IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Just installed Hankooks Ventus v12

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 04:50 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

still interested to try these out

needa get two front tires first, but seems like the v12 is a hit or miss.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...evo-v12-2.html
Old 06-23-13, 06:02 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sello
I paid 700 for all 4 but I guess ill just deal with them till next year
WTF...Sell them now! Performance car needs performance tires...Why put yourself through the misery for the next 6+ months?

Originally Posted by RCM83
This

Had these on my car since I bought it (11,000 miles ago) I assume the PS2's are just as good but these are the only two tires I would stick with on the F. One of the items you don't want to cheap out on.
Originally Posted by Biggu
this, I daily on my Re-11 and could not be happier!!!
Michelin makes fantastic tires obviously, but from what I've HEARD, they wear out very quickly (as fast as 15-20k on a IS F), also they use a harder compound that tends to start cracking, which then you should replace even if you have thread left. (ISFpat can you comment on this since I know you know your tires)

I get about 40k out of my Bridgestone RE11 in the front, and about 30-35k out of the rears. Sure, it's roughly $1200-$1300 for a set, but like many have said, you get what you pay for.
Old 06-23-13, 07:51 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never realized there was a segment beyond "max performance summer" called "extreme performance summer"

These RE11s seem to be part of that highest tier "extreme performance summer," while pilot super sports/PS2s are part of the 2nd tier according to tirerack.

The Hankooks are also part of the 2nd tier, although I don't know how they measure these things.
Old 06-23-13, 09:03 PM
dstah
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have hankook v12s on the car right now ( bought the car like that ) and they perform pretty well. when these wear out i have a set of FEDERAL RSR waiting to be put on.
Old 06-23-13, 11:02 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dmvp29
I never realized there was a segment beyond "max performance summer" called "extreme performance summer"

These RE11s seem to be part of that highest tier "extreme performance summer," while pilot super sports/PS2s are part of the 2nd tier according to tirerack.

The Hankooks are also part of the 2nd tier, although I don't know how they measure these things.
Don't be fooled...Pilot Sports is probably THE TIRE for street performance. Some prefer Bridgestone RE11, some prefer Michelin Pilot Sports. Sure, you can get other tires like Toyo Proxes R888 which are DOT approved, but lets keep those "types" of tires out of the mix.

Picking between Bridgestone is like thinking if you want a red apple or a green apple.
Old 06-23-13, 11:23 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Don't be fooled...Pilot Sports is probably THE TIRE for street performance. Some prefer Bridgestone RE11, some prefer Michelin Pilot Sports. Sure, you can get other tires like Toyo Proxes R888 which are DOT approved, but lets keep those "types" of tires out of the mix.

Picking between Bridgestone is like thinking if you want a red apple or a green apple.
So what made you go with the Bridgestone RE11s over the michelin pilot sports?
Old 06-24-13, 01:03 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dmvp29
So what made you go with the Bridgestone RE11s over the michelin pilot sports?
My IS F came with the Bridgestone RE050A (not the best tire, but it's damn expensive), and for a treadwear rating of 140, it lasted me almost 30k miles in the front, and 40k in the rear. The reason why the fronts went out first is because my toe was off really bad, and I didn't bother to check, and it wore down to the metal so I had to replace the fronts first.

With that said, I wanted a more high performance tire, and the RE11 was the top of the line tire Bridgestone had to offer. It had a treadwear rating of 180, which technically meant that it could last slightly longer than RE050As that my car originally came with (as long as my alignment was consistent).

I got a lifetime alignment package from a tire shop for $160, and I bring my car in every 6000 miles to have the guys do it and as long as nothing crazy happens, I wear my tires down till they hit the wear indicators.

Since I drive a lot, or at least used to, tire life was important, but also performance. I understood the wear characteristics of a Bridgestone tire because I used the RE050As completely, so I decided to buy again, but just a higher end tire.

Michelin tires...I've NEVER owned except for OEM crap that came on my previous Honda and Acura. Never ran the OEM tires long enough to learn the treadwear characteristics because I changed the OEM wheels out for aftermarket wheels and at that time used brands that I'll never use again...IE..Toyo T1R, Nitto NT555, Falken FK451/FK452.

When I say treadwear characteristics, it means that I have an idea how long it's going to last. You can't compare UTQG ratings across brands, however, you can compare them WITHIN the same brand as their testing methods are probably uniform.

IE, a Michelin tire that has a UTQG rating of 400 does not mean it's going to last twice as long as a Bridgestone tire with a UTQG rating of 200. However, a Bridgestone tire with a UTQG rating of 400 will probably get double the miles of a Bridgestone tire with a UTQG rating of 200. Of course all this depends on driving conditions.

That was the long answer...the short answer is that Bridgestone tires were used in Formula 1, the ultimate form of motorsport in the world, and therefore, if they make tires for Formula 1, surely they know what they're doing when it comes to Extreme Performance Summer for my IS F (it never rains in SoCal, we can run Extreme Performance Summer tires all year long)

BTW, for what it's worth, I'm on my 3rd set of rear RE11s and I'm on my 2nd set of front RE11s. If I were to buy a new tire that wasn't Bridgestone, I'd buy Michelin. I will NEVER buy any other tire other than tires from these two manufactures. Like most people, I like to save money when I can, however, in the case where my life depends on it...give me the most expensive thing you got. Tires are the LAST thing you want to be cheap with to save money.

My next set of tires will be Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Last edited by Just F Me; 06-24-13 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 06:15 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

I have had the Hankooks for almost 30k miles now and they are about to need replacing. I have had good experience with them personally. Maybe I don't push the car hard enough or something. I also do mostly highway miles as well.
Old 06-24-13, 06:24 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

My tires are cooked at about 14K miles - so that should indicate my driving style.

Initially the tires had too much rollover/play, but I found that can EASILY be resolved with proper tire pressure. The grip on these tires is great in FL (heat); they do NOT do well in cooler temperatures.

Either way, I am completely happy with them and I am otherwise in love with Michelin PS2's.. but if you get the hankooks, inflate them properly, you'll be happy (255/30/20, 295/25/20).
Old 06-24-13, 06:57 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Yes the V12s need a higher tire pressure than the stock tires. If you fill them to the sock pressure you will wear them out quickly. I run mine at 40psi in the front and 39psi in the rear.

Probably need new ones in the next 2 months and with the current prices they should run me less than 800 for the tires I need for my 20s.
Old 06-24-13, 10:28 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They have gotten a little better with 41psi in them, a Hankrook rep got back to me asking my tire sizes and psi, he think I'm running the wrong psi, now I'm waiting to hear back what psi they recommend
Old 06-24-13, 10:45 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new response is. The Hankook had the same load as the oem so they should be fine, I guess handling like a minivan is fine, thanks
Old 06-24-13, 11:06 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sello
i guess handling like a minivan is fine, thanks
^^^^^^^^lol
Old 06-24-13, 01:47 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Mine handle much better with the higher psi as well.
Old 06-25-13, 06:30 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Have them on my rig scary in water. I got 275/30/19's out back and the spin like crazy on water. It feels like on ice.

Now there better in water then my 275/35/18's KDW Drag radials were in rain but not much. lol

Quick Reply: Just installed Hankooks Ventus v12