IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of a second car to add to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 06:19 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your second car should without a doubt be manual, so that rules out the GTR. Agreed it is fast and can't be beat for the money, but there's something about rowing through gears that cannot be replaced. Many cars come to mind including those mentioned in this thread: 997 GT3/Turbo, NSX, Viper GTS or SRT-10 (these hold their values very well), S2000, MR2, Cayman S or R, Lotus Exige, aaaaaaand I can't think of any others.

And I would also suggest making the F your DD, and the second car more of a weekend car.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 12-23-13 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-23-13, 07:32 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

S2000 is my second car and a great compliment to the F. And I should also mention, reliable! Which takes the Porsche out of the running IMO for a DD. I had an nsx as well, great car but the s2000 is more fun and much easier to mod, and quite a bit cheaper.
Old 12-23-13, 08:06 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

p-cars are solid reliability-wise. Just stay away from the 996 N/A cars for their RMS/IMS leaks and you're fine. But obviously normal maintenance will be more expensive than an S2k. S2K is a nice choice... but in a different league of performance IMO. The F is going to spoil you if you get out of 415hp and into 200hp.
Old 12-23-13, 08:59 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pqbrown
S2000 is my second car and a great compliment to the F. And I should also mention, reliable! Which takes the Porsche out of the running IMO for a DD. I had an nsx as well, great car but the s2000 is more fun and much easier to mod, and quite a bit cheaper.
I've owned 2 prior S2Ks, and if I were seriously in the market for a 2nd car, I'd go this route again. Different strokes for different folks, but I got the ISF exactly because it was a performance sedan that would make a great daily driver. If I were to get a 2nd car, it'd have to be very different than the ISF for the whole thing to make sense. I'm talking about a 2-seater pure sports car like the S2000 or Cayman S, or something 100% different like a rugged pickup truck for bad weather and utility.

I like the NSX idea, but not as a daily driver.
Old 12-23-13, 10:23 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also been thinking about replacing my beater/DD with a newer car. Currently my '99 Altima GLE is serving its purpose but it's rather boring to drive and a real sore to look at. As others have said I think the best option for people in the same situation is to get a car that is very different from the ISF. (2 door, manual transmission)

I've been eyeing the Toyobaru twins (FR-S/BRZ) and a used S2000 and as vbb mentioned maybe a more rugged vehicle for bad weather, something along the lines of a pickup or SUV. More than likely though I'll be leaning towards something that is fairly cheap and good on gas while being a sporty ride, which pretty much covers anything that isn't an Altima.
Old 12-23-13, 10:28 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
Dude, if you can buy a GT-R as a backup car, you're better off than me.
I do okay. I've been a life long nissan fan and the GT-R is something I've had on my list since 2009.

VJ I agree about the row your own gears. I get in my 350z from time to time and the 6 speed feels great. However, I must say that I really like the IS-F for track duty....or better yet a DCT for tracking. I was able to concentrate much better when I was driving the F vs. the Z on the track.

The one thing that can really upset the balance of a manual car is when you heel-toe. If you don't get it right the car doesn't really turn all that well. The thing with a DCT or the Direct Shift transmissions is that all that is done for you.

This is coming from a guy that has a sick heel toe combination. lol.
Old 12-23-13, 10:37 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Boma
I've also been thinking about replacing my beater/DD with a newer car. Currently my '99 Altima GLE is serving its purpose but it's rather boring to drive and a real sore to look at. As others have said I think the best option for people in the same situation is to get a car that is very different from the ISF. (2 door, manual transmission)

I've been eyeing the Toyobaru twins (FR-S/BRZ) and a used S2000 and as vbb mentioned maybe a more rugged vehicle for bad weather, something along the lines of a pickup or SUV. More than likely though I'll be leaning towards something that is fairly cheap and good on gas while being a sporty ride, which pretty much covers anything that isn't an Altima.
I kinda want a 3rd go-round at an S2000, but really, I want a Toyota Tacoma. I've wanted one of those for probably 15 years now, but never wanted one bad enough to have as my only mode of transportation. If I get a 2nd vehicle (and now this thread has me thinking of doing just that, lol) I'm going to look hard at a nice used Tacoma.
Old 12-23-13, 11:43 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

I'd go a completely different route.. Ford F-150 Raptor.. Done. Used to have a '09 silverado with a huge lift and that was an awesome daily, annoying to park but driving wise it was fun and people always get out of your way.. compared to now, to save gas I have the '12 BMW f30 3 series. its got a little turbo and its fun to drive but I still want the truck back for a daily..

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-24-13, 10:29 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haydog
I see many people on here going with a 997. I have been really looking at an NSX. I think it would be a fun project to take on. Love Fab and Comptech have great solutions for the NSX. Anybody on the forum own one? I would like it to make it my DD and save some miles on the F.
I DD'd my old NSX for a few months before I sold it. I probably wouldn't do it again though when I get another one, it would be strictly be a weekend car. Not because it wasn't comfortable, but the amount of attention the NSX gets is crazy. I couldn't leave the car parked anywhere without somebody trying to strike a conversation with me. The car is fantastic though, hearing the engine roaring to 8k RPM's right behind your head is something else
Old 12-25-13, 04:50 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepy415
I DD'd my old NSX for a few months before I sold it. I probably wouldn't do it again though when I get another one, it would be strictly be a weekend car. Not because it wasn't comfortable, but the amount of attention the NSX gets is crazy. I couldn't leave the car parked anywhere without somebody trying to strike a conversation with me. The car is fantastic though, hearing the engine roaring to 8k RPM's right behind your head is something else
NSX is a great drive and a great investment as well. They just don't lose value.
Old 12-26-13, 01:21 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the GTR or NSX, know quote a few here who own both. Why we are at it don't forget the might MKIV supra as well!
Old 12-26-13, 05:59 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Your second car should without a doubt be manual, so that rules out the GTR. Agreed it is fast and can't be beat for the money, but there's something about rowing through gears that cannot be replaced. Many cars come to mind including those mentioned in this thread: 997 GT3/Turbo, NSX, Viper GTS or SRT-10 (these hold their values very well), S2000, MR2, Cayman S or R, Lotus Exige, aaaaaaand I can't think of any others.

And I would also suggest making the F your DD, and the second car more of a weekend car.
This is the way to do it. Nothing like DD'ing a mid 12sec car that has all the luxury and amenities you could want, but still has a performance edge. My weekend/toy car will always be a true manual as long as they exist.
Old 12-27-13, 08:27 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

2014 Camaro ZL1 6 speed with Hennessey 700 hp package.
Old 12-27-13, 10:12 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Ever thought of going with a classic car?
Old 12-27-13, 10:23 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Late 80's Fiero w/ Ferrari kit

Quick Reply: Thinking of a second car to add to the stable