IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mother of all changing ATF in tranny threads - Level set instructions link in post #1

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-24, 11:26 AM
c111jp
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Shortly after my last post, I went on to re-adjust level again and I ended up even more confused lol. So last time, I've added about 200ml extra after there was no oil coming from overflow. This time, when I opened the overflow, no oil came out. Not sure what's up with that since I've did like only 500km since adjusting the level. I've added about 200 ml, let it cool off for about 30min so the temp is in range and went to check again. At this point I was starting to get confused about the procedure and whether it is necessary to row through gears etc. Every time I was doing the check so far, I never did those shifter dancing / pins shorting steps that would activate the temperature on the cluster since I've been reading the temps through OBD but I did row a bit through R and D so the oil circulates around. I figured this time I would not go through gears at all and I got nearly 500ml out! At this point I just called it a day and to add to the confusion... Gear holding is actually way better now but it's still here in some cases. With basically less oil than I had after the change. Still not clear to which extent, if at all would 3.7 diff affect the whole gear holding.

So my question is, is it absolutely necessary to do the shifter sequence and teminal shorting if you're reading temp through OBD?
I think I will just keep adding 100ml every time I'm working something around the car, until I get to about 300-400ml and see how it behaves. 2 unknowns are whether 3.7 diff and having extra oil affect the gear holding.
Old 05-28-24, 10:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

That's what is in the factory service manual. Short the pins, activate the temperature mode, unshort the pins and remove the plug when the P is flashing even with Techstream. If nothing comes out, you need more. If some comes out, let it go until it is a very small stream then put the level plug back in.

There are things that happen with the ECM when you put it in sensing mode. You also have to have the HVAC, lights, and any other electrical load turned off while doing this to stabilize the idle speed. The manual specifically calls this out.

You can do this any way you like, but you can't expect to get the same results as the factory method if you choose to do this differently.
Old 05-29-24, 09:26 AM
c111jp
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's what is in the factory service manual. Short the pins, activate the temperature mode, unshort the pins and remove the plug when the P is flashing even with Techstream. If nothing comes out, you need more. If some comes out, let it go until it is a very small stream then put the level plug back in.

There are things that happen with the ECM when you put it in sensing mode. You also have to have the HVAC, lights, and any other electrical load turned off while doing this to stabilize the idle speed. The manual specifically calls this out.

You can do this any way you like, but you can't expect to get the same results as the factory method if you choose to do this differently.

I absolutely agree. I assumed the shifter / pins sequence was only for purpose of bringing out the indicator on the dash if you don't have a way to connect to the car. I've seen people doing it with laser thermometer so I thought it's only a matter of reading the temperature. Will do the whole procedure again with all steps.

Also forgot to mention in my previous post, shifts being very firm seem to be not because of the oil but I guess reseting AT memory in TS does something even if it throws the error. If I do the reset (with error message saying it failed because vehicle doesn't support it) the shifts are firm. If I disconnect the battery and reset the ECU, shifts are soft again.
Old 05-30-24, 11:08 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

My apologies if this has been discussed already, but how is everyone measuring that the car is level?

I have admittedly been doing fluid changes and leveling the car using the bottom of the transmission pan as the reference for level. After looking at the service manual again before the last fluid change I noticed I probably should have been using the upper flange of the pan to determine where level is, as illustrated by the picture below.

Last edited by 93MSB; 05-30-24 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-31-24, 12:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

I use the floor pan seam between the jackstands.
Old 06-14-24, 10:21 AM
c111jp
Rookie

Haven't had time to do full level adjustment procedure but the other day when changing oil, I've poured in additional 300ml in the trans just to see which way it goes and right away, gear holding got much worse (from almost nearly none). So I guess last time when I did the level adjustment it was more or less correct and at least on my car, having more trans fluid will also cause gear holding, just like not having enough. I will confirm once again when I do the full level set procedure.
Old 06-14-24, 09:43 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Does the gear-holding happen only when the transmission is cold? This is when it happens on MY11.