IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Not so happy with my F.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-13, 10:14 AM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not so happy with my F.

So Ive had the car for a month now. Already changed the water pump under warranty. Now yesterday about to head home, turn on the car and all I hear from the engine is clank clank cling cling coming from the front of the engine. Basically sounded like the timing chain was hitting something. So I'm driving and called my guy at the dealer... While talking to him I hear the sound getting louder and almost like something coming loose inside there. I pull over at the gas station and it goes cling... Clang... And then nothing. As if whatever the chain was hitting broke off. And the sound is now gone. I have a video. I'll post it shortly. It's at the dealer now for the tech to look at it Monday 'to see if they can hear the sound'. I know they won't because it stopped. I don't know what to do. Sigh. It's an 08 with 31k.

Added vid.

Last edited by Jamakan; 05-11-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-11-13, 10:36 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's really odd. At least you're still under warranty?

I don't think this is a common issue - but do update us with what they find out. I'm interested! sounds like a bearing going bad somewhere. For a 5 year old car, it's not out of the norm I suppose.

maybe they messed up the water pump job?
Old 05-11-13, 10:39 AM
Jamakan
Rookie

Originally Posted by 9aristo
that's really odd. At least you're still under warranty?

I don't think this is a common issue - but do update us with what they find out. I'm interested! sounds like a bearing going bad somewhere. For a 5 year old car, it's not out of the norm I suppose.

maybe they messed up the water pump job?
But why would the sound stop. It definitely didn't sound normal. My fear is that to find out what happened they will need to go in and if they don't hear anything out of the norm. They won't bother.
Old 05-11-13, 10:48 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

To be honest that sounds like it could be an issue with the water pump. Have you checked the coolant level recently? It almost sounds like the bearings in the water pump are no good
Old 05-11-13, 10:55 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

well at least you have a video to show them.

anytime troubleshooting occurs, it's best to witness or at least see the issue. i don't think they need to duplicate the issue to go in.

bearings are funny. sound can be intermittent.

we'll see what happens on Monday. If they decide not to do anything, and you have a breakdown that's related to the issue they dismissed, they'd be liable for the whole thing. just make sure they give you something as proof that you brought it in for that concern.
Old 05-11-13, 10:56 AM
9aristo
Pole Position

i just remembered - maybe it's the radiator fan? a couple of guys here had issues with a screw going loose and rubbing the core support.
Old 05-11-13, 11:27 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, been seeing problems pop up. Making me worried about mine!
Old 05-11-13, 11:43 AM
Jamakan
Rookie

Originally Posted by 9aristo
i just remembered - maybe it's the radiator fan? a couple of guys here had issues with a screw going loose and rubbing the core support.
But I just turned the car on. Does the fan always run? I don't remember the fan running. One thing I do remember is the sound didn't get faster with increasing revs or driving. So it was constant. What in the engine spins at a constant speed?
Old 05-11-13, 12:36 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

washer or bearing on the pulleys?
Old 05-11-13, 03:05 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does not sound good man. Idk if it would be the radiator fan. keep us posted.
Old 05-11-13, 05:55 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
washer or bearing on the pulleys?
This!

Ten characters
Old 05-11-13, 07:05 PM
Jamakan
Rookie

Originally Posted by kauaian
This!

Ten characters
I just hope it's external. What washer are u referring to?
Old 05-11-13, 09:33 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jamakan
So Ive had the car for a month now. Already changed the water pump under warranty. Now yesterday about to head home, turn on the car and all I hear from the engine is clank clank cling cling coming from the front of the engine. Basically sounded like the timing chain was hitting something. So I'm driving and called my guy at the dealer... While talking to him I hear the sound getting louder and almost like something coming loose inside there. I pull over at the gas station and it goes cling... Clang... And then nothing. As if whatever the chain was hitting broke off. And the sound is now gone. I have a video. I'll post it shortly. It's at the dealer now for the tech to look at it Monday 'to see if they can hear the sound'. I know they won't because it stopped. I don't know what to do. Sigh. It's an 08 with 31k.

Added vid. http://youtu.be/oNshMy8KWZI
As a tech, this sounds to me like someone dropped a bolt or nut, and it landed behind one of the pulleys on the engine, and was rubbing on the pulley as it was spinning. This would make since as the sound stopped because the bolt/nut got kicked loose as it was worse down by the pulley.
Old 05-11-13, 09:41 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Eh...it's not that bad...08 with 31k...so you got a small issue. Water pump deal we've all gone through, or at least a lot of the early models did.

What to know problems to not be happy with? Perhaps you would like to trade your car in for a BMW M? Audi S/RS? Mercedes AMG?

<<<---2008 IS F with 102,000 miles.
Old 05-11-13, 10:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Just because it's a Lexus doesn't mean it's perfect. It is a car after all. Not every BMW is bad and not every Honda is good

I'm sure you'll find the source of the problem and get it fixed. Then you can enjoy your beast

Quick Reply: Not so happy with my F.