IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time to move on

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 07:57 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Time to move on

My 20+k miles with the F have been fun, but priorities change and I feel like it's time to move on to something a bit bigger, more relaxing on longer drives, and maybe a little more safe.

The forum has definitely been very informative and I'll still be as much of a lurker after I sell the car as I was before. Thank you to everyone and gl.
Old 09-28-13, 10:46 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ISF is a road trip car....dang.

What's next? Porsche Panamera?
Old 09-29-13, 10:58 AM
Tang98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
The ISF is a road trip car....dang.

What's next? Porsche Panamera?
Well he said more safe so I'm guessing a Mercedes.
Old 09-29-13, 11:27 AM
kdm
Pole Position

More safe?
Old 09-29-13, 04:05 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Enjoy your volvo!
Old 09-29-13, 04:44 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

GS350? Best of both worlds.
Old 09-30-13, 06:32 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Lol, I could turn this into a guessing game. To tell you guys the truth I am still not 100% settled on what will come next. The Panamera would be an absolute joy to drive, but I don't think we can justify such an expense at the moment. The Benz would be ok, but the potential for repairs scares me away from those cars. The same can probably be said for the bimmers. Volvo...no thanks. Had a 1997 850 and the F replaced that hooptie. While driving it did feel like you were behind the wheel of a bullet proof fridge, the reliability and the fit/finish overall left me wishing for more. The GS350 is not a bad car, but having had the new one as a loaner a few times, I didn't feel like there was that big of a jump from the IS line. It's definitely bigger, more comfortable, probably safer. But it just failed to impress me.

The one car that really did catch my attention was the LS especially with the air suspension. Plenty of luxury, great camling ride for cruising on the expressway, quiet, tons of space, probably more reliable than the 7-series or the S-class. And when I drove it, it really wowed me in a way that the GS couldn't. So more than likely, I will end up with an 09 AWD version once the F goes.
Old 09-30-13, 07:46 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I really, really like the way the LS460 looks. I've never driven one though.

Bottom line, it doesn't fit within vbb's acceptable reasons to get rid of your ISF.
1. Financial reasons
2. To upgrade to a Porsche of some sort (or I suppose maybe a GTR would be okay too, though not for me)
3. To buy a newer ISF (or RCF or GSF)

So, I'm going to have to thumbs down this move.

Seriously though, the LS460 is a very nice car. I can't knock that decision too much, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-30-13, 09:15 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^Kevin your acceptable reasons to get rid of the ISF should be a sticky on the forums..........LOL
Old 09-30-13, 09:25 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Lol, I could turn this into a guessing game. To tell you guys the truth I am still not 100% settled on what will come next. The Panamera would be an absolute joy to drive, but I don't think we can justify such an expense at the moment. The Benz would be ok, but the potential for repairs scares me away from those cars. The same can probably be said for the bimmers. Volvo...no thanks. Had a 1997 850 and the F replaced that hooptie. While driving it did feel like you were behind the wheel of a bullet proof fridge, the reliability and the fit/finish overall left me wishing for more. The GS350 is not a bad car, but having had the new one as a loaner a few times, I didn't feel like there was that big of a jump from the IS line. It's definitely bigger, more comfortable, probably safer. But it just failed to impress me.

The one car that really did catch my attention was the LS especially with the air suspension. Plenty of luxury, great camling ride for cruising on the expressway, quiet, tons of space, probably more reliable than the 7-series or the S-class. And when I drove it, it really wowed me in a way that the GS couldn't. So more than likely, I will end up with an 09 AWD version once the F goes.
haha... now that's what i'm talking about. LS all day, i moved over from the GS and i am very happy, content and absolutely love my LS. the air suspension ( in the 13 ) to me is still a bit too floaty. so i opted for the coil springs, it's a bit firmer but still comfy as hell. i like road feel and i test drove the LS F Sport and the AWD Reg.... IMO the F Sport was quieter than the non F, prob due to the air suspension, i don't mind a little noise. post pics of the LS when you get it.
Old 09-30-13, 10:57 AM
Endgame
Driver

I might get flamed for this, but what about a Tesla S?
Old 09-30-13, 11:21 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I was going to get the LS460 as a family car. As I didnt get a go to get a GTR just because its 2 door. I just dont feel like driving an LS. I never seen anyone on my age group driving an LS. So I just got the ISF.
Old 09-30-13, 11:39 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Endgame
I might get flamed for this, but what about a Tesla S?
When OP brought up safety, that was the first car that came to mind, however I think it is beyond impractical, especially when you want to go on road trips. I read an article about a guy who took his family on a 3200mi road trip, but needed to spend a total of 9 hours charging the car throughout the trip. The crash tests are amazing though. The only thing that crumbles is the hood (and airbags of course), everything else is pretty much intact.
Old 09-30-13, 12:10 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

vbb: If you get a chance, I would definitely recommend going for a drive. It's a completely different animal when compared to the F, but a good different. Also, we are looking at upgrading from our condo in the near future, so technically reason 1 still applies .

sydtoosic: Given that my 30-mile drive to work consists of of about 27 miles of pretty much straight expressway driving, I am looking at getting into something that insulates me from the outside world as much as possible. Hence the desire for an air suspension.

Endgame: I both like and dislike the car. It's certainly a good looking car and the idea of not paying for gas would be great. But on the flip side, I can't stand that iPad looking center console and the price is way up there. That coupled with the fact that we live in a highrise and I doubt that the building would be too happy about me juicing up the car from their outlets makes this car a non-contender.

FD3SISF: For me it's one thing to be 30 and drive a riced-out Civic, and it's another to be 30 and drive an LS. So it seems like a good fit for me.