IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 Lexus ISF rubbing sound when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 08:19 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Well, that's the good news. The dealer screwed up. IMHO, you want to keep the headers. What exhaust is installed, I assume it's a third part dual system since both sets of cats are gone. Probably a JoeZ or Borla. Try to keep that. Have the dealer weld in a set of HiFlow cats and as JoeZ suggested above, realign the headers. That is, unless you want to return it to stock. As has been suggested, if you do this you'll lose about 50 wheel horsepower.

Try to ignore ROK, he believes no modifications should ever be performed on an ISF, and I assume any car. But, that is his opinion, not the opinion of 99% of forum members.

Lou
Lol. Or you can go back to stock headers because oem is best? In all honesty, if you are on this forum (assuming you are an enthusiast), this is a complete blessing that needs some slight tweaking. Just keep the headers!
Old 08-31-13, 08:53 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Try to ignore ROK, he believes no modifications should ever be performed on an ISF, and I assume any car. But, that is his opinion, not the opinion of 99% of forum members.

Lou
I agree with him on the headers. There is no tuning for this car, having headers is nothing but a pain in the butt. (I've had full exhaust, no cats on all my GM LSx cars). Now if we are talking an intake tube or catback exhaust..that is different.
Old 08-31-13, 09:19 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I agree with him on the headers. There is no tuning for this car, having headers is nothing but a pain in the butt. (I've had full exhaust, no cats on all my GM LSx cars). Now if we are talking an intake tube or catback exhaust..that is different.
How is having headers relevant to tuning? The ECU compensates enough to make headers worthwhile. Sure it is difficult to install almost all headers are fairly difficult to install on all makes/models but you have to pay to play to get to that 400whp goal.
Old 08-31-13, 09:24 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by ISFpat
How is having headers relevant to tuning? The ECU compensates enough to make headers worthwhile. Sure it is difficult to install almost all headers are fairly difficult to install on all makes/models but you have to pay to play to get to that 400whp goal.
You dont have to play with wires or wire in a black box sensor.

You can tune the check of the rear 02 sensors out, so no check engine light. There is no worrying that the box will go bad, or if one of the wires will hit the header and burn and short out.

Needless to say, as I've gotten older I've learned to just buy something fast right out of the box and enjoy it and beat the **** out of it.
Old 08-31-13, 09:34 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
You dont have to play with wires or wire in a black box sensor.

You can tune the check of the rear 02 sensors out, so no check engine light. There is no worrying that the box will go bad, or if one of the wires will hit the header and burn and short out.

Needless to say, as I've gotten older I've learned to just buy something fast right out of the box and enjoy it and beat the **** out of it.
A proper install of the headers will never cause issues.. you're giving excuses and alternative solutions to an issue that doesn't typically exist. The issue the OP is seeing here is from a used car that obviously didn't have a proper install (which is why the original owner gave up the car WITH the headers) anyone with a right mind would of paid for a uninstall and banked on some money by selling the headers.

BTW, modding cars always poses issues.. if you're worried about CEL's, noises, things that can go wrong from any aftermarket mod then I agree, just buy a stock car and leave it alone.

(This is why I'm willing to pay more to go to a reputable shop with experience on IS-F installs and get it done right the first time and not have the problems the OP is having)
Old 08-31-13, 09:47 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by ISFpat
BTW, modding cars always poses issues.. if you're worried about CEL's, noises, things that can go wrong from any aftermarket mod then I agree, just buy a stock car and leave it alone.
Yup youre right. Thats why when I had my modified GM LSx cars, I had a separate Lexus ES300 that I kept bone stock and drove once in a while as a back up in case of any issues.
Old 09-04-13, 02:42 PM
dave4262
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a shop in the NJ / NY area that can realign the header if I decided to keep it?
Old 09-04-13, 04:10 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dave4262
Is there a shop in the NJ / NY area that can realign the header if I decided to keep it?
A little further out (Baltimore) but this shop has done more header installs on the F than anyone else.

Highly recommend
http://www.jeimportperformance.com/JE/
Old 09-12-13, 08:30 AM
dave4262
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a carbon fiber grill surround for my F. Any idea where I can get one?
Old 10-28-23, 09:20 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

I got new set of tires, same size as before, running front 245/35/19 on 2010 stock wheels with 10mm spacers, sitting low on KW coilovers. Now, unfortunately, I am getting some front passenger side rubbing against the fender liner. I will raise the coils by two turns likely to made up for the fresh new tires increased size. I only rub when turning left, I wonder if extending the length of my right adjustable sway bar link would help to reduce the body roll when turning left and help the situation?