IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New isf pulling to the right?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 06:32 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2012 with 8200 miles, the dealer swapped the front tires and did alignment... my car still pulls to the right - will not do anything further about it. I have made serval emails to corporate, no replies back yet.
Old 01-13-14, 06:38 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call corporate... Keep calling until you get it fixed.
Old 01-13-14, 08:08 PM
garroids
Rookie

Did you have it fixed yet?
Old 01-13-14, 08:09 PM
garroids
Rookie

Your new ISF shouldn't have any problems yet, maybe production's fault
Old 01-13-14, 08:11 PM
garroids
Rookie

Do you have any pictures, would love to see a new ISF
Old 01-13-14, 10:18 PM
toky916
Pole Position

They seem to be all off just the way the car is set up I tried fixing it got better but slight pull I'm just tired of all the hassle !
Old 01-13-14, 10:23 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Update: took the ISF in to get it aligned and have the right pull fixed, but issue remains even after the installation of a caster bushing (48076-53020).
It still pulls to the right just like before, no change.

Attached is the alignment sheet AFTER the install of the bushing and the invoice detailing the work.

Service manager states next step is to contact the field service tech and have them come out and troubleshoot the issue.

Is the alignment incorrect? Thanks for anyones input....
Yep got all the same work done on my 2012 seems like there has to be DYI fix maybe getting our own alignment. I read the thread but never understood what was the best set up .
Old 01-15-14, 09:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Why is the thrust angle still not zero? So the subframes are equidistant on both sides (same wheelbase left to right), but there is still a non-zero thrust angle? How certain are they the rear subframe is square with the centerline of the car?

When I worked on mini-sprints, the first thing we did was square the axles with the chassis centerline, starting with the rear, because it was the only way to be sure the rest of the alignment was good. If the rear subframe isn't actually square and they've just used the toe adjustments to make it look square, the car will always pull. The most accurate way to check this is with a chassis tool body shops use to straighten bent cars.

There is no reason to call it a design flaw when there are cars (like mine) which have never exhibited this behavior.

You also can only be sure your car has never been in an accident while you've owned it. You really don't know what might have happened to the car between the factory and when it was delivered to you at the dealership.
Old 01-23-14, 01:41 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Update: so Lexus Corporate told me to take the car back to the dealer that did the alignment and installed the 1 caster bushing 2 months ago. The "shop foreman" test drove it and said the "drift" to the right was normal. Nothing was done.

I am at my wits end as the "drift" to the right requires constant correction/countering. What are the best settings for alignment? Can someone post their alignment specs that make the car at least track straight for more than 5 seconds?

My current alignment specs are in post #40:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8247368-post40.html

Thanks for anyone's input.

Originally Posted by toky916
Yep got all the same work done on my 2012 seems like there has to be DYI fix maybe getting our own alignment. I read the thread but never understood what was the best set up .
Old 01-23-14, 02:17 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

I have a buddy if mine that works for Chevrolet in the engineering department that I went to school with and he said the Lexus is f ...specifically the 2012 has a weight distribution problem.

He explained that on the right side if the car there is 2 components. 1 is for the electrical system and one is a mounting bracket. He said the right side us off measured calculated weight by about 5.5 lbs.
Old 01-23-14, 03:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

The F has always had a weight distribution problem. Mine does for sure, but it drives straight pretty much indefinitely. I tested it two days ago and went 10 seconds with hands off and it just went straight. No veer in either direction.

So there's something wrong with the chassis on the affected cars. I really think the subframes are not square with the centerline of the chassis. As much as I'd like to say an alignment rack should be able to check this, I am skeptical it can do it because there is no measurement of the chassis, only the wheels. An EZ Liner would be able to tell you for sure if the axles/subframes are square with the centerline of the chassis for sure. There are string methods also, but I really have my doubts about the axles/subframes being correctly positioned in the cars with the issues.

Weight imbalance won't make the car veer this dramatically.
Old 01-23-14, 03:17 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

I am only repeating what he said. I design software for a living and know very little about cars.
Old 01-23-14, 07:22 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Thank you luboxracer, for all your insight and suggestions. I have made appointments to a local independent alignment shop and a collision repair shop for "diagnosis." I will be posting my updates later.

It is absolutely unbelievable when Lexus Corp, as well as the Dealerships, state that the pull is normal. And I am left to resolve the issue on my own.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The F has always had a weight distribution problem. Mine does for sure, but it drives straight pretty much indefinitely. I tested it two days ago and went 10 seconds with hands off and it just went straight. No veer in either direction.

So there's something wrong with the chassis on the affected cars. I really think the subframes are not square with the centerline of the chassis. As much as I'd like to say an alignment rack should be able to check this, I am skeptical it can do it because there is no measurement of the chassis, only the wheels. An EZ Liner would be able to tell you for sure if the axles/subframes are square with the centerline of the chassis for sure. There are string methods also, but I really have my doubts about the axles/subframes being correctly positioned in the cars with the issues.

Weight imbalance won't make the car veer this dramatically.
Old 01-27-14, 03:38 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Update from post #40:

Took it to another independent shop that was willing to work with my right pull issue as the dealership(s) and Lexus Corp are of absolutely no help.

Attached is the most current alignment and it still pulls to the right. A little better than before, but still noticeable. Thrust angle is 0 and rear toe has been balanced.

Going forward, the shop will check if the "caster bushings" will alleviate the right pull issue. The dealer installed caster bushing "48076-53020 (driver side, +20)" and made the right pull slightly worse, and the front caster is also not "even." Just checking with anyone here which caster bushing to order or if that will help at all with the right pull. I'll have to purchase the offset caster bushings out of pocket....

Thanks

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd like to see rear toe equally balanced. That's the only thing I see that's slightly less than perfect.

I'd suspect the tires at this point, but they are following the factory recommended troubleshooting tree to the letter.
Attached Thumbnails New isf pulling to the right?!-img_6949.jpg  

Last edited by itsmike177; 01-27-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 11:53 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Update from post above:

Issue has been resolved. Went with 1 offset (passenger side) and 1 centered (drivers side) bushings from FIGS. Mike from FIGS is really accommodating, he allowed me to purchase 2 sets of bushings, figure out which ones I required, and return the 2 unused ones. Absolutely top notch service.

So the resolution was the bushings + alignment. luboxracer is right, you definitely need to find a tech who knows alignments, and is able to acknowledge and notice the problem. The car tracks straight now, unless the road is crowned, and even then, it does not require much force on the steering wheel to maintain going straight. The vehicle also feels a lot more planted at all speeds and cornering.

The independent shop that did the alignment and bushings stated that the dealer did not install offset caster bushing 48076-53020 on the drivers side, despite the invoice stating so. In addition, the Lexus dealership set the alignment really off which made the right pull even worse. Lexus dealer shop foreman drove the car, noticed the issue, and stated "normal." If a car can make a 2 lane lanechange within 7 seconds of letting go of the steering wheel, that is not normal....

Lessons learned and for those having this issue:

- Dealership service techs are not good. 3/3 Lexus dealerships attempted to align it and could not fix the right pull. Shop foreman at the last one stated the right pull was normal. Offset bushing was stated to be installed, but it was not.
- Lexus Corporate is of no help, so don't bother filing a complaint, or calling to get your issue resolved. They just contact the dealership to have you bring your car in again. You can file your complaints against the dealership, but they will go unheard.
- Some people are "sensitive" drivers. Or **** drivers if you prefer. The independent shop that resolved my issue does alignments/suspensions for track cars, so they are equally "sensitive" and at least acknowledged the problem. All the dealership techs/foreman noticed the right pull and said "normal." Ridiculous....
- It is odd how the ISF, at least mine, requires an offset bushing to get caster equalized on both sides. Is the frame or suspension twisted/not centered from the factory? I did not take it to a frame shop to get it analyzed.
- Be prepared to pay out of pocket to get this fixed....my expense was $200 for the FIGS bushings + $400 for the bushings install + 4 alignments to tweak the alignment.

So after 2 years, issue is finally resolved. It is just ridiculous that Toyota/Lexus has gotten so large, that issues are just dismissed as "normal" and "work performed" is still fabricated on the invoice.

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Update from post #40:

Took it to another independent shop that was willing to work with my right pull issue as the dealership(s) and Lexus Corp are of absolutely no help.

Attached is the most current alignment and it still pulls to the right. A little better than before, but still noticeable. Thrust angle is 0 and rear toe has been balanced.

Going forward, the shop will check if the "caster bushings" will alleviate the right pull issue. The dealer installed caster bushing "48076-53020 (driver side, +20)" and made the right pull slightly worse, and the front caster is also not "even." Just checking with anyone here which caster bushing to order or if that will help at all with the right pull. I'll have to purchase the offset caster bushings out of pocket....

Thanks

Last edited by itsmike177; 02-14-14 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: New isf pulling to the right?!