IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 08:22 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWillvock
So ive read a few comparisons/opinions putting the IS-F against the Benz C63. Most seem to lean in favor of the Benz. I own a 07 IS and recently have been considering replacing with either of the above, regardless of cost. I only have two complaints about my car: cabin space is terrible, and tail lights are ugly. I guess Lexus didnt get the memo in the mid-90's that orange is outdated? Please share your opinions.
i didn't read anyone elses post really...only a few, sorry if this is a repeat, but if cabin space is a problem for you now, the IS F is the same as what you have as far as space goes. and if you don't like tail lights...well those are the same too...and if you don't like the amber, even though it's clear, the bulbs are still amber....

i went with the IS F considering when i added up all the points. M3 susposedly drives better, but do you really know which one is driving 40mph on the streets? yeah the AMG has lie 450 what ever HP but i think the 416 in the IS F is plenty...the choice is yours..
Old 01-18-09, 10:38 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK if you have an s4, the logical upgrade would be an RS4 (unless you must have an auto)

I've cross shopped all 4 cars and here's my true findings that I don't think anyone can dispute:

A) M3 is best track car no doubt about it. It's the finesse player, seats 5, has both auto or manual trannies but since I already owed BMW before I want to try something different. Also the m3 coupe looks stunning but I need a 4-door and the sedan is just *blah...

B) RS4 would be my top choice easy with the AWD (great for tahoe) room for 5 with fold down seats and a killer exhaust note. However my g/f can't drive manual so this car is OUT sadly.

C) C63 AMG has the best exhaust/engine tone and it's a brute power monster. Gas mileage is HORRIBLE as I heard a few guys get around 10mpg. Seats 5 and the auto is nice. Styling is love/hate but does announce it's prescence anywhere it goes. Interior cabin materials look cheap in the rear especially.

D) IS-F has the BEST GAS Mileage hands down. Yes I know we are not buying these cars for fuel economy but hey at least it should not be in the LAMBO range! Waste is still waste! Styling is personal taste but I really enjoy the Lexus clean lines, tasteful yet aggressive. The exhaust tips are so so for me but love the interior, best quality IMO. Two things I DO NOT like about the IS-F: Only seats 4 and no fold down rear seats.

I don't own any of the above cars "yet" so you could say I'm impartial.....

Each car has it's merits but if you weigh what I deem is important, the winner is IS-F.

Again I would take the RS4 first choice but I need an automatic this time around

hope this helps
rick
Old 01-19-09, 12:53 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love both cars but the animal in me can NOT get over how the C63 sounds. Stepping on it and listening to the exhaust roar for me is worth all the other shortcomings the C63 has. And I actually somewhat like the interior and exterior of the C63; solid and purposeful. But then again I'm bored by the IS-F interior, since I already own an IS.
Old 01-19-09, 12:13 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my name say's it all eh? Not really...lol....I wanted an ISF so badly until Lexus put a 61k price tag on it. I own a CLK 55 AMG and an IS 350. I've test driven the F and I must admit, I was all smiles IMHO though it's a bit over priced....I'd rather roll with the IS 350 for what the ISF offers and that's a bigger engine...nothing else really separates it from the IS 350. Now as for the C63 comparison to the IS F...oh boy....It hurts me to say this but the AMG engines are very solid and the sound of that engine is music to my ears. I can't say the same for the F. Obviously it's subjective to which is better and any non-biased person whose driven both cars know that the C63 is faster but why wouldn't it be? AMG engines have been around for years! Lexus has come a long way and they're right on the heels of BMW and Mercedes. I'm eagered to see what the LF A could do! Oh yeah...reliability goes to Lexus 10 times over. The administrator summed it up pretty well on the first page.
Old 01-19-09, 01:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF
nothing else really separates it from the IS 350.
i am just not sure about the above statement at all. the is350 handles well, but side by side with the is-f the is350 is nothing even close
Old 01-19-09, 02:17 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
i am just not sure about the above statement at all. the is350 handles well, but side by side with the is-f the is350 is nothing even close
I'll say this and leave it alone. If you put the IS F and the IS 350 side by side and asked the "average" person off the streets who isn't necessarily a "Car Enthusiast" What's the difference between the two? The response you're likely to get is:

"Hmm well this one (350) doesn't have the funny pipes." and....oh those flary thingy's on the side are also missing...lol No pun intended. To say that the IS F and the IS 350 is nothing close in looks is a very far stretch. Sometimes I have a hard time telling them apart! Now comparing how both drive is like night and day
Old 01-19-09, 02:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF
I'll say this and leave it alone. If you put the IS F and the IS 350 side by side and asked the "average" person off the streets who isn't necessarily a "Car Enthusiast" What's the difference between the two? The response you're likely to get is:

"Hmm well this one (350) doesn't have the funny pipes." and....oh those flary thingy's on the side are also missing...lol No pun intended. To say that the IS F and the IS 350 is nothing close in looks is a very far stretch. Sometimes I have a hard time telling them apart! Now comparing how both drive is like night and day
If you're only talking about appearance you could say the same thing about:
M3 vs. 335i, A4 vs. RS4, or C350 vs. C63 AMG.

The comment that you made was, as rominl stated, "I'd rather roll with the IS 350 for what the ISF offers and that's a bigger engine...nothing else really separates it from the IS 350."

Your comment suggests that aside from the V8, nothing really separates the F from the IS350. That is simply untrue. Just with the aforementioned Germans, there are considerable differences between the super sedans and the vehicles that they were developed from.
Old 01-19-09, 08:48 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s4play

B) RS4 would be my top choice easy with the AWD (great for tahoe) room for 5 with fold down seats and a killer exhaust note. However my g/f can't drive manual so this car is OUT sadly.
Don't mean to bash rick, but who the hell buys a car based on what their girlfriend can drive? Either this girl does EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG for you and you're on your way to taking yourself off the market, or she has you by the neck and the *****....

All the points you made were greats, especially the no fold down seats in the IS F....

THANK GOD I'M SINGLE...single life is the best life... not buying an RS4 because a girlfriend can 't drive it...most ridiculous thing i've ever heard in 2009.
Old 01-19-09, 08:58 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF
I guess my name say's it all eh? Not really...lol....I wanted an ISF so badly until Lexus put a 61k price tag on it. I own a CLK 55 AMG and an IS 350. I've test driven the F and I must admit, I was all smiles IMHO though it's a bit over priced....I'd rather roll with the IS 350 for what the ISF offers and that's a bigger engine...nothing else really separates it from the IS 350.
i'm sure the CLK 55 AMG wasn't over priced at all nothing really separates...LMAO
Old 01-19-09, 09:46 PM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Just F Me
i'm sure the CLK 55 AMG wasn't over priced at all nothing really separates...LMAO
All cars are over-priced..lol including my CLK55....I was just a little ticked because I couldn't afford the F when it first came out I'll take an IS F over any German car in regards to reliability. As for power and performance I'll take the AMG.
Old 01-19-09, 10:14 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Don't mean to bash rick, but who the hell buys a car based on what their girlfriend can drive? Either this girl does EVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG for you and you're on your way to taking yourself off the market, or she has you by the neck and the *****....

All the points you made were greats, especially the no fold down seats in the IS F....

THANK GOD I'M SINGLE...single life is the best life... not buying an RS4 because a girlfriend can 't drive it...most ridiculous thing i've ever heard in 2009.
I can tell you must be under 30 still When you get older you will understand that putting others before yourself at some point is a normal thing to do. I was like you before but you will get there someday. Anyone who is married will agree with me....

My girl is a great gal and let's me have all the toys I want but planning for the future is something we all do at some stage since none of us can turn back the time. Anyways I already have plenty of manual tranny cars to play with

rk
Old 01-19-09, 10:25 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

The comment that you made was, as rominl stated, "I'd rather roll with the IS 350 for what the ISF offers and that's a bigger engine...nothing else really separates it from the IS 350."

Your comment suggests that aside from the V8, nothing really separates the F from the IS350. That is simply untrue. Just with the aforementioned Germans, there are considerable differences between the super sedans and the vehicles that they were developed from.
The only different btwn the IS 350 and IS F ...The IS 350 never be able to see the IS F front bumper on the highway.
Old 01-19-09, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

exactly what i was trying to say. if you talk about look, it applies to m3, c63, and rs4 too
Old 01-19-09, 11:57 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Saying the IS-F is just like the IS350 and you would just drive the IS-F is plain silly.....are you trying to kid yourself or us????

That's like me saying I'd rather drive the 330 because it's the same as the m3!

M3, RS4, C63, IS-F is in a totally different class from their lesser siblings......no comparo and no matter how you mod the latter, it will never match those ultimate 4 examples!

Comparing those 4 as I listed above is just personal preference and what the owner likes

rk
Old 01-20-09, 12:24 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if you're talking about looks or exterior styling, I'd argue that the IS-F is more distinguishable from its lesser siblings than the competition. For example, the understated C63 has the front bumper gills and the quad tips, but the AMG wheels come as an option on a regular C-class sedan, and I've seen a lot of C350s sport those. So you have to know your stuff or read the badge to spot the differences.

On the other hand, my car is pretty much stock, and I've had countless people flag me down or stop me to ask about the car (In LA, I might add.) My gut feeling is that this doesn't happen if you're driving an ISX50.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS-F or MB C63 AMG