IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

broke down with what I think is the rear diff.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 09:43 AM
rocky5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone said extended warranty? lol
Old 12-19-13, 12:49 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

ok, so service manager doesn't get my car in yesterday, it was there at 2pm, and he said he would get the inspection done yesterday. I had to call three times today to try and get ahold of him which I finally just did. he then proceeds to tell me the inspections is done and that the diff is shot and possibly the axles and the driveshaft. I told him that he won't know that until he drops the diff out and he agreed but had to put it in the estimate to corporate! he also said that my exhaust was rubbing on another part and that would have to be replaced as well. I know for damn sure that the borla exhaust isn't making contact with anything! so the total estimate that he has is $7800 if everything needs to be replaced before tax!!!!!

So obviously I'm not very happy about this news. What should my next course of action be? need some help on this guys and would appreciate any help.
Old 12-19-13, 01:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Any idea why? Differentials are normally a 250k mile item (minimum), and the only way I've seen them die early is lack of oil, or severe abuse - burnouts with lots of wheel hop and driveline shock.

You've managed to kill two well before their time. What's your secret?

AFA what to do, you're in a bit of a pickle. Either you run it to ground with Lexus and hope they pay some of the bill, or you need to take it somewhere you can have used parts installed. Normally axles and differentials last a very long time so getting them from a junkyard donor is perfectly fine. If you're not picky, you can probably get a used '08 diff pretty cheap since everyone wants the LSD units.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-19-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 01:17 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

i've only had maybe 15 passes on it with a tire. no severe abuse at all on but the occasional fun. I won't know anything until Monday now due to them not getting my inspection done yesterday.
Old 12-19-13, 06:01 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BS ISF
i've only had maybe 15 passes on it with a tire. no severe abuse at all on but the occasional fun. I won't know anything until Monday now due to them not getting my inspection done yesterday.
Did you mean to type "Drag Radial"?

Usually with Auto Transmissions driveline shock is not as bad as a stick shift.

I had an 08 Diff that I would have gladly given you with 32k miles on it, but nobody here wanted it so I took it to the scrap yard and got 60 bux for it.

My '10 LSD Diff is holding up with no issue, knock on wood.

I'm sorry this happened to you, may I ask what dealership you are dealing with?
Old 12-19-13, 07:14 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

McGrath lexus in Westmont.

Last edited by BS ISF; 12-20-13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 06:39 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I've never seen axles nor the driveshaft shot because a rear end let go. They're adding in extra junk because they can. The ring and pinion would be what went out. swap out the diff (not that hard really) and be on your way.
Old 12-20-13, 07:43 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

^^^this exactly. I'm going to take pics at the dealership and see what is really going on.
Old 12-23-13, 01:32 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

ok guys, just got with Lexus Corporate and they are saying they will only pay for 25% of the parts and that's it!!!!! I find this unacceptable but what do you guys think I should do? I'm leaning on having my personal wrench do the work rather that pay the high labor and parts cost going through lexus. thoughts? really need some insight on this as I need the car back asap.
Old 12-23-13, 05:45 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BS ISF
ok guys, just got with Lexus Corporate and they are saying they will only pay for 25% of the parts and that's it!!!!! I find this unacceptable but what do you guys think I should do? I'm leaning on having my personal wrench do the work rather that pay the high labor and parts cost going through lexus. thoughts? really need some insight on this as I need the car back asap.
Aside from the obvious "how did you destroy not one but TWO Toyota diffs!?!?!" You could use the 25% discount to get an LSD 11+ rear diff. Or purchase one of the many salvage yard 08-10 ISF rear diffs. Significant price difference and you shouldn't have issues with it unless you are really lucky...you might wanna play the megamillions.
Old 12-23-13, 06:02 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchase a used one and replace if yourself. I am sure Lexus will only extend the 25% if you have the dealership do the work.
Old 01-16-14, 08:52 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

well after inspection and taking apart the entire rear i have ordered all OEM parts for this. 08 rear diff (thanks blitz), new axels and new driveshaft. to give the community a little insight, i have really pushed his car to the point of breaking. i have a ton of passes in the 1/4, many car shows with burnouts and the rare doughnut fun. so to say the least, the ISF, is very reliable for most people. it's true that i have blown up two lexus rear diff's, one in my 08 is350 and this one. if i have found out any weakness i would say the ELSD just can't take the beating of a true mechanical diff but that's just my experience and opinion. all maintenance was performed at the suggested time per lexus. so i should have my car back tomorrow and be back on the road.

cheers
Old 01-16-14, 08:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

^^ You should seriously consider stiffer subframe bushings for the rear. I'm betting you unknowingly suffered wheel hop which created driveline shock and caused the damage you experienced. Supras have the same issue and the same fix.
Old 01-16-14, 09:55 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

who in the aftermarket makes these subframe bushings for the isf? thanks for the insight on this lobuxracer!
Old 01-16-14, 10:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I don't know of anyone offering them, but I haven't looked very hard. You might want to talk to Titan Motorsports, they offer subframe bushings for Supras. It's possible they would work, but also possible they wouldn't. I'm sure the market is pretty small, the only good news is the GS and IS share the same rear subframe, so if there are any bushings for the GS, they would also work on the IS.

Quick Reply: broke down with what I think is the rear diff.