IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Selling the ISF???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 12:26 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget that the NSX is more than likely a collector's car by now or at least considered a collector’s car by many. Which means you will either baby it or keep it for a long time then sell for profit. Not sure if it makes any difference, but make sure you factor that in b/c you probably won’t want to put too many miles onto what it already has. Contrary to what many people think, heavily modifed NSXs do not increase it's value. Collectors stay away from those. Only wheels and a drop should be done on NSXs, since they're legendary cars.

That’s why I like the idea of keeping the F and then buying an NSX. Just a new angle of looking at this potential…..hope it helps.
Old 04-18-13, 12:14 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't know much about the new one, so I can't tell you if to buy or not to buy. I myself research out these kind of purchases for several years.

One thing is for sure, you won't get the wonderful, fuel injected V8 sound!
Old 04-18-13, 12:35 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you were talking about the new NSX lol. Iv seen old NSX's go from like 15,000-80,000$ still based on condition and miles. I wouldnt trade my F for an old one. Maybe buy one for a 2nd toy or something though.
Old 05-21-13, 05:21 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy pointed me to this thread, I have the NSX, a few s2000's, and sold the IS-F for an M3 sedan so all of these cars I've had nearly at the same time or still own.

First let me say don't let all of these opinions sway you, the NSX is a true collector's car that really needs to be owned/driven to know. It "only" has 290hp but it's nearly as fast at my supercharged s2000! The aluminum body and low weight makes this a truly fast car even in N/A form. Supercharged ones are basically in the super-car class of power output. It won't beat a GTR or Vette but that is not what the NSX is about and if you are looking for one, then you already know. Mint late model cars are nearly impossible to find and if you want white, good luck there are roughly 21 of them since 2002....

The NSX is 100% different from the s2000 as well. I daily drive my s2000's and never worry about the car. It's nimble, easy to park and cheap to maintain. The NSX's driving position is totally different but it rewards you with great steering and a position that is almost fighter jet like. The s2000 is quick but feels heavier than the NSX at speed. My supercharged s2000 is fun but doesn't have the rawness of my N/A AP1 s2000 nor the NSX. I had thoughts to supercharge it but as one poster said, it's best to keep the NSX mostly stock except for wheels/suspension/exhaust. It's a near perfect car in stock form, yes it's that good

If I had to grab the keys to a car to go out for a quick errand, it will almost always be the s2000. Save the IS-F and s2000 for DD duties instead.

The IS-F and M3 are great cars in their own right and I would pick those if I had to take my kids out and want a relaxing drive. Otherwise they are both gas guzzlers and not as much fun with their heavy weight and isolated sound.

IMO you can't own just any one of these cars, so if you can only afford one car OR if you need a trunk, back seats, kid duty, I'd say just stick to your IS-F.

The NSX is a play toy at best and I drive it maybe once a month with the wifey.

here's a cool shot of all 3 cars (minus the s2000) *M3 and IS-F in this shot are friend's rides and not mine!

here's mine in the garage:

Last edited by s4play; 05-21-13 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 06:40 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
I'm not going to talk you out of it, but I can see how the NSX would be a good choice reliability/ repair cost wise

My cousin has one, I always tease about how its the most exotic honda accord ever.

NSX is a great car but i'm thinking its a downgrade

+1 on owning both..
I agree with these comments. I also would explore parts availabilities.

With that said, you are going to badly miss your F.

Hang on to the stallion. Buy the RCF in 2015.
Old 05-22-13, 07:36 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

the NSX is definitely NOT a downgrade ~ OP has to ask himself what he plans to use this car for.....

IS-F is a fun sport sedan that can also double as a Daily Driver. NSX is a true weekend only sports car "toy".

Most people who buy a car such as the NSX (or GTR, Ferrari, Lambo) have plenty of other rides and use it occasionally. Yes all of those cars are weekend only cars. I know some people daily drive them but that is rare.
Old 05-22-13, 12:39 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4play
the NSX is definitely NOT a downgrade ~ OP has to ask himself what he plans to use this car for.....

IS-F is a fun sport sedan that can also double as a Daily Driver. NSX is a true weekend only sports car "toy".

Most people who buy a car such as the NSX (or GTR, Ferrari, Lambo) have plenty of other rides and use it occasionally. Yes all of those cars are weekend only cars. I know some people daily drive them but that is rare.
Thank you for the excellent report on each of those cars.

My ISF was daily driven but now its only driven a couple times a week at most. I have other vehicles to shuttle the family in and take back and forth to work.

Since the ISF has taken more of a weekend position in my life, my eyes have started to wander.... A toy may be nice. Its hard to move away from the ISF though, we have a good blend of performance and reliability right now.

997TT would be a good step up in performance but the NSX is so sleek, low, rare. I have mixed feelings about the 2015 NSX and don't have the patience to wait that long... life is too short.

Gallardo and R8 are also on the radar but Im thinking the maintenance on these in relation to how much they are used would be hard to stomach.
Old 05-22-13, 10:47 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^I've been through that whole though process with all those "exotics" and after you either try one or do the math, you'll see how great of a deal the NSX is! A car that appreciates or does not go down in value is somewhat of a rare if not impossible case these days.