shifting. So seems like a great time to swap fluid and filter by dropping the pan.

I cross referenced all the partnumbers between IS-F, GS-F, RC-F and these look to be the same between them as found throughout the thread.
  • Using a harbor freight Zurich scan tool for temp monitoring
  • 00289-ATFWS x10-12 (You'll use 6 or so for filter replacement and pan drop, remaining 6 quarts for 2 more refill cycles).
  • 35178-30010 x2 (Crush Washer)
  • 35168-50010 (Pan Gasket)
  • 35330-50030 (Transmission Filter)
  • 90301-31014 (WS Fill Plug Oring)
I don't think I missed anything however I am curious if it's worht simply ordering the aftermarket Beck & Arnley kit from RockAuto that has the Filter, O-Ring, and Pan gasket as a combo.

Last edited by Onsit; 05-04-20 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lend0 (07-28-20)
Old 05-04-20, 10:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Still under power train warranty..? A Lexus Master Tech should be able to cover this under warranty if so, at your local dealer.

Plus I always recommend OEM verified parts when it comes to critical items.. But that's just me..

Joe Z

Old 05-04-20, 11:08 PM
Onsit
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Still under power train warranty..? A Lexus Master Tech should be able to cover this under warranty if so, at your local dealer.

Plus I always recommend OEM verified parts when it comes to critical items.. But that's just me..

Joe Z
​​​​​​I read through a good bit of the posts in this thread, and the common trend was the dealer charging for the fluid swap a(300-500)per the 50k service under the category "top off any fluids".

Couldn't find anyone really chiming in and stating if a dealer was able to do a flush for free under powertrain if they were able to confirm sticking gear shifts or excessive whine.
Old 05-04-20, 11:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Onsit
​​​​​​I read through a good bit of the posts in this thread, and the common trend was the dealer charging for the fluid swap a(300-500)per the 50k service under the category "top off any fluids".

Couldn't find anyone really chiming in and stating if a dealer was able to do a flush for free under powertrain if they were able to confirm sticking gear shifts or excessive whine.
All IS F have past their 4 year / 50k mile bumper to bumper warranty.
Along with the 5 year / 70k mile powertrain warranty..

Your GS F should be covered if the correct service writer and master tech know how to diagnose the deficiencies occurring..

And of course how you express your unhappiness of the transmissions performance.

They may drain the fluid and find material.. They may drain the fluid and just top off with partial fresh fluid and set the levels correctly...

I've been told a full fluid replacement can "shock" the transmission.. I've done partial drain refills every 50k miles.

I too had shift flares and was solved with correction to fluid level.

Joe Z
Old 05-05-20, 09:14 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Onsit
  • Using a harbor freight Zurich scan tool for temp monitoring
Which model of Zurich reads ATF temperature?
Old 05-06-20, 07:36 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm also assuming you all are letting the transmission get to temperatures before ever going WOT?
Old 05-06-20, 07:41 PM
Onsit
Driver

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Which model of Zurich reads ATF temperature?
Was hoping it would work, testing it today and my Zurich zr13 can't read ATF but it can read TPMS/SRS/ABS and some extended lexus codes. Shame.

Going to try Torque Pro, and if all else fails dig up my Tactrix 2.0 cable + Techstream.
The following users liked this post:
BlckGhst (05-07-20)
Old 05-07-20, 08:11 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IronNam
I'm also assuming you all are letting the transmission get to temperatures before ever going WOT?
I definitely do that

Most of us probably do

Old 05-07-20, 11:42 AM
duttymon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto; 4 bars or else i'm driving in normal mode with a light foot.
Old 07-26-20, 08:12 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts
Default ATF Flush and Filter Change Experience & Observations

I had the transmission fluid and filter replacement service performed by dealer (Longo Lexus) this weekend.
2011 w/116k miles. I am the 3rd owner, and I have no records of this service or any fluid drain/fill being performed to date. I have no reason to doubt it was the factory fill.

Cost:
Parts + Labor = $100 + $385 ~ $500

Parts list:
Transmission Filter - Lexus (35330-50030)
Strainer O-Ring - Lexus (90301-31014)
Pan Gasket - Lexus (35168-50010)
Trans Pan Gasket - Lexus (35178-30010) x2
Trans Pan Drain Plug - Lexus (90341-10021)...front
Drain Plug - Lexus (90341-10011)...rear
World Standard Autom - Lexus (00289-ATFWS)...I think 6qts were required, but not itemized on my invoice

Logistical notes if selecting a shop do this service:
1) Make sure to distinguish between drain/fill and drain/replace filter/fill/level procedures, as discussed throughout this thread.
2) As Lobuxracer covers in post #84 and post #209, if ambient temperatures are in high 70's°F, this is definitely a 2-day job to allow for cooling off overnight prior to the leveling procedure.

Observations:
On the drive home from the shop, I noticed smoother yet quicker and crisper shifts in both "D" automatic and in "M" manual modes. A evening canyon drive confirmed that rev-matched downshifts in "M" and Sport mode are much quicker. Prior to the service, the rev-matches were lazy by comparison, and under many conditions seemed more like a conventional automatic slip-fest than the then-state-of-art control the car was designed to have. Upshifts in "M" mode are also quicker and more responsive, yet somehow still smooth. Bottom line = the transmission is awake and refreshed now, and I am pleased with the result.

Last edited by ChpEng; 07-26-20 at 08:13 PM. Reason: grammar
The following 3 users liked this post by ChpEng:
kzlflash (01-01-22), lobuxracer (07-27-20), Positron (07-26-20)
Old 07-27-20, 06:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
I had the transmission fluid and filter replacement service performed by dealer (Longo Lexus) this weekend.
2011 w/116k miles. I am the 3rd owner, and I have no records of this service or any fluid drain/fill being performed to date. I have no reason to doubt it was the factory fill.

Cost:
Parts + Labor = $100 + $385 ~ $500

Parts list:
Transmission Filter - Lexus (35330-50030)
Strainer O-Ring - Lexus (90301-31014)
Pan Gasket - Lexus (35168-50010)
Trans Pan Gasket - Lexus (35178-30010) x2
Trans Pan Drain Plug - Lexus (90341-10021)...front
Drain Plug - Lexus (90341-10011)...rear
World Standard Autom - Lexus (00289-ATFWS)...I think 6qts were required, but not itemized on my invoice

Logistical notes if selecting a shop do this service:
1) Make sure to distinguish between drain/fill and drain/replace filter/fill/level procedures, as discussed throughout this thread.
2) As Lobuxracer covers in post #84 and post #209, if ambient temperatures are in high 70's°F, this is definitely a 2-day job to allow for cooling off overnight prior to the leveling procedure.

Observations:
On the drive home from the shop, I noticed smoother yet quicker and crisper shifts in both "D" automatic and in "M" manual modes. A evening canyon drive confirmed that rev-matched downshifts in "M" and Sport mode are much quicker. Prior to the service, the rev-matches were lazy by comparison, and under many conditions seemed more like a conventional automatic slip-fest than the then-state-of-art control the car was designed to have. Upshifts in "M" mode are also quicker and more responsive, yet somehow still smooth. Bottom line = the transmission is awake and refreshed now, and I am pleased with the result.
IMHO, between getting the level right and replacing any worn out mounts, you'll think it's a different car entirely because it's so much better.
Old 07-28-20, 09:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
IMHO, between getting the level right and replacing any worn out mounts, you'll think it's a different car entirely because it's so much better.
I was going to remind @ChpEng to replace the Trans Mount as well to maximize performance feedback...

If he hasn't done it yet it's a simple DIY process along with the shift lever bushing / linkage

TWO new must dos for these aging IS F's

Joe Z
Old 07-28-20, 09:17 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I was going to remind @ChpEng to replace the Trans Mount as well to maximize performance feedback...

If he hasn't done it yet it's a simple DIY process along with the shift lever bushing / linkage

TWO new must dos for these aging IS F's

Joe Z
Not to go off topic but can point me in the tight direction for your shifter linkage job? I remember reading about it a couple of months ago but can't locate the thread? It may have blended in with the transmission mount thread or something.
Old 07-28-20, 10:28 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Not to go off topic but can point me in the tight direction for your shifter linkage job? I remember reading about it a couple of months ago but can't locate the thread? It may have blended in with the transmission mount thread or something.
I was just looking at it...it's the Wheel of Fortune thread, post 62:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10789620
The following 2 users liked this post by ChpEng:
Joe Z (07-28-20), xdejablu3x (07-28-20)

Quick Reply: Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1