IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15 | 11:42 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

love the pics, anyone know where the fender lights on that black is-f came from? those look great at night
Old 09-15-15 | 01:51 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nks979
love the pics, anyone know where the fender lights on that black is-f came from? those look great at night
If you're referring to a few posts ago with my friend's SGM IS F, I would PM Quarius. He custom installed it to come on and off with a standalone module. I agree - it does look pretty bad *** and adds a nice one-off mod to his great F.
Old 09-15-15 | 02:37 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Yup, was just curious if it was a custom job or not
Old 10-14-15 | 08:45 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

The work grind leaves little time to meet with vendors and chat about upcoming products. When Beat Sonic USA posted up its Stereo Replacement Kit, I knew this was something I'd like to take part in. Luckily, they did need an IS F with OEM Navigation and Mark Levinson as one of their testers, and after PMing my contact Eric K., we set aside time this week (thank you Columbus Day) to have the testing done and get the right measurements and adapters in place. It is worth noting that you lose the lower unit of the stereo; the area that houses the CD changers and buttons for radio, SAT, and AUX (for the MY 2008/09). But those functions are still 100% effective through the steering wheel control buttons. I am only doing this because I've always wanted something more integrated and a bit more technologically advanced without needing to gut or bypass the A/V functions and wires. To have two separate screens will be useful, especially as I drive with passengers that want to watch a movie or do certain tasks with their Android or Apple product. Also, the navigation and DVD playback are highly enriched in the double din I have chosen. This certainly isn't for everyone's liking, nor is it necessary to many. But as I've seen and read on the forums and have been inquired about when a product like this would come around, I do feel this will be a beneficial product. Builders have fabricated a housing for their double din, and this Stereo Replacement Kit will make the install process less tiresome and give it a nice OEM+ look. Without further ado...

Beat Sonic and its engineer leave zero chance, and I applaud them for being so cautious and careful of products that would otherwise scratch way too easily when in contact with tools.

Lots of correspondences with Japan to make sure nothing needs to be altered. This will be completely reversible should anyone not like it or wish to remove prior to selling their vehicle.

Without a doubt, I've been a longtime supporter of Beat Sonic, and while they don't offer many products for the Lexus lineup, their customer service and interest in customers' needs are what make them a great vendor here on the forum.

Working on the circuit board that will specifically be used in conjunction with the OEM navigation screen.

Honestly, the hardest part for me was searching for the double din I felt was best to utilize what I need it for. Very few currently offer Android Auto and Apple Auto, and my gf and I have both, so this is more of a techy upgrade to the navigation unit. Because later MY IS Fs have the HDD and navigation updates, even Beat Sonic suggested this product to be more of a multi-use/benefit one.

The product will be fully finished before the end of the year, so I'll update the final look then. I would just like to thank Beat Sonic USA for being so thorough with the install process and going over questions and concerns I had pertinent to this particular endeavor. Like I said, this won't be for everyone, but I personally know a good number of owners who have been looking for an avenue like this to start their A/V work.
Old 10-14-15 | 11:39 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

This is super cool! I can't wait to see the final product.
Old 10-14-15 | 10:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
This is super cool! I can't wait to see the final product.
It's definitely a nice one-off mod for the interior. When we were testing out the double din in conjunction with the OEM navigation screen, we were able to function in some scenarios where it might become of use: mirror the images so both screens were playing media/movies, have the OEM screen display the climate control, backup camera, etc. while the double din was showing media/movies, have the double din's enhanced GPS navigation with live traffic (certain models apply with correct modules) and mirror that onto the OEM screeen. Multiple ways to make this worthwhile to me, and I know a good number of owners will in fact want to seek this kit for a complete OEM-like look. It won't stand out or look "ricey" in any regards, which is what I like about it. Especially with the '08 IS F where bluetooth audio, HDD, iPod integration, and all the great newer tech stuff that was introduced into later MYs for the F, I feel this was probably the best option available. Not everyone will agree, but I am choosing to take part in this development because I know the quality Beat Sonic brings, and they have always delivered beyond the product itself.
Old 10-14-15 | 10:42 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Taking a break from working with Beat Sonic's R&D of its Stereo Replacement Kit, I decided it might be fun to catch up with some good friends. DLo_IS300 (Daniel) and bakalag (Eric). A little treat Eric brought by, and it really adds to a more complete IS line. Enough chit chat....

L to R: Intensa Blue Pearl IS300 - Atomic Silver IS200t - Obsidian IS F

17s...18s...19s

DLo_IS300's Advans

IS200t's 20-spoke alloy offering

My Volk Racing G25 Prism Dark Silver. I think it might be time for a change...

Let the modding begin for this new IS model...

One of the finest and well modded 1IS rides I've ever seen.

By now, I should be tired of detailing the Obsidian paint. But everytime I see a deep reflection, it hooks me back onto its luster.

Chillin' like villains...

Another track day in the works. Once you start, the itch keeps wanting to get scratched.

See you guys in a few days for FYeah! 2015 at Lexus of Riverside. Hopefully weather will cooperate and not mess with what should be a great day of fun and bringing together Lexus enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-15 | 10:47 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

That's a great option, especially for those who do long road trips. Looking forward to seeing your completed setup.
Old 10-15-15 | 12:26 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISF4TRACK
That's a great option, especially for those who do long road trips. Looking forward to seeing your completed setup.
Thanks bud! I know a 2IS owner recently had this one done as well, but I believe he custom fabricated the housing and matched the side pieces to the OEM garnish finish. It's a fun little mod, hopefully one that I'll get to enjoy with my passengers, presuming they let me pick the video/movie from time to time haha.
Old 10-29-15 | 12:55 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Some teasers as I get ready to conclude the year. More than likely I'll have all the parts I will need to have this be the dual function type of car I envision mine being. Those that are close to me know that I won't want to make this solely a track car and gut the damn thing and throw a roll cage and be as weight-conscious as true track-dedicated cars out there, but I will want to enjoy the engineering even more. and well- let's face it- speed a lot more than what SoCal traffic can allow. As a great guy, also an IS F owner, once said, "The best performance mods are made to the driver." While this holds true, having some nice performance parts upgraded from OEM components should be measured for effectiveness, and I intend to do so with some IS F buddies during some track days next year.

Everything will be in focus soon enough...
Old 10-29-15 | 05:19 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Looks like a set of T66-F's to me. Have them, love them. The quality and light-ness of these wheels are amazing. Did you stick with 19" or get 18's for the track?
Old 10-29-15 | 06:35 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Stop the teaser!!!! Show it!!!!
Old 10-29-15 | 07:44 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
Looks like a set of T66-F's to me. Have them, love them. The quality and light-ness of these wheels are amazing. Did you stick with 19" or get 18's for the track?
Of anyone here on the forums who knows these wheels and how incredibly light and sturdy they are, it is you, my friend. You caught me! I liked the look when you posted your pics, and when the exchange rate became more in my favor, as well as having some Japanese sellers somewhat quarrel among themselves to get the best rate, it was probably the best time to pull the trigger for a set. I'll admit, initially I was drawn to the BBS RI-D, but that would be a major bite into the wallet.

I went with 18 x9.5 square. As much as I love the look of the Michelin PSS 295s, I knew after the first few track events that they wouldn't last. I still think it's a good tire on the track, presuming one doesn't track often in them. Not only will they chunk big time, but also the wear rating is lower than OEM tires to begin with, meaning they'll need to be changed often. At least with track-dedicated tires, I can prolong the use of my street tires by a good period of time.

Originally Posted by chris07is
Stop the teaser!!!! Show it!!!!
haha Chris....eventually. Waiting to get some other track parts, and I still need to do the LSD install. Finding time to do everything is pretty hard, especially with work's deadlines and family festivities for the holidays coming up. Expect a text soon about a final end of year gathering. I'm trying to find a good location so that it is ample space for everyone to be together and there is no segregation or anything.
Old 10-29-15 | 08:04 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

People have asked me, prior to the new wheels, about the wheel/tire combo. I am still glad I went with the exact specs and upsized tires. Certainly it's not for everyone, and I know that. After driving with this particular set up for almost the last three years, I can say there is no compromise in the sidewall integrity, the tread shows even wearing, and the increased traction is a definite bonus from OEM tire sizes. Those who have seen or driven my car know that there is a very little rubbing, and I have not touched the camber at all

The only reason for getting a new set is simple- I wanted a track-specific setup that was proven by others and would maximize the tire usage of both my street tires (Michelin PSS) and now track tires. And having seen the wheels on the IS F CCS-R in person, I knew I wanted to at the very least know more about the brand.
Old 10-30-15 | 12:26 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Very nice!

Looking forward to seeing these on the car, and hearing how you get on with them mate.

Hoping to start tracking my car next year.

If it's as much fun as I think it's going to be, may well follow your lead on getting a dedicated set of track wheels.

Look forward to reading your updates as and when you get some free time.

Cheers.

Peter

Quick Reply: bnizzle87's IS F Through the Years