IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dinged after just 3 weeks of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13 | 03:28 PM
gshyu
Rookie

Angry Dinged after just 3 weeks of ownership

Heading up the 57 last Friday, traffic was stop and go. I stopped in time, but sadly, the 80 year old lady in a gold Camry didn't (DOB really was 1933 - not being "age-ist" here!); she was too buy looking at the motorcycle cop who passed us on the left. Luckily, she wasn't going very fast, but fast enough to do some damage.

The two screws on her front license plate dug deep enough into my rear bumper to where she removed a bit of paint and plastic. She tried to deny that she was the one who caused damage to the rear bumper, but I pointed to my temp registration still on my front windshield and proceeded to dig bits of silver plastic from the Phillip's screw heads from her front plate mount.

Fast forward to this morning: I took my F into the shop for an estimate and also for her claims adjuster to assess the damage. Her insurance company agreed to pay up and provide me a rental car. The damage: $769.64. Thank goodness she had insurance...

So now I'm cruising around in a rented Mercedes C250. God, I miss my IS-F!

Drive safe out there and watch out for people who aren't paying attention!
Old 08-28-13 | 04:09 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you are okay. At least they got you a Benz rental. Much better than say a Focus
Old 08-28-13 | 04:20 PM
gshyu
Rookie

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Glad you are okay. At least they got you a Benz rental. Much better than say a Focus
Yeah, for sure. I was lucky it didn't occur at higher speeds. The car would've been toast and my back shot.

The Merc has been fun thus far. The lack of paddle shifters hasn't stopped me from upshifting and downshifting with the shift lever itself. Turn off EPS and it becomes a pretty fun car.

I can't wait to get back into the IS-F, especially after trucking around in a Turbo-4.
Old 08-28-13 | 06:10 PM
Vervish
Racer

Glad you are ok and it turned out as good as it could have. No one hurt, her insurance is covering and the damage is only cosmetic.
Old 08-29-13 | 07:28 AM
Clownshoes
Driver

Glad you're okay, that is what really counts.

Could be worse, though. My chiropractor just got his GTR after selling his NSX and saving up for a long time. 4 days; 4 short days he had it before some clown plowed into it on the parking lot of his office to the tune of 10K in damage.

I haven't even had a chance to see it yet as it is in the shop and has been for the last few weeks waiting on parts.

Miraculously, the guy left a note and his insurance is handling it, but still… 4 days and the honeymoon came to a crashing end.
Old 08-29-13 | 10:00 AM
gshyu
Rookie

Means a lot when all the contributors to this thread expressed "relief" for me being ok.

I'm told the car will be ready tomorrow.. I've been told many things by body shops before, so I'm not holding my breath.

@Clownshoes - that really bites for your chiro friend. Good thing he wasn't in the car, because with $10k of damage done, he might've needed a trip to ... well... another chiropractor..
Old 08-30-13 | 03:45 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Glad you hear you're ok, and sorry to hear about your new F.

That had to be a real bummer to only have it for such a short time and having it damaged. When my new ES was delivered to me last year it had license plate holding screw head paint dings in the back bumper from being bumped during transport. I was so bummed! I had it fixed, but it was still painful.
Old 08-30-13 | 09:24 AM
gshyu
Rookie

@SatComm - Yeah, that really sucks. You're expecting a full new car experience, but those bumper dings mars it just enough...

As I was wandering around the shop looking for my ISF to check on progress, I saw another Mercury Metallic ISF getting work done. The entire rear end had to be replaced including a new trunk pan and structural beams. I was really fortunate to have gotten away with what amounts to not much more than a love tap.
Old 08-30-13 | 09:43 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Good to hear it was only cosmetic damages and you're OK.

Man, I'm always half-nervous that something like what happened to you could happen to me on the freeways. You just never know.

Talking about parking lot accidents, that's why I always park far.. faaaar away from all the other cars. Not that parking far away from where most of the cars are will prevent an accident per se, but it just feels.. safer.
Old 08-30-13 | 09:58 AM
gshyu
Rookie

Originally Posted by kdm
Good to hear it was only cosmetic damages and you're OK.

Man, I'm always half-nervous that something like what happened to you could happen to me on the freeways. You just never know.

Talking about parking lot accidents, that's why I always park far.. faaaar away from all the other cars. Not that parking far away from where most of the cars are will prevent an accident per se, but it just feels.. safer.
Haha what you said! I actually prefer parking next to those curb planters at the very ends. Granted, those damn sprinklers could go off, but a trip to the carwash sure beat a visit to the body shop!

Stay safe in SoCal - where there's a volatile mix of aggressive drivers and oblivious phone users who really need to be somewhere else besides on the freeways.
Old 08-30-13 | 10:36 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

My front end has so many rock chips and such that I wouldn't be so upset if the front got hit. But my rear is in good shape so I would hate that. Having a new car...I can't even imagine.

Glad it all worked out fairly painlessly though. You should have told them that you had a Wald or Toms diffuser that got torn off and lost on the fwy. ;-) If they're already paying $800, what's another $1k haha.
Old 08-30-13 | 12:56 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gshyu
Heading up the 57 last Friday, traffic was stop and go. I stopped in time, but sadly, the 80 year old lady in a gold Camry didn't (DOB really was 1933 - not being "age-ist" here!); she was too buy looking at the motorcycle cop who passed us on the left. Luckily, she wasn't going very fast, but fast enough to do some damage.

The two screws on her front license plate dug deep enough into my rear bumper to where she removed a bit of paint and plastic. She tried to deny that she was the one who caused damage to the rear bumper, but I pointed to my temp registration still on my front windshield and proceeded to dig bits of silver plastic from the Phillip's screw heads from her front plate mount.

Fast forward to this morning: I took my F into the shop for an estimate and also for her claims adjuster to assess the damage. Her insurance company agreed to pay up and provide me a rental car. The damage: $769.64. Thank goodness she had insurance...

So now I'm cruising around in a rented Mercedes C250. God, I miss my IS-F!

Drive safe out there and watch out for people who aren't paying attention!

YAHHHHHHHH congratulations bro finally u got a new bumper heheheh jk and glass u r ok hihhihi