IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Moved on from the IS-F...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 09:47 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I was wanting a Z06 but it all came down to money... I wasn't ready to spend the extra $10K...

I understand how some might think its a downgrade... and on interior quality, I agree. But the trade off for fun factor is well worth it. Not to mention, the Vette is definitely faster. And nothing beats rowing your own gears with a 6spd and a V8.

For those on here, how many have actually owned a Vette? Until you do, you won't really understand how much personality they have... I always felt the F was a bit bland and boring..

As far as reliability, I did have several issues with my Lexus and the parts for that car were insanely overpriced. The LS3 in the Vettes are pretty bulletproof and they are also much less complicated and easier to work on than the F.

Last edited by CK9887; 08-22-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 10:00 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define faster... I've always had no issues with vettes on the drag strip (C6, and ever the z06 races I've had have been within a few tenths due to it seems they're tough to handle and get the power down) the twisties may be a different story.

Congrats, as long as it puts a smile on your face, all that matters.
Old 08-22-13, 10:06 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Vette. I have been tempted by the ZR1s, drove one a while back and I must say that car is insane. Personally the New C7 is very tempting, best bang for your buck these days, cant wait to see what they will do with the new Z06 or ZR1
Old 08-22-13, 12:17 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Reliability? Its a LS motor, super easy to work on and mod lol. my friends ls motor has 200k miles on it.
Old 08-22-13, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Originally Posted by CUTigers
Reliability? Its a LS motor, super easy to work on and mod lol. my friends ls motor has 200k miles on it.
A few of my friends who track their Z06's haven't had this experience at all. Too many blown engines for my taste. Still the Vette is a fun car for sure, and with their good suspension option, a very track worthy car for a road course.
Old 08-22-13, 12:51 PM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A few of my friends who track their Z06's haven't had this experience at all. Too many blown engines for my taste. Still the Vette is a fun car for sure, and with their good suspension option, a very track worthy car for a road course.
What popped in the engines? I'm guessing oil starvation related?

Also, good suspension, but, but LEAF SPRINGS?! j/k
Old 08-22-13, 12:53 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It is not a change I would make, but when you said you've owned Vettes previously, it all made sense. Sometimes you get a soft spot for a particular car and just keep going back to it. I had 2 different S2000 previously and I know people who are on their 3rd or 4th. It's not that they can't afford a "better" car... it's that they just love the S2000. Nothing wrong with loving the Vette!

The Vette is more of a pure sports car than the ISF for sure. The two cars are not in the same category. Stock for stock, the base C6 is a tad faster than the ISF. Add headers and exhaust to the ISF and it is faster... add headers and exhaust to the C6 and it would take the lead again. No doubt the Vette would fare better around a typical road course too. Of course the ISF excels in luxury, practicality, and comfort. It's all about what you want. You don't see many people cross-shopping Vettes and ISFs though.

If it were me, I would have at least waited until I could have afforded to jump into a Z06. Well honestly, for the same money, if I were looking at a 2 door 2 seater, I'd be looking at something from Porsche... maybe a nice Cayman S. Either way, glad you're happy with the purchase!
Old 08-22-13, 12:53 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hope a Z06 is faster, that's it's only function lol. Comparing 2 completely different cars..
Old 08-22-13, 12:59 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have had them fill in the holes and repaint the bumper
Old 08-22-13, 01:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
What popped in the engines? I'm guessing oil starvation related?

Also, good suspension, but, but LEAF SPRINGS?! j/k
Not really sure what the issues were, but these guys are pretty fast and three of them lost engines before 30k. All got the engines repaired under warranty and sold the cars.

Not to say they can't be reliable, just the factory builds seem to be a little less than stellar for the heavy footed.
Old 08-22-13, 01:26 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
I would hope a Z06 is faster, that's it's only function lol. Comparing 2 completely different cars..
He didn't get a Z06. He got a base C6. Both are faster than the ISF though, for what it is worth. Stock base C6 times are in the lower 12s, and stock Z06 times are in the low 11s.
Old 08-22-13, 02:00 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not really sure what the issues were, but these guys are pretty fast and three of them lost engines before 30k. All got the engines repaired under warranty and sold the cars.

Not to say they can't be reliable, just the factory builds seem to be a little less than stellar for the heavy footed.
The LS7 is notorious for pre mature valve guide wear causing engine failure. Another reason I was hesitant to spend the extra money on the Z06. The LS3's tho are pretty solid.
Old 08-22-13, 02:02 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

I did also test drive two Cayman S's... loved the car but just not enough power for me...
Old 08-22-13, 02:15 PM
nonford
Rookie

Glad your carmax experience went well! We may be going that route on a nicely priced x5. There is one I am looking at and another in houston that requires a xfer. We'll c which one she prefers. I too am looking at a stingray, been debating on that as I really love the F. Just the fact of surprising others in their untouchables has been priceless with this car.
Old 08-22-13, 02:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like Vettes but I don't think I would trade an ISF for one. But I haven't owned either so what do I know. I guess I feel that way because I had 2 Camaro's that were the most unreliable cars I have ever had. During my many trips to the shop, I always noticed how many Vettes were also there with lots of issues. I remember talking to one Vette owner who told me that during the 3 years he had his Vette, it had over 100 issues requiring a trip to the shop. I have never forgotten that.

Quick Reply: Moved on from the IS-F...