Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 08:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
BHP is crank/motor HP i thought?
Maybe your correct, but BHP stands for Brake Horse Power, from wikipedia:

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower before the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired rotational speed. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower. Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the "indicator" (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft.
More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. Although the output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft, a chassis dynamometer gives an indication of an engine's "real world" horsepower after losses in the drive train and gearbox. This gives a reasonably accurate indication of how a wheeled vehicle engine will perform once on the road.

Maybe I'm confused and used the wrong term

Lou
Old 07-28-13, 08:59 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Polkman
Well I finally got a chance to dyno my isf, was hoping for a higher number but oh well.
Time to sell the F and buy a new car.
Old 07-29-13, 06:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Time to sell the F and buy a new car.
Or instead of being a buzzkill you could tell OP to do headers + 150/200 shot of NOS.

Like Murph said earlier, dyno is only good to measure performance gains before & after mods.
Old 07-31-13, 04:11 PM
ferraribuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much are the two headers? PPE versus sikky?
Old 07-31-13, 04:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

^^^^Welcome to the site This site has an excellent search function, I'd suggest you become familiar with it. Any way, Here's Links to answer your question:

PPE:

http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestor...ers-950001.htm
or
http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=137

Sikky:

http://www.sikky.com/view_item.php?id=148&catid=15

I have a preference, and it's PPE. If you do some reading, I'd bet you come up with the same conclusion.

Lou
Old 08-03-13, 05:06 AM
ferraribuy
Driver School Candidate

cool thanks for the info!
Old 08-03-13, 10:52 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

BHP is crank/motor HP i thought?
pretty much
Old 08-08-13, 03:50 PM
Polkman
Driver

Tomorrow is going to be my first time at a track! I'm super excited, I've read majority of the tips on this forum about brake launching at 1500, lower tire psi, 1/4 tank of gas, take out spare tire/tools,etc... Any other tips will be appreciated as well! Going to add some aesthetic goodies tonight too, so all in all this is going to be a fun weekend!

P.S. I hope I won't disappoint you other F owners on the high possibility of having a crappy time slip. Lol
Old 08-08-13, 04:30 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Tomorrow is going to be my first time at a track! I'm super excited, I've read majority of the tips on this forum about brake launching at 1500, lower tire psi, 1/4 tank of gas, take out spare tire/tools,etc... Any other tips will be appreciated as well! Going to add some aesthetic goodies tonight too, so all in all this is going to be a fun weekend!

P.S. I hope I won't disappoint you other F owners on the high possibility of having a crappy time slip. Lol
I definitely did better just punching the gas as opposed to loading up the torque converter but it could have been a fluke. Hope you do well!
Old 08-08-13, 05:36 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

It's tough for me to understand being disappointed with 350whp with just 2 bolt-ons. I had to use E85 and turbo upgrades to get in that ballpark in other heavily-modded cars...

For me, 300whp is the mark when cars get fun. I'm not sure what octane you get in FL but temps and octane are a huge factor from what you may see posted on the web. The **** we call 91 here in CA is a joke. People with 93 that complain drive me nuts.
Old 08-09-13, 03:59 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

What track are you going to? PBIR? Where ever you go, being down in South FLA will give you a better chance at good times compared to a lot of people just due to DA alone. Im trying to go to the track tonight also.
Old 08-09-13, 05:51 AM
tgui
Pole Position

You best bet is to get headers. A set will net you ~35HP at the wheels. If you want to go even higher you can add a 3rd or 4th header for up to 70HP extra ponies at the wheels. No more than 4 though since our ECU wont support it.
Old 08-09-13, 07:02 AM
Polkman
Driver

Originally Posted by anxiouz
It's tough for me to understand being disappointed with 350whp with just 2 bolt-ons. I had to use E85 and turbo upgrades to get in that ballpark in other heavily-modded cars...

For me, 300whp is the mark when cars get fun. I'm not sure what octane you get in FL but temps and octane are a huge factor from what you may see posted on the web. The **** we call 91 here in CA is a joke. People with 93 that complain drive me nuts.
I didn't complain, I just said that I hoped for a bigger number as would anyone else. I was hoping to hit the 400whp mark once I get the headers, but 50whp from just headers seems unlikely, however ill just have to see.
Old 08-09-13, 07:04 AM
Polkman
Driver

What track are you going to? PBIR? Where ever you go, being down in South FLA will give you a better chance at good times compared to a lot of people just due to DA alone. Im trying to go to the track tonight also.
Yep, PBIR it is for me tonight. I just hope it's not crazy humid tonight.
Old 08-09-13, 07:04 AM
Polkman
Driver

Originally Posted by tgui
You best bet is to get headers. A set will net you ~35HP at the wheels. If you want to go even higher you can add a 3rd or 4th header for up to 70HP extra ponies at the wheels. No more than 4 though since our ECU wont support it.
Can you elaborate on "3rd and 4th header"

Quick Reply: My first dyno