IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking to buy an IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 09:24 AM
pc69
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy an IS-F

I currently have a fully mod BMW 335i and looking into trading it for an IS-F demo. What is the long term reliability of IS-F? What are some of the common issues? Should I get an extended warranty? BTW is IS-F tunable? Thanks
Old 07-12-13, 09:38 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pc69
I currently have a fully mod BMW 335i and looking into trading it for an IS-F demo. What is the long term reliability of IS-F? What are some of the common issues? Should I get an extended warranty? BTW is IS-F tunable? Thanks
To answer your questions: 1. With regular oil changes and normal replacement of wear and tear items, the F will last for a very long time. In other words, the F is very reliable. 2. Earlier models have a less-than-desired suspension system, but can easily be remedied with a good set of coil overs. There's a rare chance the transmission may develop issues but note: rare. Search the forum for more on this topic. 3.yes! Even though the F is rock solid you'll never know what will happen. Get an extended warranty for peace of mind. 4. Not tunable and probably won't be for some time. Search the forum for more info.
Old 07-12-13, 09:51 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The IS F has been in the market since 2008. There are very few problems about this car. In a rare instance, there was a transmission rebuild needed, a water pump issue (primarily 2008 model), the Toyota/Lexus recall for the floor pedal (most members ignored), and a rearview mirror vibration issue (some members have had it replaced). Overall, to get a powerful vehicle from the factory with proven reliability, the IS F is a great car to have. It's a no nonsense car that gives you the thrill you want when you're on the roads.

Unfortunately it isn't tunable. There are a few aftermarket mods to increase power (intakes/exhausts/headers), some suspension products, and some aero and aesthetic exterior parts available. I like that the F isn't tunable. It allows me to appreciate the power of this engine and the engineering behind the first of Lexus' F performance lineup.
Old 07-12-13, 10:11 AM
pc69
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. The one I'm look at is 2011 with less 900 miles. What is the difference between 2011 and 2013? I don't think I'm going to mod it like 335i just keep it as stock.
Old 07-12-13, 10:27 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Minor changes I believe. A revised suspension, wheels are 1/2 inch wider front and rear, exterior colors changed (Ultra White replaces Starfire Pearl, Nebula Gray Pearl replaces Smoky Granite Mica, and Liquid Platinum replaces Mercury Metallic). 2011 with 900 miles is pretty good. Definitely make sure everything is proper before signing for it,. And it should still be under warranty. There's a good source for extended warranty on the forums.

Best of luck!
Old 07-12-13, 10:28 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use the search button
Old 07-12-13, 10:45 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Different shocks and wider wheels (but not tires) on the 2013's.

If you're looking at similar straight line performance as a modded 335i, you might be disappointed. The advantage of the ISF is overall longterm reliability, maintenance costs, and can be tracked all day without worries of engine/trans overheating.

Thanks for all the replies. The one I'm look at is 2011 with less 900 miles. What is the difference between 2011 and 2013? I don't think I'm going to mod it like 335i just keep it as stock.
Old 07-12-13, 11:17 AM
CCLSVTF
Driver

I traded in my 08 E90 M3 for the F. A totally different car. I know you have a 335 but I can only speak from my experience as I only owned an M not a 335.. The F does not handle as well as the M but definitely feels like it pulls harder. The M didn't throw you back in the seat until you passed 5k rpm or so. From the start, the F pulls hard. I know it has to do with the TQ. MPG is way better then the M, in the M I was getting 18 MPG, the F around 22-23 MPG. The F is a more comfortable DD. My M was stick, so having auto again is awesome. I hate it that the rear seats don't fold down in the F like The M does. Cant mod the F much like a BMW. Exh, CAI, and headers is about it for the F. I think the F is more reliable. Haven't had one problem with the F while my M went back prob 5 times for "Increased Emissions." Stereo in the F with the Mark L system is way better then the M. I like the touch screen nav/radio better then the Idrive in the BMW. All and all, I'm happy with the F. Its just as fast, fun, great MPG for that type of car, auto is nice and rev matches when downshifitng like the DCT M, but miss I still really miss the M. So really think about it. 335 is a great car and with a few mods can be as fast or faster then an M. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went that route. Get a 335 and mod the hell out of it. Or spend the extra money on a DCT M.... The whole reason I had to get rid of the M was because the wife bought me a new SVT Raptor, and she took the M3 as the DD. She hated the stick so had to get rid of it. Oh, lastly, one thing to think about. Lexus does not have a maint plan. I miss that on BMW, and I had the extended maint plan too..... So oil changes in the Lexus cost me $120 at jiffy lube or $150 at the dealership every 6 months or so. I can't do it myself cause I don't have a lift in my garage...... I just did the brakes myself a few months ago but that still cost me $300 in pads and I did it myself. BMW cost free maint is awesome.....

Last edited by CCLSVTF; 07-12-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-12-13, 11:28 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

I traded my Dinan 335i in for my F. Miss BMW but it had a crazy list of problems. Havent had a single thing with my F besides the generic IS wiper arm recall and trunk release. Other than those 2 things, my car has only had to go to the dealer to get another key.

I love the F and its a great car and with bolt ons it can make 400whp, which is what all the modded 335s on factory turbos make usually anyways, except you get it with the awesome V8 NA!

You wont be disappointed with the F unless you are looking for big power.
Old 07-12-13, 12:02 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Like CUTigers, I had a modded 335i in the past (though I actually had a turbo'd S2K and a TSX in between the 335i and the ISF). My 335i was putting down 320whp and I ran a 12.89 quartermile with it. Obviously people are out there running faster times than that, but it was quick. My boosted S2K was putting down 290whp but I never ran the quartermile with it.

Both of those cars were what I'd call quick... not fast exactly, but enough performance to get you in trouble. My ISF definitely feels faster than both of them. The low-end torque you get with an NA V8 is addictive. And while my S2K and 335i would run out of power up top, the ISF pulls hard well into the triple digits. In fact, I haven't had the space or the ***** to find out where this thing tops out, but I imagine it'll pull hard right past 150mph and up to the limiter.

On top of all of that, Lexus absolutely crushes a modded BMW or aftermarket boosted S2000 in reliability, luxury, exclusivity, and presence. A 2011 with 900mi is practically a brand new car. As long as you do the regular maintenance on it, it'll last you as long as you want to keep it.
Old 07-12-13, 12:56 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a 335i owner in the market for an IS-F. I comtemplated on getting Cobb AP or JB4 but I just decided to get something fast right out of the box.

Any of you guys have regrets stepping away from BMW? I have Logic 7 in mine and love the system. I hope the ML is just as good if not better.
Old 07-12-13, 01:24 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

If you're driving a BMW then I'm not sure you have the right to ask about another car manufacturers reliability. ;-)

But seriously, I'm at 70k miles and the only real problem I've had is a jammed cd changer. And the car feels better at 70k than any other brand new car I've ever owned.

Like other said, you can't tune the car, and the only bolt-ons that make power are headers and exhaust. So you are basically capped at 400whp (depending on where you live).
Old 07-12-13, 02:06 PM
pc69
Driver School Candidate

Fully mod 335i has quite alot of torque @ low rpm and it's a fun car to drive around town. The only problem is the BMW well known reliability. I spent over 2k in the last 12 months in repair alone + other regular mantainence cost. So I think it's time to get something more reliable like an ISF.
Old 07-12-13, 06:12 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Fully mod 335i has quite alot of torque @ low rpm and it's a fun car to drive around town. The only problem is the BMW well known reliability. I spent over 2k in the last 12 months in repair alone + other regular mantainence cost. So I think it's time to get something more reliable like an ISF.
Doesnt surprise me. My 6 year CPO was about to run out when I traded mine in for the F. I got my 2.5 years of fun out of it. My list of problems that were fixed under warranty was insane, bmw people would pull my VIN up and say "wow".

@Comet- I have zero regrets moving from my modded 335 to my F, which is still stock power wise. Im sure I would regret it in the negatives once I get some exhaust and/or headers
Old 07-12-13, 07:25 PM
ISFNYC
Driver

the 335 is infamously known for the numerous twin turbo problems it has...i remember wanting to buy that car and honestly like most of the guys here i agree the F is very reliable and Lexus makes the most reliable cars in my opinion having owned quite a few... Besides there are countless reasons to get an F over a 335

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an IS-F