IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need Honest opinions about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 08:41 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Honest opinions about exhaust

I know this question might sound like beating a dead horse but I just need answers and opinions before I jump the gun on a aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking to get an exhaust for my ISF my problem is the following:

1.Im not looking forward to the inside drone while driving (I take long trips w the fam).
2.Don't want to loose the beautiful sound the engine makes @ 4k
3.Just want to enhance the sound a bit.
4. Not looking for a loud exhaust that everyone can hear 3 blocks down.
5. Custom exhaust? Borla?
To those who have had plenty of exhaust, what is the best option to achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks for looking
Old 08-29-13, 08:48 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ur only option will be Borla, I had it and it is very "wife friendly" with the inside cabin noise and even at aggressive acceleration it is very accomadating noise wise. It wasn't loud enough for me so I picked up a Joe Z and it's amazing. People compliment the sound almost every place I take it to but my wife isn't a big fan of it especially with the windows down.
Old 08-29-13, 08:55 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Ur only option will be Borla, I had it and it is very "wife friendly" with the inside cabin noise and even at aggressive acceleration it is very accomadating noise wise. It wasn't loud enough for me so I picked up a Joe Z and it's amazing. People compliment the sound almost every place I take it to but my wife isn't a big fan of it especially with the windows down.
That's exactly my problem, I would love to have the JoeZ or ISS forged but I think the drone/loudness will be too much. Only thing I hate about the borla is all those clamps....
Old 08-29-13, 08:57 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
There is another option:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
That's exactly my problem, I would love to have the JoeZ or ISS forged but I think the drone/loudness will be too much. Only thing I hate about the borla is all those clamps....
I agree on those clamps But, if you like the exhaust otherwise, you could always weld the pipes.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-29-13 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 09:01 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
There is another option:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

I agree on those clamps But, if you like the exhaust otherwise, you could always weld the pipes.

Lou
Interesting...but how can I tell my custom guy to build this, do you have anymore pics? Dyi perhaps? Any front Inside?
Old 08-29-13, 09:01 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think ur 2 options would be borla or custom like Lou's setup if you don't want the drone but a little bit deeper growl to it. I had the Joez and tested on my wife she didn't even notice the difference. Never ask a question. When I had headers installed she notice it...lol
Old 08-29-13, 09:04 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I think ur 2 options would be borla or custom like Lou's setup if you don't want the drone but a little bit deeper growl to it. I had the Joez and tested on my wife she didn't even notice the difference. Never ask a question. When I had headers installed she notice it...lol
My wife will notice right away I know it...the custom looks good just need a bit more insight in it.
Old 08-29-13, 09:56 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Joe Z will not drone as much as you're thinking it will. You will sense more vibrations than stock of course but it won't be a problem once you're at cruising speed. You'll be surprised at the dual nature of just a Joe Z exhaust. Once you add headers then it is a different story.
Old 08-29-13, 09:59 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Joez all the way
Old 08-29-13, 10:11 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Decisions decisions....
Old 08-29-13, 10:35 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut off mufflers and get straight pipes welded. Will give it a slightly louder growl, not much drone, and you will still hear the 4k growl. It won't cost more than $100. I got my secondary cats removed as well as no mufflers and the car sounds great IMO. But it may be too loud for your needs. My setup drones only at 2k RPM but I'm used to it.
Old 08-29-13, 10:42 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Cut off mufflers and get straight pipes welded. Will give it a slightly louder growl, not much drone, and you will still hear the 4k growl. It won't cost more than $100. I got my secondary cats removed as well as no mufflers and the car sounds great IMO. But it may be too loud for your needs. My setup drones only at 2k RPM but I'm used to it.
Did that the first week I had the F. Had to put the mufflers back on the next day I hated the sound
Old 08-29-13, 11:34 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put my car back to stock exhaust today cause I am trading it in for newer F on Monday, god no Joe Z sound for the weekend is gonna suck, that sound is my crack rock. My opinion is that if ur going Borla without headers u might as well just keep it stock, to me Borla is not worth spending $1000 to barely be louder than stock. Here is what u do, get the Joe Z and tell ur wife it takes a couple months to quiet down cause it has to self regulate it's resonator inner shaft lining module. Of course this is a load of crap but by the time the 2 months go by she will be used to it. Always remember my TLSAM motto, Tiny Lies Save A Marraige
Old 08-29-13, 11:37 AM
DJaime12F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
I know this question might sound like beating a dead horse but I just need answers and opinions before I jump the gun on a aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking to get an exhaust for my ISF my problem is the following:

1.Im not looking forward to the inside drone while driving (I take long trips w the fam).
2.Don't want to loose the beautiful sound the engine makes @ 4k
3.Just want to enhance the sound a bit.
4. Not looking for a loud exhaust that everyone can hear 3 blocks down.
5. Custom exhaust? Borla?
To those who have had plenty of exhaust, what is the best option to achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks for looking
I think I was in the same situation you are in, the drone was my #1 concern. If you have the Funds id go with the HKS with a Custom midpipe just finished mine up 2 weeks ago and its awesome, NO drone at all
Old 08-29-13, 11:40 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my exhaust done my welder guy brought the car down from the lift after chopping the mufflers... I didn't like the sound either... so I told him to go ahead and chop the 2nd cats and it sounded amazing. Then again it's something you'd have to hear in person before deciding. You should msg RCM83, I think he's in MD and has the same setup as me.

This video I took might help.

Quick Reply: Need Honest opinions about exhaust