IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How often do you get alignment/balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 07:27 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How often do you get alignment/balancing?

How often does your F get an alignment/balancing? It's been a while for me (over 10k miles), I found no need for it since the car tracks fairly straight and feels stable at highway speeds. Do you guys take it to the dealer or a small shop? Also, what are the alignment specs for maximum tire life?

Last edited by VtotheJ; 08-19-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-19-13, 07:58 AM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done shortly after I bought it at about 17k at the dealer and they told me the first owner had never had it done in all the records they had. Not sure if it really needed it but my dad had just had a blowout on the highway and driven a half a mile on just the rim so it definitely didn't hurt to have it done while they were putting a new wheel and tire on.
Old 08-19-13, 08:10 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

alignment and balancing is only supposed to be done when you get wheels or suspension components changed. Anything more than that your just wasting money. its good to get suspension and wheel components checked every 20-30k miles, but it cost very little. Sears usually does it for free! (thats if you really trust them with your car, I trust the one near me). Dealerships usually do it for free during service but outside of service, cost like $20-30 bucks
Old 08-19-13, 10:08 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
alignment and balancing is only supposed to be done when you get wheels or suspension components changed. Anything more than that your just wasting money. its good to get suspension and wheel components checked every 20-30k miles, but it cost very little. Sears usually does it for free! (thats if you really trust them with your car, I trust the one near me). Dealerships usually do it for free during service but outside of service, cost like $20-30 bucks
I would disagree with most points in your post.

Changing the wheels does not change your suspension geometry. A 19" wheel and a 17" wheel will have the same camber/toe/caster if you changed each other out without touching your suspension.

Checking your alignment is necessary for proper tire wear over the lifespan of the tires. Road conditions may alter your alignment (potholes, dips, bumps on road) as well as over the duration of the car the alignment may change as your suspension components wear out. So depending on how often you drive, you may want to check your alignment every few months to see if anything has changed. (slight camber change will change toe, not good for tires)

FYI by the time you realize your toe is off, you may have done more wear on your tires than you have expected. Just because the car feels like it drives straight, doesnt mean the alignment hasn't changed.
Old 08-19-13, 11:09 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I would disagree with most points in your post.

Changing the wheels does not change your suspension geometry. A 19" wheel and a 17" wheel will have the same camber/toe/caster if you changed each other out without touching your suspension.

Checking your alignment is necessary for proper tire wear over the lifespan of the tires. Road conditions may alter your alignment (potholes, dips, bumps on road) as well as over the duration of the car the alignment may change as your suspension components wear out. So depending on how often you drive, you may want to check your alignment every few months to see if anything has changed. (slight camber change will change toe, not good for tires)

FYI by the time you realize your toe is off, you may have done more wear on your tires than you have expected. Just because the car feels like it drives straight, doesnt mean the alignment hasn't changed.
I don't disagee with you but I am right with the understanding that "Alignment" is suspension components, and "Balancing" is wheel components.

Changing wheel size doesn't affect suspension geometry which is true but balancing your wheels is necessary each time you mount a new tire to a new rim (balancing NOT necessary when mounting rim to car just so there is no confusion on what i am saying)

Checking your alignment is necessary when changing suspension components from wear due to road conditions BUT if your camber or toe changes over the time span of a few months then that means you would need to check the quality of suspension components to drastically change your toe/camber. Most shops if not ALL shops guarentee alignment only up to a year but a lot of cars can go longer without a realignment with proper suspension components. Yes you should have it checked often but its not required to spend the $100 bucks a year for re-alignment hence me saying its a waste of money. You do an alignment only when necessary.

Under stock car conditions, i think its fair to say that there is no such thing as Balancing your suspension or Alignment for your wheels/tires
Old 08-19-13, 11:29 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

I don't disagee with you but I am right with the understanding that "Alignment" is suspension components, and "Balancing" is wheel components.

Changing wheel size doesn't affect suspension geometry which is true but balancing your wheels is necessary each time you mount a new tire to a new rim (balancing NOT necessary when mounting rim to car just so there is no confusion on what i am saying)

Checking your alignment is necessary when changing suspension components from wear due to road conditions BUT if your camber or toe changes over the time span of a few months then that means you would need to check the quality of suspension components to drastically change your toe/camber. Most shops if not ALL shops guarentee alignment only up to a year but a lot of cars can go longer without a realignment with proper suspension components. Yes you should have it checked often but its not required to spend the $100 bucks a year for re-alignment hence me saying its a waste of money. You do an alignment only when necessary.

Under stock car conditions, i think its fair to say that there is no such thing as Balancing your suspension or Alignment for your wheels/tires

Balancing and alignment is completely different.. balancing is NOT part of an alignment. Having an unbalanced wheel does not change your toe or camber.. the suspension (all control arms/bushing/balljoints etc) has an effect on your alignment.. balancing does however have an effect on tire wear, but so does a bent wheel. Like i said.. when you get new wheels/tires, you balance the wheels/tires and mount it onto the car. Alignment isn't necessary after that.

Toe changes even a little during a span of a few months depending on how much you drive and road conditions. In Cali we have horrible roads, toe changes with each pothole, train track, bump you drive over.. even if its slight.

Shops have a guarantee only because other shops do (to stay competitive). Seriously, its a headache for them to have a guarantee due to road conditions, driving habits and aged suspension components. I do say you should definitely get it checked, but I'm not saying you'll need it every 10,000-20,000 miles.. it really depends on all the factors I listed. I had my alignment change a week after I had it done because I wasn't paying attention and I hit a pothole.

Stock car or modded car does not change.. you can have a screwed up alignment with stock cars as much as modded cars.. this is why dealerships have alignment racks, they are there for stock vehicles.
Old 08-19-13, 11:37 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Balancing and alignment is completely different.. .
Re-Read my post dude, This is exactly what I'm trying to explain. Like I said, Its with the understanding that "Alignment" is suspension components, and "Balancing" is wheel components. Two totally different services.

I do say you should definitely get it checked, but I'm not saying you'll need it every 10,000-20,000 miles..
Again exactly what im trying to explain from my original post. Getting suspension check frequently is necessary but having a full 4 wheel alignment is not 100% necessary during ANY interval. Its an open ended interval as it, you only do it when necessary!

Last edited by NYKnick101; 08-19-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-19-13, 11:57 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Re-Read my post dude, This is exactly what I'm trying to explain. Like I said, Its with the understanding that "Alignment" is suspension components, and "Balancing" is wheel components. Two totally different services.

Again exactly what im trying to explain from my original post. Getting suspension check frequently is necessary but having a full 4 wheel alignment is not 100% necessary during ANY interval. Its an open ended interval as it, you only do it when necessary!
Your original post mentioned that you should do an alignment and balance when you change your suspension OR wheels changed.. you probably mean get an alignment when suspension changes and balance when wheels changed.

Sorry if I mis-interpreted what you were saying.
Old 08-19-13, 12:16 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

VJ u barely drive your car so no need you garage queen!

Last edited by Evil Teo; 08-19-13 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-19-13, 12:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,361 Posts

To answer the OPs question, Allign:

1. With every tire change.

2. If you visually can see an unusual wear pattern developing in the tires tread.

3. Any suspension modification or suspension part change.

4. If you have hit a pothole with enough force to make a large bump. This is subjective, but you can make the determination.

Lou
Old 08-19-13, 12:35 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 82 Posts

yeah, I just changed the oil on my F the other day and noticed the inside of my front tires are wearing quick in comparison to the rest of the tire...and my car is stock height. Common issue or in need of an alignment?
Old 08-19-13, 02:16 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
To answer the OPs question, Allign:

1. With every tire change.

2. If you visually can see an unusual wear pattern developing in the tires tread.

3. Any suspension modification or suspension part change.

4. If you have hit a pothole with enough force to make a large bump. This is subjective, but you can make the determination.

Lou
There's no logic in aligning with every tire change.. lol

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
yeah, I just changed the oil on my F the other day and noticed the inside of my front tires are wearing quick in comparison to the rest of the tire...and my car is stock height. Common issue or in need of an alignment?
Bushing issue. Fig's bushing will fix that.
Old 08-19-13, 03:59 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

With all my cars:

When I buy new tires or if I notice any weird wear. (usually never for the latter)
Old 08-19-13, 04:18 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There's no set interval for alignment. If you alter any part of the suspension components, then you'll definitely need to check the alignment since it'll change the suspension geometry. If you hit a pothole hard enough, there's a change your alignment might go out of spec.

Make sure you check your tire pressure regularly. Inconsistent tire pressure plays a big part in abnormal tire wear and diminished performance.

Terrance
Old 08-19-13, 05:21 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a tire mounter and balencer in my garage so when ever I feel the balance is off Ill take care of it. As far as the alignment I do a string alignment any time I see the tire ware off.

Quick Reply: How often do you get alignment/balancing?