IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Trade 08 F for 2010 cts-v

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 10:36 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Z06's... dime a dozen. Vipers are not only rare, resale value is amazing. You're also working with 600hp... with a few simple mods and you're doing 0-60 in 3 secs or less. The ACR version is also #5 overall and faster than the LFA and GTR on the Nurburgring so it can handle well too. Guess it depends what's your into. I'm willing to spend a little extra to get the exclusivity, ridiculous torque and V10 from the stock powerplant... requires excellent driving skills that I'd be willing to learn if I had one. Also one of the best looking cars ever IMO

Last edited by VtotheJ; 10-11-13 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 06:18 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Z06's... dime a dozen. Vipers are not only rare, resale value is amazing. You're also working with 600hp... with a few simple mods and you're doing 0-60 in 3 secs or less. The ACR version is also #5 overall and faster than the LFA and GTR on the Nurburgring so it can handle well too. Guess it depends what's your into. I'm willing to spend a little extra to get the exclusivity, ridiculous torque and V10 from the stock powerplant... requires excellent driving skills that I'd be willing to learn if I had one. Also one of the best looking cars ever IMO
then a ZR1 for me... im just not a viper guy
Old 10-12-13, 11:02 AM
rapsquared
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the trade a few months ago. It was worth it for the manual transmission alone! Then the extra power and option to mod. I've only done light mods, but I feel I won't outgrow it like I did the f.
Old 10-12-13, 05:56 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Viper is really a scary car to drive fast. I've seen one at the dragstrip do a complete spin just shifting from 1-2 and he was shaking and literally couldn't drive it anymore that day.

The CTS-V is more of a lateral shift and not really an upgrade. It's a big heavy car. Do yourself a favor and keep the F for a couple of more years and get a 997.2 TT with the sports chrono and PDK. I just ran a stock baseline run at the local strip at 10.75@129.1. I ran a 2013 GT-R with the 545 hp three times that day and he was running 11.0-11.1@122-123. There was an alpha 9 GT-R but it was broken. There is something to be said about running a car stock and doing 0-60 in under three seconds. I don't feel the need for more power until third gear (70+ MPH) that's when a Mclaren MP4-12C starts to catch up and gain ground (it loses in the 0-60 due to traction). That's about the only car I might fear stock vs. stock. I don't run into too many Veyrons around here.

Also, the ZR-1 and Viper won't be seen driving in snow. The Cadillac will be ok in snow with snow tires. I actually DD my 911 and with snow tires and AWD, can't be stopped! Get a 997.2 TT! If you like to mod and upgrade turbos and stuff, get a 997.1 TT - they make an alpha 9 package for it now.
Old 10-12-13, 07:23 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It'll be hard for a Viper to hit 60 in under 3 seconds with a regular driver even if it's modded. I'm not sure why but Vipers can't put all their power to the ground efficiently. They do look good on paper though.
Old 10-13-13, 08:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are right regarding the 2008-2010Viper. Every video I've seen, they spin A LOT. The new SRT Viper, however comes with full Traction Control. Forget driving in snow, then again even if my nice car was AWD I still wouldn't drive in snow and expose it to such conditions especially the salt, ToothDoc has some cojones to do that with his 997TT. 600hp / 560tq with no traction control is probably why they can't put power to the ground. I really need to test drive one before considering one. I'll probably just end up waiting a few more years until used SRT Vipers hit the market.
Old 10-13-13, 12:10 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
then a ZR1 for me... im just not a viper guy
+1

Zr1 can be had for 74k with under 10k miles now. crazy price
Old 10-13-13, 12:54 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want raw power then get a V. Running 10's is easily doable, they are total monsters. Speed wise they are on a whole different level than our cars and I have no shame in saying that.
Old 10-14-13, 04:39 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

This thread got me started looking locally at CTS-V's again. But although there are some deals, I found that I just love the ISF too much overall. The hp is nice but the ISF is such a great overall package. If I was looking for a track car, I'd be looking at some of the other cars mentioned above for sure. The CTS-V wouldn't be in the running given the weight, letalone reliability.
Old 10-14-13, 05:12 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by anxiouz
This thread got me started looking locally at CTS-V's again. But although there are some deals, I found that I just love the ISF too much overall. The hp is nice but the ISF is such a great overall package. If I was looking for a track car, I'd be looking at some of the other cars mentioned above for sure. The CTS-V wouldn't be in the running given the weight, letalone reliability.
The LSx motors and the 4L65 variant trans are pretty damn reliable....
Old 10-14-13, 08:01 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Perhaps, but go browse the CTS-V forums and they sure seem to have a helluva lot of issues...

What do people complain about here? Water pump, nav, and ... ?

No comparison.
Old 10-15-13, 09:23 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

CTS-V is plain ugly im sorry...maybe the 4 door but even then I'm not feeling the design at all. Sure it may be functional design but still...get a porsche, viper, or corvette like others have said.
Old 10-15-13, 12:18 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would hold out for what you really want. it will make it even more special; when you get it!
Old 10-24-13, 06:58 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i can be somewhat subjective here as we have one of each in the house. we love both cars and my brother and I always enjoy driving each others whip.
first off...i dont consider these two cars in the same class. Not talking about which is classier. The CTS was meant to compete with the 5 series, and Eclass where as the ISF was meant to compete with the compact sports sedan such as the 3 series and C class.
having said that..

CTSV (mine)
Pros:
Gobs of power, especially up top; the car just wants to keep going and going.
reliable, LSx engines have proven worthy
strong transmission, many run 650 whp without transmission issues.
magnetic shock absorbers
Recaro seats are the bizznizz
roomier than the F

Cons:
Thirsty, this thing drinks gas
Cheap headliner for a caddy
Transmission shifts are noticeably slower than the F
heavy, 4200 lbs

ISF
Pros:
Its a lexus, reliable
responsive 8sp transmission is nice for MPG and shifts fast for an auto
shockingly fast when you do I/H/E (still not as fast as the ctsv, lol)

Cons:
416hp < 556hp
no one can crack the ECU for tuning AFAIK
lack of electronic suspension adjustment means stiff ride all the time
almost 10quarts of oil, LMAO, how????

Theres not a whole lot to hate on these cars. We love our cars and dont regret it one bit. My brother and I agree that these two cars will hold us over until our next cars......997.1tt 6sp for me and 997.2tt PDK for my brother. cant wait til that happens....until then, the V and the F will have to do.

Looks are subjective and i love both..but the ctsv just looks super mean with the front bumper and the wide fender flares.

Last edited by bluerex; 10-24-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 02:56 AM
Swaggy_T
Driver School Candidate

How about this

Sickkkkkkkk

Quick Reply: Trade 08 F for 2010 cts-v