IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire problem, dealer responsibility ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 12:18 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tire problem, dealer responsibility ?

Hello guys I would just like to ask a few Questions that I can't seem to figure out my self .
Today parkedl my 2012 isf in the drive way and noticed wire coming out off rear right tire inner.
The tire is shot needs replacing...
I took it to Service 2500 miles ago and was there for a speaker issue that was few weeks ago.
My Question is the dealership supposed to check brake/tires/air checked tire pressure they where all off and are they Held accoutible ?
I'm just disappointed have really decent roads where I drive mostly hwy to work.
No pot holes that I hit .

I personally feel they should have checked and gave me a warning. like if I did not spot the tire and kept driving I would have totaled the F .

I just a bit disappointed should I go to the dealer, should I just go to Costco and buy new tires and forget about it ??
Old 05-30-13, 02:39 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They may have checked it 2500 miles ago and it could have been fine then. Which exactly what they will tell you. However, the responsibility is yours. Get new tires and press on is my opinion.
Old 05-30-13, 02:59 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Well I guess that's exactly what they would say just to prevent it out of pocket for them.
Old 05-30-13, 04:18 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the tire is defective, not just wearing out, you can probably get a new tire from the tire company. It's not a Lexus issue.
Old 05-30-13, 05:03 AM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
If the tire is defective, not just wearing out, you can probably get a new tire from the tire company. It's not a Lexus issue.
Well I think for sure Alignment was off some how in the rear and wire is showing on the inside the rest of the tires are fine maybe have 10k left but. Know have to replace both rears early...

My guess I don't know what they do when I bring my car in what they check ect ... Just my thought

I'm just saying that could have been somewhat prevented by the tech checking tire thread and air could have notified me ? They did not even check the air pressure each wheel !!
I don't burn out or track the car so I was not really expecting it my tires all looked good except Cousin spotted it and I can't believe it was that bad.
Few moments ago i was on the road doing 75-80mph hwy if that tire would have shredded don't think there would not be a lexus left maybe scraps ...
Old 05-30-13, 05:43 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toky916
Well I think for sure Alignment was off some how in the rear and wire is showing on the inside the rest of the tires are fine maybe have 10k left but. Know have to replace both rears early...

My guess I don't know what they do when I bring my car in what they check ect ... Just my thought

I'm just saying that could have been somewhat prevented by the tech checking tire thread and air could have notified me ? They did not even check the air pressure each wheel !!
I don't burn out or track the car so I was not really expecting it my tires all looked good except Cousin spotted it and I can't believe it was that bad.
Few moments ago i was on the road doing 75-80mph hwy if that tire would have shredded don't think there would not be a lexus left maybe scraps ...
your tire sensors would have let you know if there was a pressure problem. I once destroyed a new Dunlop tire by driving into a curb. Dunlop replaced it.
Old 05-30-13, 06:40 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

I would put money on it the tech most likely checked the thread depth at the outter portion of the tire, if they checked it. t's the easiest and most convenient place for checking thread depth. I would also get an alignment done.
Old 05-30-13, 07:23 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO

As a tire issue, "YOU" should be inspecting your tires for issues like this at least weekly, as well as the pressure. To have a cord poking through the tire, this did not just happen all of a sudden. You should have noticed this wear pattern earlier yourself. It does not take a depth gauge to see inside tire wear and only take a few seconds to inspect all 4 tires.

The question is should Lexus service have noticed this wear pattern and attributed it to the alignment? Yes but highly unlikely, as the vehicle is set up for this sort of wear. You fail to also mention your mileage, so its all speculation if you have 30 K miles on this set of tires. Do you have something in writing on the service they provide? Saying they inspect or check the tires, with say an oil change service?

If you can get Lexus to accept the liability.....You should have a tire warranty - that at the very least that is pro-rata (measure the tread wear and charge based on a calculation).

I seriously doubt they will cover this 100%, as you have some onus of responsibility as well. It never hurts to ask, but just like knowing where the oil level is, it is best check these things at least weekly to avoid complications.

Digger08
Old 05-30-13, 07:33 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

What Digger said and how do you not notice crazy tire wear down to the cords? Even if you didn't look at the tires, it would drive funny and hydroplane, especially if you knocked it out of alignment. Just in case this isn't what we are all assuming, take a pic and tell us the mileage on the tires.
Old 05-30-13, 11:14 AM
toky916
Pole Position

I have 12500 miles not 30k . Well I the car drove fine did not notice anything
I know that I should be checking ect... I do check oil, tire &pressure just really never payed attention to the inner tire at the rear ..
The question was if the dealership where supposed to check or notice ....

Carbon - drove Normal hwy would go straight felt no deference whatsoever .

What would knock aliment out of place I only drive hwy ?

Last edited by toky916; 05-30-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 11:52 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Take some pictures, it sounds odd for sure. There is a chance the alignment was off from the factory, delivery, or dealer, but it really isn't making any sense until we see pictures.

My factory PS2 tires wore evenly with more outside wear from track days and fun driving.
Old 05-30-13, 12:10 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Don't hold someone else accountable from 2,500 miles ago, for something you can easily check daily.
Old 05-30-13, 02:23 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Don't hold someone else accountable from 2,500 miles ago, for something you can easily check daily.
! they where Potenza re050a will take pics Tommrow since work late today.

Really 2,500 was oil change. Then took it to get brakes checked 500 miles ago the car must have been on a lift ? Or they completely ignored it.
So I whent to a different lexus dealer on the way to work and the rep him self said that they should have told me by a rep or someone at the casher since the car was on the lift.
I ordered PSS today 245/35 275/30 combo anyways going Tommrow and then right to lexus to get alignment done since its under warranty. 1year or 20k for alignment

I don't want free tires or anything just seems like they could have done a better job at inspecting and notifying me about an issue . I know I'm reponsible for checking also on my part I've had a lot of thing going on at the moment and it was kinda not even on my mind that's all .
Old 05-30-13, 05:16 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

the re050a's suck. have had them on multiple cars, never last long.
Old 05-30-13, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
the re050a's suck. have had them on multiple cars, never last long.
I had 30k miles on my rear RE050As with two track weekends on them before they were retired. I wouldn't say they suck on the F at all. There is an IS-F specific model and they last just fine.

That said, its pretty easy to not notice corded tires while driving. I corded my fronts at a track weekend in South Carolina, drove home to Atlanta through rain storms, and didn't realize I had a problem until I took the wheels off to put my street pads back in the calipers a few days later. Pics of those tires are in the Reconsidering the Factory Alignment thread.

You should not have corded your rear tires in just 12.5k miles. The alignment is off - the toe on that corner is set wrong. Unfortunately, if you're not really looking for unusual wear (as is typical on a low mileage car), you're not going to notice inside edge wear until you get to cords.

Good luck with getting help paying for it, IMHO, someone servicing your car should have noticed this.

Quick Reply: Tire problem, dealer responsibility ?