IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

nav screen resolution

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 09:43 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default nav screen resolution

hi all, i'm in the market for an F, and am torn between a '10 and an '09. i know its been talked about at length and i think i'm ok giving up the LSD in the '09 to save on the price diff.

what i was wondering though is if the hdd based nav is much faster to navigate than dvd based one? (i would assume so, but was wondering what others experience was)

also, is the screen resolution noticeably different and is this diff only visible when using the nav, or clearly evident when using the climate controls and backup cam/etc. (ie, does it appear much more pixelated?)

thanks!
b
Old 05-07-13, 11:52 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy has an '08, and honestly I think the '10 nav upgrade is well worth the money. I would say the resolution is noticeable in the submenu's as well (but that might just be the revised UI buttons). But I would think it's going to be subjective for everyone. Personally I think the navigation is brilliant as well. Was pretty amazing on a 2k mile trip and has been flawless and very quick to calculate.
Old 05-07-13, 12:14 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know where you are in GA, but there is a black F in Marietta that was trashed when I looked at it.
Old 05-07-13, 12:19 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its just the DVD navigation , u can always up grade that on a side note, u can just up grade every parts lolz
Old 05-07-13, 01:26 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I dont know where you are in GA, but there is a black F in Marietta that was trashed when I looked at it.
funny, i actually just got back from driving that like 15 mins ago, it was my first time driving an is-f. (and yeh, it was a little beat up, and def a smoker). plus i'm looking for a white one.

my impressions were.....wowsers, ha. had to get used to all the gears too, that f'er upshifts very fast tho so thats good. definitely would take some getting used to, they let me just take it out by myself, so that was nice.

i could tell the backup camera was def low res, but the regular functions looked good to me. probably should have messed with the gps more now that i think about it, maybe next test drive.

i'm coming from an '04 s4, and i have to say though i was a little dissapointed with the steering....it turned in awesome, and had a heavy feel that i like, but it seemed to always want to get pop back to center position too fast when i let go of the wheel....almost what i would describe as a little floppy?

anyways, it did have a low tire warning as well, and the alignment felt a bit off, so maybe it was the car.

i know my current car is no comparison, but with the audi, it seems that when i turn the wheel a certain direction, the car seems to kind of 'hold' or stick in that direction even when letting go of the wheel, and not really move until i steer it back, if that makes any sense. maybe thats the awd that makes it feel like that, not sure.

i didn't feel the ride was really very harsh either for an '09, and i took it over some rocky roads on purpose. i did notice the jumpy, grabbiness of the electronic lsd when taking a hard U, but still better than anything i'm used to anyway! hard to get a perfect feel for this car the first time out me thinks. still want to get one, but just need to drive a few more to see what year is ideal for me.

i'm gonna drive an '11 this weekend and see whats up.

Last edited by scamsel; 05-07-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 08:29 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

I live in Duluth, I would be more than happy to meet up and let you drive my F and check it out in detail on one that isnt messed up. I could list a number of things wrong with that black one. For started the coolant was suuuuuuper low in the tank, way below low and they had the rear wheels on the front and the fronts on the back -__-. There is a white '11 for sale over here in Duluth I looked at, but I picked up a 2008 a few months back in Feb with 4,800 miles. I just went for the super low miles over the new headlights and LSD. Ill message you my cell # if you have any questions or want to meet up and check mine out.
Old 05-08-13, 08:26 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Originally Posted by CUTigers
I live in Duluth, I would be more than happy to meet up and let you drive my F and check it out in detail on one that isnt messed up. I could list a number of things wrong with that black one. For started the coolant was suuuuuuper low in the tank, way below low and they had the rear wheels on the front and the fronts on the back -__-. There is a white '11 for sale over here in Duluth I looked at, but I picked up a 2008 a few months back in Feb with 4,800 miles. I just went for the super low miles over the new headlights and LSD. Ill message you my cell # if you have any questions or want to meet up and check mine out.
thanks cu, thats very generous of you. thats crazy, i think they changed the tires since last time, i noticed the 255's were def on the back. shame on the coolant too! can't believe you found an '08 with only 4800 miles on it, wth!

i'm actually gonna check out the one in duluth this afternoon, even though know its out of my price range. but hopefully it will be in better shape. plus since its an '11, i'll at least get to feel some of the differences...my plan is ot get an '08 and then move to a '10 or '11 in a year or 2. with the pricing i've seen and the way these cars depreciate you don't really lose very much by doing it this way.
Old 05-08-13, 10:58 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scamsel
thanks cu, thats very generous of you. thats crazy, i think they changed the tires since last time, i noticed the 255's were def on the back. shame on the coolant too! can't believe you found an '08 with only 4800 miles on it, wth!

i'm actually gonna check out the one in duluth this afternoon, even though know its out of my price range. but hopefully it will be in better shape. plus since its an '11, i'll at least get to feel some of the differences...my plan is ot get an '08 and then move to a '10 or '11 in a year or 2. with the pricing i've seen and the way these cars depreciate you don't really lose very much by doing it this way.
kk, just hit me up!