IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

All season or summer/snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 04:34 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All season or summer/snow tires?

At the moment I run the original summer tires, switching to the great Tirerack snow tires and wheels package that was put together for the F. I'll soon have to buy a new set of summer tires and wonder if all season tires would compromise my cornering. God knows the snow tires don't corner well. Changing four wheels twice a year is a pain (have to do it in the driveway with the Lexus jack) but I'd prefer that to losing the grip I get from the summer tires.
Old 10-24-13, 05:32 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
At the moment I run the original summer tires, switching to the great Tirerack snow tires and wheels package that was put together for the F. I'll soon have to buy a new set of summer tires and wonder if all season tires would compromise my cornering. God knows the snow tires don't corner well. Changing four wheels twice a year is a pain (have to do it in the driveway with the Lexus jack) but I'd prefer that to losing the grip I get from the summer tires.
If you have the space for it, go with the dedicated wheels and tires. In the snow, I wouldn't compromise on traction, especially since the car can otherwise handle it well. And if you're already running snow tires, summers would just make sense, all other things being equal.

Changing four wheels can be a pain, but perhaps consider buying a hydraulic jack to speed things up. As you've said, it's worth the time/effort.
Old 10-24-13, 06:20 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will don't you have a Fit as a DD? On the F, Just stick with summer tires all year round and be careful out there... not sure if your car sits all winter or not, mine certainly doesn't. I'll take it out no matter what time of year it is, as long as roads are dry. I currently have all-seasons (Conti DWS), they do not corner as well as summer tires obviously but are excellent set of tires. Jack of all trades if you will. My next set though will be summer tires since I do have a DD to get me through the rough conditions. IMO there's no point of having 2 sets of tires (summer/winter) if you have a daily driver.
Old 10-24-13, 06:44 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

I daily drive with two sets of wheels and tires..I swap them out at the first snow.
Old 10-25-13, 03:58 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'll continue with two sets. True, the Fit would work for the worst snow