IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF owners with BC coilovers...question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 07:25 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF owners with BC coilovers...question

I have an 08 ISF and am looking to help my ride quality (mostly performance-wise but also cruising-wise for her). And let me preface this with a few things:

* My wife has dealt with some super harsh Evo 8 track JIC coilovers in the past with only minimal complaints. Somehow she even took naps while I was driving.
* She is now pregnant.
* She doesn't complain about the ISF ride quality but I know it's not great and it actually bothers me more.
* We will be driving her SUV more in the coming months but my car still needs to be livable with kid in tow.

I've been looking at the 14k/10k BC coilovers from Figs after chatting with him a bit. So I plan to go that route but he mentioned:

"Also be sure to look at our rear lower control arms to fix camber and toe issues when lowered and our high performance front bushings."

I just wanted to check with other ISF's to see if that/what would be recommended. This isn't a track car so if I can get no camber with just coils I consider that done.

Did any of you do LCA too or just the coils and call it a day (after an alignment)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-13, 09:40 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i just installed the 14/10k set up with swift springs. it will be a night and day diff from oem. i used Figs recommendation at 9 clicks front and 14 clicks back and it was almost like stock. stiff but sporty . now im at 17 front and 21 rear and it's smooth as hell, especially how low i am. i wonder how smoother it can be but im not sure id want that.

My camber is bad in in front only, the front i i will have to order Figs camber bushings for the arms. 1 degree will be good enough and will have no clearance issues like the SPC ball joints.
Old 04-16-13, 02:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just ordered bcr from fig in 16/12 and am still waiting for them. Fig told me because I road course and have wider than oem tires to bump the spring rates because 14/10 would be to soft for track time
Old 04-16-13, 02:23 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. I had heard the it's better to go 16/12 with either larger tires or significant performance mods...maybe even just a cat-back although that seems pretty unreasonable to me.

I think for my DD use with stock wheels the 14/10 is a good fit. It sounds like the adjustability is reasonable and I can probably figure out a nice setting.
Old 04-16-13, 02:39 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ that's fits as I am he heaily modded with wider rims and tires going into 16/12
Old 04-16-13, 05:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,992 Likes on 2,416 Posts

I don't think you need any mods to need 16kg springs in front. The car needs a LOT more front spring from the factory if you want to keep your inside rear on the ground.
Old 04-16-13, 07:30 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

side note: The IS sedan really isnt kid friendly....if you want to ride with a child in car seat you basically have to push the front seat all the way forward...we use out 4Runner to go everywhere.

Only on short trips does my daughter ride in my F.
Old 04-16-13, 07:34 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Yeah. To be honest we won't be using my car to transport "the family" for any trips for likely a year or more. So I can probably get away with a lot now that I think about it haha. We will be driving the wife's Terrain 99% of the time.

So I'm more just concerned with us having a date night out and the suspension being too aggressive. But I do think it'll be fine.
Old 04-16-13, 07:45 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I shared this with a few others asking the same questions... I spoke with a bunch of other people before I made my decision.Im glad i went with the 16/12 and Swift Springs, it rides and handles great. I set the dampening up at -15 front and -15 rear to start off with, that is how many clicks down from the stiffest settings. You have a total of 30 or 32 clicks I believe, so I'm right in the middle and its super smooth! If you go 14/10 its too soft in my opinion (I've based that off of other threads and my buddies who went 14/10) and you have to set dampening at the max to get a performance ride so IMO I don't recommend 14/10 spring rates if you're looking for a "sportier" ride. With 16/12 you are still able to get comfort and performance for the track or spirited driving. I've noticed a feeling of incresed "grip" and "hugging" for the corners in some canyons that im very familiar with and there is a very significant difference in the handling. The car never feels like it is getting loose and just feels very stable. I need to get the F-Sport sway bar as well and im sure its going to make an even bigger difference.
Old 04-16-13, 07:58 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW.... Anxiouz, I found this thread really helpful in making my decision... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-comfort.html
Old 04-17-13, 01:54 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Awesome! Thanks so much for your opinion and that link. Really great input there.

I think you just saved me from being disappointed with the 14/10 setup. Basically what you've described above about your car and preference is exactly what I like.

I guess I didn't think that the adjustability was really all that noticeable but after reading a bunch it seems like the BC's do adjust well. I know some coils say they do but don't.

My birthday is in a month so I figure I've got another week or so to research and then order. But I'm now looking into 16/12.
Old 04-17-13, 04:12 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I guess I didn't think that the adjustability was really all that noticeable but after reading a bunch it seems like the BC's do adjust well. I know some coils say they do but don't.
The difference between 20 clicks from stiff and 10 clicks is noticeable-- let alone playing with the entire range. I went with 16k/12k and I've found it to be more than suitable for the street.
Old 04-17-13, 04:50 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks. That's great to hear. Another checkmark in my 16/12 column.
Old 04-17-13, 05:32 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Another vote for 16/12 and Swift springs!
Old 04-22-13, 12:15 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Thanks for all of the input!

I just placed an order for the 16/12 setup but without the Swift springs. I know they're better but it was a compromise I was willing to make. I don't believe I would honestly be able to tell the difference and I can use that money for other goodies instead.

Quick Reply: ISF owners with BC coilovers...question