IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 07:59 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm glad that you were able to bring the car back to its intended glory!! That looked pretty nelected and abused. After 7 years of wait to buy an ISF, I'm still waiting and will be waiting a while longer I'm sure. Congrats again and enjoy her!!
Old 04-21-13, 10:22 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no pride of ownership until you got her
Old 04-22-13, 06:37 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Great work bringing the F back to shine.

I am going to detail my interior soon.
Any tips or tricks when doing the interior?
What's the best way to get the tiny dirt out of the seat's perforated holes and the dirt between the steering wheel stitching?
Old 04-22-13, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brisman
I can't believe somebody neglected this car so much.

Looking forward to seeing it come back to how it should be.

A bit of work but worth it.

Looks like a car that was picked up at an auction by this used car dealer.
Old 04-22-13, 07:32 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Great work bringing the F back to shine.

I am going to detail my interior soon.
Any tips or tricks when doing the interior?
What's the best way to get the tiny dirt out of the seat's perforated holes and the dirt between the steering wheel stitching?
I actually tried to just agitate it with my brush that you can see me using in the photos but that wasn't enough, so I got crafty and just bent back a small paperclip. It was the perfect diameter and I just used that to pop the fifth through and open the pores.

Not a perfect fix as I would've really liked to pull the dirt out rather than push it through but I tried a lot of things (placing painters tape on it, pushing it down hard and gently pulling back, etc) with no luck.

For the dirt in the steering wheel stitching I just used the AMMO Lather and a brush and microfiber towel... came out pretty easy actually.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Looks like a car that was picked up at an auction by this used car dealer.
Yup, per the autocheck/carfax it was a lease turn in that went to auction and was purchased there by the dealer I bought it from.
Old 04-22-13, 07:29 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Day 2: Test Panel - Is the Paint Saveable?

Wanted to wash and clay the entire car but mother nature wasn't cooperating with heavy rain and 40 degree temps all day so I compromised and washed a test panel with detergent to remove contaminants and any wax on the car.

You might be asking why I would use the hood as my test panel (normally you would try a rear lower bumper or some place you can't see) - but if I couldn't save the hood the paint was going anyway so I had little to lose. Put up or shut up time.

I clay'ed the car with a Zaino claybar (i'll be using a nanoskin pad and DA to do the entire car but for this process it worked just fine.

It was UNGODLY nasty... like it sounded like i was running the clay over a matte surface... paint was noisy unlike anything i've ever heard. Took more than a few passes to get it quiet and smooth. I just used soapy water as lubrication for the clay.

Test panel masked off, sprayed with spray wax just to get a clean surface and remove any left over soapy residue.

The horror - notice the big scratch running parallel to the hood seam and how much diffusion there is around light sources (hence creating the haze i've been talking about).

Microfiber cutting pad + Menzerna FG400 = amazing what any idiot like me can do with a DA and not risk harming their paint (within reason).

First pass > slight less diffusion.

HAZE. That's a lightbulb on the ceiling... you just can't tell.

Lightbulb beginning to be seen. Pass 2.

After 3rd pass I did 1 pass of a Green Polishing pad + Sonax Nano Polish t oremove fine swirls and enhance gloss.

50/50

BEFORE

AFTER

All in all I think the paint is saveable. I was able to bring it back with these steps to 90% within the condition of the clear coat on the OEM paint. I think i'll do 2 extra passes of FG400 and a 2nd Nano when I do the full car to get it even better but the good news is I think a respray can be avoided with the use of the proper products and a whole hell of a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited by daedalus; 04-22-13 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 08:49 PM
Brisman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's definitely worth the effort trying to save the paint, looks like it will pay off.

As I said earlier, a bit of work but worth it.

Looking forward to see it finished. you're doing a great job.
Old 04-22-13, 09:05 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me like you are doing way to many passes. We may have different definitions of a pass.
Old 04-22-13, 09:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Maybe I'm just lazy but a wet sand would have reduced the number of passes pretty substantially IMHO.
Old 04-22-13, 09:39 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Agreed it would save a lot of time, but I don't want to risk damage to the paint with a wetsand or removing to much clearcoat as this is only the 2nd paint correction i've attempted ever and i'm a complete beginner so I think for an amateur like myself this is the safer way to do the correction, albeit one that will take much longer for the panels that have been repainted.
Old 04-23-13, 08:03 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brisman
I can't believe somebody neglected this car so much.

Looking forward to seeing it come back to how it should be.

A bit of work but worth it.

+1, it's pretty amazing how this car was neglected like that. Makes me believe that some folks just have stuff "handed" to them and don't take care of it. (easy come, easy go)

OP, great work, looks really good.

I personally would replace some of those interior pieces. You can find some OEM pieces on eBay.

How is it doing mechanically?

Interested to see how this car comes out.

Cheers!
Old 04-23-13, 08:37 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... talk about neglect an abuse to a car. Don't know how anyone can let their car get that dirty even if it is a DD.

Congrats on the picking up the F and props to the OP for cleaning job. Interior almost looks close to new. Good job.

Like the previous post, I'm also interested to know if there were any mechanical problems with the car considering the condition and appearance of the car when you received it.
Old 04-23-13, 09:17 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, did you purchase it from Luxor's Auto? :P Cause I saw a MRM ISF there going for around 38k or so.
Old 04-23-13, 09:39 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Snow
Nice, did you purchase it from Luxor's Auto? :P Cause I saw a MRM ISF there going for around 38k or so.
Yea I got it from them.

Just got back from the body shop to have them look at the car... the haze is just overspray... everywhere on the car. I took it to them to see if they could re-align the drivers side headlight as it's positioned slightly down compared to the left side... boy oh boy did I find out a lot.

The entire front end was resprayed, and not very well. The guy said he suspected an auto auction had tried to hastly repair it for auction. The driver side fender must've been hit as it is in the wrong position and wasn't repaired properly. The paint really doesn't match either. So first bid is 1800.00 worth of repair and Luxor is trying to dodge coughing up any money to reimburse me. Gotta love post-sale customer service from used car dealers. Had this been disclosed I obviously wouldn't have bought the car.

Looks like the detail project is on hold as one way or another i'm having it all re-done and put together properly. Just a matter of whether or not i'm 2k poorer or not.
Old 04-23-13, 10:04 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
Yea I got it from them.

Just got back from the body shop to have them look at the car... the haze is just overspray... everywhere on the car. I took it to them to see if they could re-align the drivers side headlight as it's positioned slightly down compared to the left side... boy oh boy did I find out a lot.

The entire front end was resprayed, and not very well. The guy said he suspected an auto auction had tried to hastly repair it for auction. The driver side fender must've been hit as it is in the wrong position and wasn't repaired properly. The paint really doesn't match either. So first bid is 1800.00 worth of repair and Luxor is trying to dodge coughing up any money to reimburse me. Gotta love post-sale customer service from used car dealers. Had this been disclosed I obviously wouldn't have bought the car.

Looks like the detail project is on hold as one way or another i'm having it all re-done and put together properly. Just a matter of whether or not i'm 2k poorer or not.
I would have raised hell.......

If they don't help you, take them to small claims court. (leave the surprise element, don't tell them that, just do it)

Quick Reply: Bought It. Now Time to Detail It.