IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

California Smog Check Official thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 11:37 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the information! I will make sure I find a friendly person to smog my vehicle and hope hes partially blind or doesn't recognize my ISS forged exhaust.
Old 01-03-14, 12:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Yeah, rolling test at 15mph and then at 25mph with the tail-pipe sniffer. My emissions numbers were barely anything at all. Passed with flying colors.

Average HC: 4. ..... My measure: 2
Average CO: .01 ..... My measure: .00
Average NO: 15 ..... My measure: 2

The fail gets sent to the DMV electronically but I can go to any smog shop to have it re-tested.

I'm on the fence about swapping my exhaust and doing it again, or finding a less reputable place. But having 2 fails in a row will certainly get me flagged for STAR for all future tests. So I may just go back to stock temporarily. That's better then getting on the DMV crap-list.
What really needs to happen is to get the gearheads in California to band together and push back on this with CARB. You passed the operational tests with flying colors, you have no DTCs or CELs, and your evaporative emissions system is in tact. There's no good reason why you should not pass. BTW, it's the EVAP system requirements from the SHED test that are the hardest standards in the smog specs to meet. Anyone tampering with the vapor control system truly is unnecessarily polluting.

I don't see why you can't just pay an extra fee to the state for visual failure as long as you meet tailpipe and evap specs. I don't understand why Sacramento is so blind to this revenue opportunity.

As for the smog tech who didn't seem interested in a few extra dollars - the local news in Sacramento was present when CARB did a Gestapo style raid on a guy's smog business for passing illegal cars. I'm talking M-16s and SWAT quite literally storming the place to shut it down. The poor guy behind the desk in the office looked like he pissed his pants. They got shut down, they got fined, they got jail terms, and they can never do smog testing in California again. I can totally understand why a tech would turn down a Benjamin to pass something illegal.
Old 01-03-14, 01:05 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tech was an honest and reasonable guy for sure. I'm not upset he didn't try to work something out for a pass. He did his job professionally and I would certainly go back to him in the future (for my wife's car at least ) and would recommend him to others.

But yes, it's crazy that I pass emissions but failed the overall test. It makes no sense.
Old 01-03-14, 01:28 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

OP, which city did you test at?
Old 01-03-14, 01:43 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I don't think the OP actual did a smog...was just asking for others' results.

Mine was done in Irvine/Lake Forest CA. Closest cross-streets were Rockfield and Bake.
Old 01-03-14, 01:52 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

sorry, i meant you, anxiouz haha thanks. i grew up in irvine, actually. i will avoid smoging my car there in the near future.
Old 01-03-14, 02:12 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Indeed, haha. If you check page 1 of this thread I stated "I've never failed any smog test in any car ever." I jinxed myself.
Old 01-03-14, 02:20 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And if you are completely zero emission, they will make you go back to becoming a polluter as long as you fail visual inspection. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of clean emission? I understand people can mess around but if you passed the freakn sniffer, it should be all good. Make it simple, if it's clean, then let it go! I f'n hate **** cali.
Old 01-03-14, 03:05 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I don't think the OP actual did a smog...was just asking for others' results.

Mine was done in Irvine/Lake Forest CA. Closest cross-streets were Rockfield and Bake.
Is it that little place by the auto center next to wheel and tire connection? I always get my tires there and thought about smoging next door but I may not now.
Old 01-03-14, 05:16 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

anxious….PM me if you want to pass without taking anything off
Old 01-04-14, 11:03 PM
TheF
Driver School Candidate

I have been a gear head all my life and Tech for 10 yrs+ .... Guys who think their smog shop will fail them please don't take it there. As of now since all 08 isf is now due for inspection make sure all parts are back to OEM or have E.O # for all aftermarket parts that isn't consider O.E replacement . It's not consider "most likely to fail or gross polluter" yet ! Let's keep it this way .. So we all must keep it passing with first try otherwise the BAR and ARB will put our cars in the star certified required .if too many visual fail for tampered . Furthermore new program is in the process of just OBD testing without dynometer load mode testing for 2000 and newer .... Please don't give them idea to reverse the new bill . Don't ruined it for everyone else ... If it take 10 minutes to change out your intake and 1 hr to replaced your headers and exhaust ... Do it!! I feel all your concern and trouble when it's time for inspection. Any question you can pm and ask me. I also work at a star certified station bring your car by . In mission viejo.
Old 01-04-14, 11:08 PM
TheF
Driver School Candidate

As I m also a car enthusiast and isf owner, I sure can help our fellow isf owner. And members as much as I can .
Old 01-07-14, 07:26 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update. Took the ISF in for my smog check today. Passed with no issues. Tech said numbers were beautiful just like the car. Smogged with joe Z exhaust, intake and aftermarket air filter.

I'm in SoCal
Old 01-07-14, 08:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Just had mine done today as well. My shop guy actually had to bring out a laptop and check on how the engine bay and exhaust looked to make sure nothing was modified. A quick glance, and I mean quick, and he printed out my smog check report. Driving back home, I was strongly debating if I should get some headers. Now would be the time, I guess.
Old 01-07-14, 08:27 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after 6 years we need to smog our cars every 2 years or every year?

Quick Reply: California Smog Check Official thread