IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Surprising the Wife with an IS-F...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 01:34 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Husband with an ES350 - Wife with an ISF. Seems sorta backward to me

Lou
Originally Posted by blitz_714
lolz yeah, he wants to be like Mr Lou now , now go with 2012 F
LOL, I've got a 100-mile commute each day, so I like my cushey ES ride. I can't say I don't want to take the IS-F out and see how the "Off" button works on the traction control

The 2012 is pulling up beside the 2011 CPO!
Old 07-18-13, 01:40 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with the 2012 as they had some upgrades from the 2011 mainly the wheels and some suspension components been tweak. That is a fair/good deal for 2012. Take the 2012!
Old 07-18-13, 01:40 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SatComm302
We've got a new horse in the race:

Non-CPO 2012, SFP with black / white interior, 29,XXX miles, asking 49,900 (non-Lexus dealer), 150 miles away. This is the absolute best exterior and interior color combo's I could ask for. But, it seems like a lot of miles for a 2012.

What do y'all think of the price?

I've all but ruled out Red. She's a no-show and I need to make a decision today.

Thanks!
I love this one. I would love to update my 08 SFP with the Alpine white interior. It was probably used more on the highway so I don't see a problem with mileage on this one. Powertrain is still protected until 70k miles. You can then extend it for a reasonable price too.
Old 07-18-13, 01:42 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

higher mileage on such a recent year indicates highway mileage. That's the best type of mileage possible and i bet that engine is much healthier than cars that are only driven in the city.
Old 07-18-13, 01:43 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Husband with an ES350 - Wife with an ISF. Seems sorta backward to me

Lou
He is just pretending its hers. He will take over once he gets addicted to the power and capabilties of the F. And she will be stuck with his ES ( not bad)
Old 07-18-13, 02:08 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Definitely go with the 2012. You are a long time Lexus owner... you know that even though 29K miles seems like a lot for a 2012 model, it's not a lot for a Lexus, and it was almost certainly owned by someone who had a long highway commute, which is actually the easiest type of wear for a used car. I'd trust that person probably did regular maintenance and service too, because when you have a long commute you want to make sure the car is always running in tip top shape, lest you get stranded somewhere.

Plus, I think SFP with black/white interior is super rare and very, very sexy.

I would not worry about the non-CPO aspect of it at all. Pull the trigger and make your wife a happy woman!
Old 07-18-13, 02:36 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

def go w/ the 2012. one caveat, though, the white interior is susceptible to wearing out quicker. check the driver's side, the butt area, as well as the lumbar area. mine's starting show wear, as in the white is rubbing off/fading. i don't even really wear rough jeans or the like often or if ever. all the other seats look and feel good as new.
Old 07-18-13, 02:53 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great gift, I am sure both of you will be satisfied with the purchase!

I have on 08 that is about to hit 64,000 miles and the car has given me zero issues. I am not the original owner and have only owned the car for almost a year. I have managed to put 10,000+ miles on in a short period of time and it has not skipped a beat. The ISF is an overall solid built car so don't let the miles scare you. With that being said I would go with the 2012. The updated wheels are the best looking out of all years and suspension your wife will probably favor.

Enjoy as I am sure she will love it!
Old 07-18-13, 03:45 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If purchase for you then buy it, but purchase for a wife you much think back clearly LOL i didn't said that women cannot drive but you never know what will happen to that expensive car you just bought for her and beside i do agree with some other members above has said bought the color that she like not other people like because that will be her car not anyone else car so good luck
Old 07-18-13, 05:03 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

I have 28k miles on my 2012, and they have all been highway miles. The car hasn't skipped a single beat. You should be fine with the higher miles on the '12. I'd just check the inner tread on the front tires and the tread on the rear tires to see if you can negotiate a new set if they're worn. I had 2/32 left on my front tires and replaced them at the 27.5k mile mark. Just about due for a new set of rears.
Old 07-18-13, 05:20 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

When I got my used IS-F I skipped a CPO option since it was several grand more expensive. I instead got a 3rd party full coverage warranty for about $2k which will cover me past 100k miles for basically everything and I got the color i wanted. So don't let CPO be the deciding factor.

My wife and I are expecting our first child soon and we got a killer deal on a silver suv. To this day I keep hearing about how she prefers the white. Even tho we saved liked $7k because her father works at a dealer. So if this is a gift for your wife, get the color she wants!!!

These cars are super low maintenance so higher mileage shouldn't be a big factor. At 70k miles now, my car still feels better than any brand new car I've ever owned!
Old 07-18-13, 05:26 PM
Frank1298
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with 2012 is well I just picked 1 up a month ago non CPO but its a Lexus no big deal. My plan is to pick up a 3rd party warranty when mine is up. I have a while till that happens so im not worried about it..
Old 07-18-13, 07:08 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

What's time frame as far as you buying the F??? if you do have time, ask her what she thinks of the blk/orange interior color. Don't ask her directly but just work around it. Either way, i think she would love it. I'm sure you can still lower the price for the CPO. I think you would end up swapping out the cars in due time. you having the F and wifey getting the ES. hehehe. post some pix when you get it. good luck.
Old 07-18-13, 07:26 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the red one... it's the best color as everyone here will agree...

Old 07-18-13, 07:42 PM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what an afternoon and evening. Thanks everyone for all your valuable insight. You've been a great help. It's been quite a ride (pun intended), and it's still not quite over...yet.

Updates:

2011 SFP CPO with black / orange interior, asking 48,900; they've dropped their price to 46,800, 46 even without the CPO. If I go this route, then the CPO will stay at this mileage. They did just install new front tires.

2012, SFP Non-CPO with black / white interior, 29,XXX miles, asking 49,900 (non-Lexus dealer), 150 miles away: They're holding firm on their price and they just sent the paperwork over, so we're looking at it, now. This was the clear leader, until my liaison found this one:

2012, SFP Non-CPO with black interior, 12,800 miles, asking 53,900 (non-Lexus dealer), 400 miles away: We have a new leader in the clubhouse! Just got through talking to them and got them down to 51 even. So, I gave them a refundable deposit to hold it until we can do some more investigation on it and get them to send us some pics. If everything checks out, I'm going to go with this one. I can't pass up this price and the low mileage in the right color.

I'll keep you updated.

Now, I just have to get it here by Saturday

Quick Reply: Surprising the Wife with an IS-F...Help!