Setting Zero PreLoad on Sikky Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 05:31 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Question Setting Zero PreLoad on Sikky Sway Bars

Hi Guys,

So I just wanted to double check that I have understood the instructions correctly.

So I've copied the instructions from the Sikky PDF and attached a pic below to see if I have understood the terminalogy between turn Buckle and Jam nuts:

Instructions for Setting Zero Preload

Step 1: Remove both rear wheels

Step 2: Set jack stands under lowest knuckle points

Step 3: Lower vehicle till all weight is supported by the jack stands. The suspension now has full load on it.

Step 4: The endlink turn buckle (Yellow) will have pressure on it. Turn it clockwise and counter clockwise until the pressure is relieved.

Step 5: Now that the turn buckle is free, twist is clockwise until it stops and note the position. Then twist it counter clockwise until it stops and note the position. Center the turn buckle in between the 2 noted positions and you will be set at zero pre load.

Step 6: Using a 7/8” wrench hold the turn buckle in place while using a 19mm wrench to tighten both jam nuts (in Red). Tighten the nuts just so they are snug, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.

Basically I want to make sure I'm doing step 4 onwards correctly.

So after I have the suspensions lowered onto the jack stands and suspensions are at full load, I think go about twisting the Turn Buckle (highlighted in Yellow) which will push up against the Jam Nuts correct?

I do this until the Turnk Buckle is free both clockwise and anti-clockwise (so basically free up both Jam Nuts).

Then set the Turn buckle to have it resting in-between both jam nuts and tighten the nuts down again?

Is the above procedure correct? and wouldn't step 4 push against the Jam nuts if the suspensions are already under full load?

Would it not be easier to just set the Jam nuts to the loosest setting before installing them?
Old 08-14-13, 07:44 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that's what I didn't like about Sikky I could never get those things adjusted right and they would self adjust themselves after a while so I ended up using the stock end links with the Sikky sway bar just easier for me and doesn't seem to be a problem
Old 08-14-13, 08:29 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
Yea that's what I didn't like about Sikky I could never get those things adjusted right and they would self adjust themselves after a while so I ended up using the stock end links with the Sikky sway bar just easier for me and doesn't seem to be a problem
Hi Murph, I'm running the Sikky bar too, but sometime i feel the rear floating not stick to the road like the stock bar, i'm thinking swap the stock end links with the Sikky bar like yours, can you tell it is better than the stock combo?
thanks
Old 08-14-13, 09:03 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

shyguyF - yea I ran the sikky with there big turn buckle style end links and I could never get them set right and when I thought I did I would look under a few weeks later and noticed they self adjusted one side would be longer then the other and such. So I decided just remove them and run the stock end links. The sway bar actually feels good I only have it in the middle setting but with the stock end links it feels better IMO and seems to handle better in the canyons now. I am sure if I took the sway bar and had it installed professionally by someone that is familiar with how to set those adjustable end links it would be fine. I say give it a try its a simple sway and see what you think.
Old 08-14-13, 09:27 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
shyguyF - yea I ran the sikky with there big turn buckle style end links and I could never get them set right and when I thought I did I would look under a few weeks later and noticed they self adjusted one side would be longer then the other and such. So I decided just remove them and run the stock end links. The sway bar actually feels good I only have it in the middle setting but with the stock end links it feels better IMO and seems to handle better in the canyons now. I am sure if I took the sway bar and had it installed professionally by someone that is familiar with how to set those adjustable end links it would be fine. I say give it a try its a simple sway and see what you think.
Thanks again Murph! Like you said you are running the stock end links with the middle setting of the Sikky bar right? I'm gonna try following your route.
Old 08-14-13, 10:11 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

^ exactly I take my car through the canyons a lot and feels nice and firm. Way easier than those darn turn buckles sikky sends. If you need a picture or anything let me know i can post it later.

I might try it on the firmest setting one day just to see how different it is.

Good luck
Old 08-14-13, 10:38 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting,

In that case I might be taking the same route as well, and I'm on oem wheels and suspensions so shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the info Murph