IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Let's talk resale value of the 08/09's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 03:00 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be "that guy" who has $35k car but lives with his parents. Ur young and have plenty of time to get an F or wherever other car u want. When I was in my 20s and started making decent money I was gonna finance an NSX with an ungodly payment cause I technically could afford it. I'm glad my older sisters talked me out of it and I bought a cheap 240SX for cash and saved my car payment money each month. Damn glad I did cause that one move enabled me to save for my first house which got me on the way to having house I have now and car that I always wanted without payments. Listen to some of us older guys who have been where u are, we aren't trying to put u down, just fellow car guys looking out for u.
Old 10-08-13, 03:10 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
Not always entirely true. The car isn't sought after all that highly. Sometimes a dealership may have put a fair amount into the car (trade-in) in order to make a deal on something in their stock.

Sometimes the plan is to make $1000 over, but at least break even. Just have to find the right car, at the right price, in the right situation where a dealer needs to move it and profit isn't motive.
ive been in car sales at a major dealership for a few years. i was moved from new cars to finally the used section. we would sell these trade ins or cars from auctions that we get. the highest profit ive seen working there from a used car is 8k, the lowest being 200 dollars. There are a lot of factors but unless the car has been sitting on the lot for awhile with no interest, it's pretty hard to haggle, especially a lexus. lexus in the dealership world is prob one of the best cars to sell used. we would sell to joe shmoe for 100 bucks more just to make profit , so unless you have no other person wanting the ISF at the right moment, it will be hard, but not impossible.
Old 10-08-13, 03:37 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Yes, a majority of us buy lower mileage and from a dealership because we are financially stable and we like the peace of mind. Yes, what you are aiming to buy is definitely less desirable in our eyes because a 25K price tag is a definite flag. The low price might indicate a salvage title, hidden issues/repairs, multiple owners, etc.
If you came in here and mentioned a higher purchase price ( now you are up to 30K ), then you would not be " mistreated".
I think you are taking things I say personally, and saying things back to me that are personal. I think you should lighten up.

Never did I bump what I was willing or able to pay for the car. I can buy the $40k CPO car; I'm choosing not to because I trust the reliability of the car and I have resources for maintenance, repairs, and parts for the vehicle. I may or may not by an aftermarket warranty, I haven't made my mind up.

I'm willing to pay low $30k's for the right car. The story of this thread is that I expect a decrease in value on the early cars and wanted to open up discussion on that theory. You are under the impression I can't afford an F if it's over $25k and I'm not sure where you grasped that idea.

You don't know me, anything about my finances, or income. So I would appreciate it if you would stop using wordage such as "We are financially stable" ..... or that I would not be mistreated if I was willing to pay realistic numbers for the car.
Old 10-08-13, 03:41 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ive been in car sales at a major dealership for a few years. i was moved from new cars to finally the used section. we would sell these trade ins or cars from auctions that we get. the highest profit ive seen working there from a used car is 8k, the lowest being 200 dollars. There are a lot of factors but unless the car has been sitting on the lot for awhile with no interest, it's pretty hard to haggle, especially a lexus. lexus in the dealership world is prob one of the best cars to sell used. we would sell to joe shmoe for 100 bucks more just to make profit , so unless you have no other person wanting the ISF at the right moment, it will be hard, but not impossible.
I'm in the car business. Different dealers handle trades different ways.

A used Lexus is very desirable at my dealership and usually makes us a great front end profit.

However, an IS-F is not highly sought after and will not be feasible for 95% of the buyers that step on your lot. That's why it's considered a special interest car. Special interest cars don't sell well new and are even harder to sell used. Just my two cents.
Old 10-08-13, 04:02 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

^^true that!
Mine was $56k but after 2 months, I got it it for $48k. ISF is not only special but also rare. Most people don't know about so be hard to sell since the audience for the car is small but you can also say that since there are not too many of them, caused the price to go up. I think $25k is hard to find (not impossible), so you might have to give up other things (color, mileage ect....). Hard to say how much it will depreciate within months or years. If the price is reasonable, get on it and enjoy the ride! It is an amazing car. I love it! Why argue about something that we can only predict?
Old 10-08-13, 04:32 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo300
I'm in the car business. Different dealers handle trades different ways.

A used Lexus is very desirable at my dealership and usually makes us a great front end profit.

However, an IS-F is not highly sought after and will not be feasible for 95% of the buyers that step on your lot. That's why it's considered a special interest car. Special interest cars don't sell well new and are even harder to sell used. Just my two cents.
specialty of course, that's an obvious.

ok let me ask you this since you are in the car business. When does a dealership sell a clean car fax vehicle and price it under value for the public? when and why would a dealership sell it under cost of the going rate of competitors ISF in the same year and mileage?

if you are in the car business, you would know very well that dealerships will hold on to a car if there is a gap of 3-5k of the going rate of these cars and what you want to pay. There would be no rush for a dealer to sell. an 08 with 80k miles and under are selling for 30K with a clean car fax. Any good used lot manager knows, you wouldn't price an ISF like that for 25k unless they got that car for 20k
Old 10-08-13, 05:37 PM
UCFdude
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TranV
^^true that!
Mine was $56k but after 2 months, I got it it for $48k. ISF is not only special but also rare. Most people don't know about so be hard to sell since the audience for the car is small but you can also say that since there are not too many of them, caused the price to go up. I think $25k is hard to find (not impossible), so you might have to give up other things (color, mileage ect....). Hard to say how much it will depreciate within months or years. If the price is reasonable, get on it and enjoy the ride! It is an amazing car. I love it! Why argue about something that we can only predict?
Old 10-08-13, 05:49 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Almost 2 years ago (this Jan) I paid $38k for an 08 ISF with 40k miles on it. In So Cal this was a steal IMO. I'm still seeing that same price today which makes me feel good. As part of the deal I even got the dealer to remove all of the mods on the trade-in for free and give them back to me which would easily be $1k in labor at a shop.
Old 10-08-13, 05:53 PM
UCFdude
Driver

Originally Posted by anxiouz
Almost 2 years ago (this Jan) I paid $38k for an 08 ISF with 40k miles on it. In So Cal this was a steal IMO. I'm still seeing that same price today which makes me feel good. As part of the deal I even got the dealer to remove all of the mods on the trade-in for free and give them back to me which would easily be $1k in labor at a shop.
All the deals are from Cali haha
Old 10-08-13, 06:22 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
specialty of course, that's an obvious.

ok let me ask you this since you are in the car business. When does a dealership sell a clean car fax vehicle and price it under value for the public? when and why would a dealership sell it under cost of the going rate of competitors ISF in the same year and mileage?

if you are in the car business, you would know very well that dealerships will hold on to a car if there is a gap of 3-5k of the going rate of these cars and what you want to pay. There would be no rush for a dealer to sell. an 08 with 80k miles and under are selling for 30K with a clean car fax. Any good used lot manager knows, you wouldn't price an ISF like that for 25k unless they got that car for 20k
My point is that sometimes you make a deal happen and don't expect a lot of front end on the resale of the trade. You price it lower than retail and our willing to take less profit to make it go away. It happens sometimes, but it's very hard to make a profit on a used luxury vehicle unless you acquire it for substantially lower than wholesale or you buy it rough, recondition it, and list it for clean retail. The whole point of this thread is to discuss where these cars will be in value in a few months with some market variables weighing in. I foresee a drop in value of the 08/09's because dealers are having a hard time moving the unit. That directly affects what the car is bringing at the auctions in a few months, which makes the ACTUAL sale prices fall considerably. Just my two cents.... But like I said, this thread was designed to obtain opinions on the matter.

Christian
Old 10-08-13, 06:35 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Chris,
I found an '09 with 27K miles one owner in T-town. I'm waiting on pic from the dealer. I'm going to look it at on Friday. They want $39K, while i know market is around $36-$37.. Probably less since it not a Hot seller in Alabama. I'm going to see what happens cuz its at a BMW dealer so I want to see if i can get for less because they can't Certified the car since they are not Lexus dealer.. We shall see..
Old 10-08-13, 07:08 PM
UCFdude
Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Hey Chris,
I found an '09 with 27K miles one owner in T-town. I'm waiting on pic from the dealer. I'm going to look it at on Friday. They want $39K, while i know market is around $36-$37.. Probably less since it not a Hot seller in Alabama. I'm going to see what happens cuz its at a BMW dealer so I want to see if i can get for less because they can't Certified the car since they are not Lexus dealer.. We shall see..
This?

It's a one owner. Doesnt have pics yet but sound pretty clean. Just wondering how do you know the market for these cars are around 36-37k? Thank
Old 10-08-13, 07:15 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
FWIW a couple weeks ago I got my 08 with 55k miles, clean carfax, s4play rear diffuser, new 20" InCurve IC-s5 rims and new 245/35/20 front 285/30/20zr falken summer tires CPO from a Toyota dealership where they were asking $42,500. I paid $35k and got a 4yr/48000 comprehensive warranty. Before haggling, I took it to my (indie) mechanic I was bringing my old 96 LS400 to for the past 5 years, he did a PPI for me for free, and confirmed I can now bring the IS-F to him if needs be and still be covered under the warranty.

So the market price has certainly remained essentially stagnant for at least the past 2 years.

To the OP - it sounds to me like you not only have your priorities in order, but you have a clear image of your plan. At any age, this is somewhat rare. Trust me, I manage peoples' finances and this is the most difficult aspect. IMO keep plugging away at your goals and before you know it you will not only find the IS-F you are seeking, you will be rewarded for your patience, research and diligence by scoring the deal you want with the exterior/interior/mods/etc. you desire.

Da intaweb will defintely be a huge asset during the next year or so while you're tracking prices/trends. The days of local newspaper classifieds and the Recycler/PhotoAd are long gone.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-13, 07:38 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UCFdude
This?

It's a one owner. Doesnt have pics yet but sound pretty clean. Just wondering how do you know the market for these cars are around 36-37k? Thank
Well, I use to be in the car business too (Car buyer for dealerships) and i've been watching the prices for awhile on this car for what they sell for at auctions what they sell at dealers when they get them, State-to-state pricing differs ofcourse. In Alabama, this car is Cold. OP knows a guy that had an '09, he is manager of Cadillac dealership and put his ISF on the lot, Market is COLD, I think I was the only one to come look it at in the months it sat in Alabama. Anyways, Have you ever heard of "True market Value" Alot of pricing that I do is based on this pricing variable, its often alot lower than what NADA, or KBB, but its usually right on the money. Its pretty accurate cuz ever wonder why you see a price on KBB and when you get to the dealer and found the price they have is way under, its not that they are low-balling you, its market value on your trade based on Region and what happening on the out there, is it selling or not, and other factors. Going with True Market is pretty fair cuz it lets the dealer make their little cut but not right out take out for all that you've got, I bought alot of cars and negotiated all the way down to true market and I was never turned away. Knowing this helps, I hate to say this but most of you guys overpay on your cars and don't even realize it. I also buy new cars based on this principle too. (Its the truth).. Any Veteran car buyer can attest to this..
Old 10-08-13, 07:55 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Well, I use to be in the car business too (Car buyer for dealerships) and i've been watching the prices for awhile on this car for what they sell for at auctions what they sell at dealers when they get them, State-to-state pricing differs ofcourse. In Alabama, this car is Cold. OP knows a guy that had an '09, he is manager of Cadillac dealership and put his ISF on the lot, Market is COLD, I think I was the only one to come look it at in the months it sat in Alabama. Anyways, Have you ever heard of "True market Value" Alot of pricing that I do is based on this pricing variable, its often alot lower than what NADA, or KBB, but its usually right on the money. Its pretty accurate cuz ever wonder why you see a price on KBB and when you get to the dealer and found the price they have is way under, its not that they are low-balling you, its market value on your trade based on Region and what happening on the out there, is it selling or not, and other factors. Going with True Market is pretty fair cuz it lets the dealer make their little cut but not right out take out for all that you've got, I bought alot of cars and negotiated all the way down to true market and I was never turned away. Knowing this helps, I hate to say this but most of you guys overpay on your cars and don't even realize it. I also buy new cars based on this principle too. (Its the truth).. Any Veteran car buyer can attest to this..
Wow, are you saying that we F owners have all been had and do not realize it? And with your experience and smarts in car buying, you are better than us? Just buy your F and shut up. Post pics and we will welcome you with open arms. In the meantime...

Quick Reply: Let's talk resale value of the 08/09's.