California Smog Check Official thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 03:31 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Honorable flowrider,

See https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/cat-...haust-systems/

Seems like you're the one that needs to "educative" himself. this is basic stuff. Feel free to google "what is a catback exhaust" if you need other sources.
Old 11-02-19, 02:33 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I left Sacramento after 24 years in California and moved to Georgia more for this than anything else. I kept getting Test Only for my Supra even though it had never failed once or even come close to failing. The final straw was the last check when the guy looked at my GReddy BOV and said "I can't pass it with that BOV because it's adjustable." He wouldn't even put it on the rollers. I was gone 2 months later to a job paying more money in a place where housing is stupid cheap. Never going back except to visit and laugh at all the taxes Californians pay - like this one!
Did the same thing back in 2015 after 21 years in Contra Costa County (About an hour + south of Sac), no regrets. Lower pay (for now) but a lot more house for the money, less taxes, conceal carry, can carry a loaded rifle.............list goes on.

None of this C.A.R.B smog bull****, people here run catless, X-pipes, headers you name it.

Owned a modded 2004 STi back there.....................the CHP used to hunt us down like a pack of wolves. I knew plenty of people who got these smog related tickets and a special invite to the State Ref. I got lucky and was never stopped.

In 2010 I sold the car and had to put it back to stock so I can smog it and hand over the paperwork to the buyer. He ended up putting the Stage 2 package back on after 6 hours (plus the custom tune I had for it) and called to tell me how great it was.

Fun times growing up in the Bay Area and modifying cars, but it was time to leave.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 11-02-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 09:23 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Secondary Catalytic Converters - Like New!

Since we are on the subject of getting an IS-F smogged: I have the OEM 'IS-F' 'mid pipe' for sale. I am in Orange County. Please see this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...-like-new.html
Old 11-12-19, 01:42 PM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Honorable flowrider,

See https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/cat-...haust-systems/

Seems like you're the one that needs to "educative" himself. this is basic stuff. Feel free to google "what is a catback exhaust" if you need other sources.
Flowrider is definitely right sir, and you are incorrect. Look at any "cat-back" exhaust for sale for the ISF, be it Borla, PPE, etc., they all remove the secondary (downstream cats).
Old 11-12-19, 01:53 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Catback= Everything Behind the cats

Axle Back = Everything behind axles

Header Back = entire exhaust
Old 11-13-19, 10:26 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

if u only have intake and full exhaust, you should be able to pass smog easily , anyone in OC, cali here have passed we have many members here.
Old 11-13-19, 11:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
Flowrider is definitely right sir, and you are incorrect. Look at any "cat-back" exhaust for sale for the ISF, be it Borla, PPE, etc., they all remove the secondary (downstream cats).
Some folks just aren't worth our time. Let them be

Lou
Old 01-15-20, 03:45 PM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFpat
bump. need to smog my car soon, does removing the secondary cat pass smog emissions? I'm not talking about the visual.
I have intake and resonators, did not pass! Trying to figure out what to do now.

P.S. I'm in SD
Old 01-15-20, 03:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^You neglected to say how you failed.

Lou
Old 01-15-20, 04:26 PM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^You neglected to say how you failed.

Lou
?? I pulled in, the dude saw an aftermarket intake with no CARB identification and resonators and decided to fail the car. That was it.

Apologies: I get what you are saying, I was simply stating what made it fail. My total mods are:
-Takeda Intake
-Exhaust mods - Unaware of due to them being on car when purchased.
-Suspension - Car has been lowered on springs about 1" front and rear.

Last edited by Tiggaknock; 01-16-20 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-15-20, 04:42 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Tough luck for you folks. Passed with HPS Intake, AOS, and aftermarket exhaust. Find a place where they are friendly.

The following users liked this post:
MLRSTJ (01-15-20)
Old 01-16-20, 08:21 AM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Tough luck for you folks. Passed with HPS Intake, AOS, and aftermarket exhaust. Find a place where they are friendly.
Point me within a square mile of the place and I'll search the area. lol
Old 01-16-20, 10:58 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiggaknock
Point me within a square mile of the place and I'll search the area. lol
If you failed and it was recorded that you failed, it would be wise to wait a bit before you attempt to take it somewhere else. CA smog shops all know who failed you, where, and for what reason if he actually failed you and recorded it oppose to just seeing it visually and saying i wont do it.

just talked to my smog guy and said, if you failed for a visual and IT was recorded. best bet is wait a couple a days before you go and try again somewhere else. other wise it could draw a red flag in the system not just towards you, but also to those 2 smog shops.
The following users liked this post:
Positron (01-16-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:00 AM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
If you failed and it was recorded that you failed, it would be wise to wait a bit before you attempt to take it somewhere else. CA smog shops all know who failed you, where, and for what reason if he actually failed you and recorded it oppose to just seeing it visually and saying i wont do it.

just talked to my smog guy and said, if you failed for a visual and IT was recorded. best bet is wait a couple a days before you go and try again somewhere else. other wise it could draw a red flag in the system not just towards you, but also to those 2 smog shops.
I tried back in November I believe. I'm attempting to fix the intake if I can find a cheap one. Not trying to pay $600 for a stock piece of plastic.
Old 01-18-20, 09:33 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiggaknock
I tried back in November I believe. I'm attempting to fix the intake if I can find a cheap one. Not trying to pay $600 for a stock piece of plastic.
Where in CA are you?

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread