IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Moved on from the IS-F...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 03:19 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Couldnt disagree more with this trade......but it doesnt matter...as long as your happy with the trade up(cough) congrats!
Old 08-22-13, 03:50 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy to hear all the LS7 problems. Didnt know they were so bad in factory form. Maybe my GM friends blow theirs up on their own before the normal problems kick in haha
Old 08-22-13, 06:11 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
It is not a change I would make, but when you said you've owned Vettes previously, it all made sense. Sometimes you get a soft spot for a particular car and just keep going back to it. I had 2 different S2000 previously and I know people who are on their 3rd or 4th. It's not that they can't afford a "better" car... it's that they just love the S2000. Nothing wrong with loving the Vette!

The Vette is more of a pure sports car than the ISF for sure. The two cars are not in the same category. Stock for stock, the base C6 is a tad faster than the ISF. Add headers and exhaust to the ISF and it is faster... add headers and exhaust to the C6 and it would take the lead again. No doubt the Vette would fare better around a typical road course too. Of course the ISF excels in luxury, practicality, and comfort. It's all about what you want. You don't see many people cross-shopping Vettes and ISFs though.

If it were me, I would have at least waited until I could have afforded to jump into a Z06. Well honestly, for the same money, if I were looking at a 2 door 2 seater, I'd be looking at something from Porsche... maybe a nice Cayman S. Either way, glad you're happy with the purchase!
Dude are you try to equilibrium cmon bro pick a side women dontl like guys are hesitate like that heheeeeh jk pick on ya
Old 08-22-13, 06:46 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My moms always owned vettes from a 76 stingray to her current 2012 100 anniversary vette I've driven her newest vette it's a fun car but so lengthy I hate parking that thing lol

I would only do vette if zo6 or better

I'm actually really interested in seeing the new vette in person!

Congrats and have fun with it
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

the new 2014 vette is growing on me. If I can get a good deal on it this winter i might trade the F in for it. Don't need zo6. I'll make it faster and mod it myself
Old 08-22-13, 09:31 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't like the new stingrays. I don't like the looks and with all the extra gizmos they've added, the Vette now weighs 3,444lbs... I'll be happy with my C6.

Like I said, if I had a family or needed the space of a 4 seater, the F is perfect.... but as a weekend toy, can't beat the Vette!
Old 08-22-13, 10:51 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

My biggest issue with them... is every 5th car down the road is some old dude in his corvette, they're everywhere. What fun is that.
Old 08-23-13, 03:01 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DansonISF
Dude are you try to equilibrium cmon bro pick a side women dontl like guys are hesitate like that heheeeeh jk pick on ya
I've picked my side... ISF! If I were to get a 2 seater, it'd be a Cayman S. I have zero desire to have a base C6. But i'm not going to slam the OP for getting a car he loves. To each their own!
Old 08-23-13, 05:12 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CK9887
I was wanting a Z06 but it all came down to money... I wasn't ready to spend the extra $10K...

I understand how some might think its a downgrade... and on interior quality, I agree. But the trade off for fun factor is well worth it. Not to mention, the Vette is definitely faster. And nothing beats rowing your own gears with a 6spd and a V8.

For those on here, how many have actually owned a Vette? Until you do, you won't really understand how much personality they have... I always felt the F was a bit bland and boring..

As far as reliability, I did have several issues with my Lexus and the parts for that car were insanely overpriced. The LS3 in the Vettes are pretty bulletproof and they are also much less complicated and easier to work on than the F.
This really as many other choices is a personal call dependent on personal situation of likes, necessity, and wants. As I had a C5 zo6 cammed, painted entire interior, exterior spent total of 75K on that can and painted by Pat Maxwell. It was an awesome ride, but many technical and luxuries that it cannot compare to the F. A few issues I had with vette was broken valve springs, unraveling dampeners in torque tube on drive shaft causing insane vibration, broken driver bracket, failing Bose amplifier, grounding issues which is common due to fiberglass monoculture, etc. and list goes on. The build quality based on experiences and my field is non-comparable and matters to me. But it was damn fast after mods. But, inversely I have ripped many auto and manual stock C6's with a passenger and yes they could drive and for power to weight dead even race for pulls up to 70 so for "my" choice the F is most versatile in my situation as an engineer whom has to tailor vendors and customers around at times, 2 kids and a family, which a 2-seater of coarse cannot provide extra room and comfort. Also, exclusivity is nice where in Houston a Corvette, while an amazing ride an choice dont get me wrong, is as common as Hondas on the road. While the F's homage has been only here for a few years, after the LFA and proven tech of Lexus and based upon engineering I can highly respect and lean toward Lexus by default. Also, their customer service and experiance the provide is second to none. At the GM dealer here in Houston where I bought my previous, camaro, corvette, and Equinox previous to owning a Lexus the pre and post experiences when I needed help was **** poor and deplorable. But, with all that said which is quite contradictory I do miss the presence the vetter had
Old 08-23-13, 07:18 AM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to DD a C6Z and there are few badder rides out there. Mine went 11.65@126.10 bone stock, got 28+ mpg on the highway, had all the room in the world for a sports car, and could hold all kinds of crap in the hatch. I never had one single problem in 2yrs of ownership. I also took the car to a couple of road courses and walked away with FTD on street tires each time.

I have been seriously thinking about selling the F and getting back into one. They are absolute riots.
Old 08-23-13, 07:50 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

My best friend had a twin turbo'd C5 Z06. Fastest car I've ever driven by a long shot. I am not going to jump on the fanboy bandwagon that some people do every time someone posts about a car other than the F. I have appreciation for all sorts of cars.

My point is just that the ISF and the Corvette fill two totally different holes in the market, so it is unusual that someone would cross-shop the two. The only thing that they have in common is V8 and performance. Beyond that, they're like night and day. Now a ISF to CTS-V trade I'd understand...
Old 08-23-13, 08:25 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Kevin you're probably the only practical person on here, I completely agree.

Can't have it all I guess, ISF is certainly a fun car but there are definitely more fun cars that cost less. In some instances you get what you pay for. I raced my friend's C5 Z06 from a dead stop, from a roll at different speeds, he had me 3 out of the 4 times. He ended up getting rid of it since he wanted something more practical. I would love to test drive one to see what the hype is all about.
Old 08-23-13, 09:49 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbb
My best friend had a twin turbo'd C5 Z06. Fastest car I've ever driven by a long shot. I am not going to jump on the fanboy bandwagon that some people do every time someone posts about a car other than the F. I have appreciation for all sorts of cars.

My point is just that the ISF and the Corvette fill two totally different holes in the market, so it is unusual that someone would cross-shop the two. The only thing that they have in common is V8 and performance. Beyond that, they're like night and day. Now a ISF to CTS-V trade I'd understand...
I agree they are two different animals... I didn't need 4 seats so the Vette made more sense to me. My two previous Vettes were C5's, one being a Z06. I would not own another one as they are becoming too dated and do tend to have a fair amount of issues. The C6 fixed many of the C5 issues.

I've owned many import and american sports cars... So I like both. I tend to try something different every one to two years and I was at that point of boredom with the F so why not get the C6 I've always wanted...

Last edited by CK9887; 08-23-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-23-13, 09:53 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fstpassat
I used to DD a C6Z and there are few badder rides out there. Mine went 11.65@126.10 bone stock, got 28+ mpg on the highway, had all the room in the world for a sports car, and could hold all kinds of crap in the hatch. I never had one single problem in 2yrs of ownership. I also took the car to a couple of road courses and walked away with FTD on street tires each time.

I have been seriously thinking about selling the F and getting back into one. They are absolute riots.
I really wanted a Z06... and could have got one if I stretched myself. They are insanely fast. The valve issues with the LS7 had me worried though and when I found the C6 which had everything I wanted, I decided to pull the trigger. Being self employed, money is not always guaranteed so it was nice to save a little also.
Old 08-23-13, 12:03 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK9887
I really wanted a Z06... and could have got one if I stretched myself. They are insanely fast. The valve issues with the LS7 had me worried though and when I found the C6 which had everything I wanted, I decided to pull the trigger. Being self employed, money is not always guaranteed so it was nice to save a little also.
I thought the valve issues were fixed on the 09+ models?

Quick Reply: Moved on from the IS-F...