IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Yeah, another detail on a F

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 08:25 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
No problem man. You put so much effort into your posts and the cars you detail. People dont understand how amazing these new coatings are just because they have no experience with them. The cool thing is they are so easy to apply and the results are just incredible.
You got it! Great products.

Just saw forum sponsor, Detailer's Domain, post up this thread in the Detailing Section...

Detailer's Domain heads to P Tuning to Opti Coat 10 cars in 2 days!

... much just be a big waste of time since apparently these coatings don't work though, huh?
Old 04-03-13, 08:26 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Not gonna lie, this back and forth has me feeling like I need to get my car coated in 22ple afterall. I'm still not paying $1000 for a detailing job though (again, at least not until I get my 458 Italia ).
Old 04-03-13, 08:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by vbb
Not gonna lie, this back and forth has me feeling like I need to get my car coated in 22ple afterall. I'm still not paying $1000 for a detailing job though (again, at least not until I get my 458 Italia ).
No one needs to have their car coated. Proper applications of sealant and/or wax will be adequate to protect your car, you just need to make sure you do it regularly.

As far as the paint correction - you can purchase the tools and equipment required for much less than $1000, and it is quite easy to learn. The dual action polishers are very safe, even for beginners that have never machine polished before. The risk of "burning" your paint is slim to none.

I can elaborate on the products needed if you would like.
-zach
Old 04-03-13, 08:59 AM
jack7824
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the opti-coat kit yourself and do it for $60. Of course that requires lots of elbow grease in prepping the paint and proper application. A competitive price for detail and coating in Socal is $500 or less, depending on workmanship. $1k seems way high, unless a massage is included.
Old 04-03-13, 09:01 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

lmao....zmcgovern4 is serious about this.....

As I've said....It's not that I don't believe the product won't do a great job protecting the car. It's the fact that people are saying it lasts for the life of the car. If people said this product will last 12 months...ok...maybe i'll buy that statement, but the life of the car? common now...

You even said it yourself when you say

"Swirls, scratches, oxidation, etc are all still going to occur even with the coating... but you will NOT need to seal or wax your car while the coating is on your vehicle. Chances are you will need to polish the car again at some point, which would remove the coating, however another benefit of having the coating is that when polishing, you are removing less clear coat since the coating was there. make sense?"

If you're removing the coating by performing paint correction...then does it last the life time of the car? That is the statement in which i'm revolving around that it's a false claim...not the fact that it doesn't do a great job in protecting the car.

Maybe I'll buy some of this opti-coat and do half of the hood of my car and see how it looks after a few years.
Old 04-03-13, 09:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Just F Me
lmao....zmcgovern4 is serious about this.....

As I've said....It's not that I don't believe the product won't do a great job protecting the car. It's the fact that people are saying it lasts for the life of the car. If people said this product will last 12 months...ok...maybe i'll buy that statement, but the life of the car? common now...

You even said it yourself when you say

"Swirls, scratches, oxidation, etc are all still going to occur even with the coating... but you will NOT need to seal or wax your car while the coating is on your vehicle. Chances are you will need to polish the car again at some point, which would remove the coating, however another benefit of having the coating is that when polishing, you are removing less clear coat since the coating was there. make sense?"

If you're removing the coating by performing paint correction...then does it last the life time of the car? That is the statement in which i'm revolving around that it's a false claim...not the fact that it doesn't do a great job in protecting the car.
^Don't you take your job seriously? I would hope so.

Removing the coating by performing paint correction is a choice... you are choosing to remove the coating by machine polishing the paint. The coating is not wearing off or failing. Therefore this is absolutely NOT a false claim that the coating can and will last the life of the car... At this point you are just trying to find ways to keep up your argument.
Old 04-03-13, 11:42 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

For Zach (and Zack) and any other detailing gurus out there:
Can you do a scratch/swirl remover from 3M clear bra material, or is that pretty much screwed? Zapa has seen my car. It could be better, but it isn't that bad. Where my swirls and scratches are most pronounced however are on the clearbra that I have going about 1/3rd of the way up my hood. It isn't even a year old, but I think the guy who detailed my car last didn't use a different pad when he transitioned to the clearbra and now it looks marred up. I'm tempted to just take it off, as rock chips would probably look better, but if it can be fixed, I'll fix it.

By the way, I plan on giving Zapa the next shot to detail my car. He lives around the corner from me. It is black, so his skills should show through if he's good . I'm thinking a 1 or 2 step at most will be all I need.

Here it was after my last detail about 6 months ago:
Old 04-03-13, 11:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by vbb
Can you do a scratch/swirl remover from 3M clear bra material, or is that pretty much screwed? Zapa has seen my car. It could be better, but it isn't that bad. Where my swirls and scratches are most pronounced however are on the clearbra that I have going about 1/3rd of the way up my hood. It isn't even a year old, but I think the guy who detailed my car last didn't use a different pad when he transitioned to the clearbra and now it looks marred up. I'm tempted to just take it off, as rock chips would probably look better, but if it can be fixed, I'll fix it.

By the way, I plan on giving Zapa the next shot to detail my car. He lives around the corner from me. It is black, so his skills should show through if he's good . I'm thinking a 1 or 2 step at most will be all I need.

Here it was after my last detail about 6 months ago:
It can most likely be improved. Some clear bras, however, seem to be pretty resistant to polishing... though in my experience it is usually the older films that do not clean up well. The newer, clearer films can look great... see pics below.

Before:

After:

Yeah, you shouldn't need more than a 2 step with soft Lexus paint... a 1 step would typically suffice if you have only very minimal swirls. But since the paint is so soft, even a moderate polish can leave marring behind, forcing you to do a 2nd step with a very fine finishing polish for best results. It sounds like Zapa is a great candidate for the job! He seems to know exactly what he is doing!
Old 04-03-13, 12:41 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, knoweledge isgreat power, and lac ofshould drive research..ome shoul not judge based upon lack thereof..but here are some pics of extensive corrections with optimum as sealant. Thres cars below were wet sanded with 3M trizact, polished wth Menzerna FG400/MeguirsMF pad with PC orbital, then Menzerna 2500/LC whitepad with Flex orbital withforced rotation, then Menzerna 4000,4500 polish/LC blue and black pad with Makita rotary, and then Optimum with Wolfang Fuzion on top enjoy a few pics. Heres some before and afters..on cars at 200K plus
Attached Thumbnails Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0158.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0176.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0277.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0270.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0273.jpg  

Old 04-03-13, 12:48 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

here are some more photos i ould resist..srry if to large I amtransfering them on ipad. Just applied optimum to the F to sho clarity of this sealant after full wet sand etc.
Attached Thumbnails Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0974-copy.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0973-copy.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_0970-copy.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_9397.jpg   Yeah, another detail on a F-img_9400.jpg  

Old 04-03-13, 01:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Good looking F you've got there
Old 04-03-13, 03:08 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

I do remember your clear bra looking all jacked up and I actually spent some time looking at how to fix it. I do believe I can make it look better but how much. I am not sure until I have the car in front of me. Your car had some swirling going on and a few deeper scratches when I looked at it last time. I will see your car at cars and coffee this weekend and take another look.

Like I said man 22ple is am amazing product and it will be going on my car as soon as my new paint cures.

Let me know if you want it done before the dover meet so you can be looking like a boss. Black cars are my favorite to detail.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It can most likely be improved. Some clear bras, however, seem to be pretty resistant to polishing... though in my experience it is usually the older films that do not clean up well. The newer, clearer films can look great... see pics below.

Yeah, you shouldn't need more than a 2 step with soft Lexus paint... a 1 step would typically suffice if you have only very minimal swirls. But since the paint is so soft, even a moderate polish can leave marring behind, forcing you to do a 2nd step with a very fine finishing polish for best results. It sounds like Zapa is a great candidate for the job! He seems to know exactly what he is doing!
Thanks man. I am always trying to get better and better. It is a never ending cycle as I am sure you know.
Old 04-03-13, 03:21 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i invested in some 22ple. ill let ya know in time how it is to my regular zaino routine
id say im pretty good
thats what my service advisor tells me lol
Old 04-03-13, 03:37 PM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hahahaf
i invested in some 22ple. ill let ya know in time how it is to my regular zaino routine
id say im pretty good
thats what my service advisor tells me lol
You will love 22ple!

vbb... Tell zapa to throw some 22ple on your next detail

StealthFF... Really nice pics men
Old 04-04-13, 11:16 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cyclerider

I like the fog lamps too. Where did you get them?
I forgot to answer this They are the factory fogs

Quick Reply: Yeah, another detail on a F