IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How reliable is the IS-F for a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 08:20 AM
Evo10Hks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable is the IS-F for a daily?

Hello all, sorry if its been posted before.

I have a 2010 Lancer Evo X, and its going to be built and used as a track/weekend car. So i need a daily, thats also pretty quick and fun to drive, while comfortable at the same time.

the IS-F seems to fit exactly what i want, however not brand new, i was looking used and have found some 2008s that are going for around 25-30k with about 60-70k miles on them. so my question is, how reliable are these cars? are there any major problems i should look out for with a used one? or should i steer clear of a used IS-F period? i know the regular IS350s/250 are pretty reliable and i don't hear many problems about those, but this is a totally different monster. So i wanted some input from you guys here first before i get too excited about buying one.

also how is maintenance?
Old 12-23-13, 08:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Welcome to the site. Lot's of good info here The ISF is pretty much bullet proof. Learn how to use our Search Function, and you'll get some other owner's inputs. If the ISF has been maintained, it's a GREAT automobile that will last a Very Very long time.

Lou
Old 12-23-13, 08:35 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome. These cars are very reliable as far as I can tell..

I did a lot of research before picking up my 2011 and the most common issues I found are related to the paint in the interior of the headlights are known to bubble (my 2011 has this issue) and in the earlier models the water pump may leak, some folks have noisy brakes too. Nothing major as far as I can tell.

When I researched the M3 - there were electrical issues, engine falling into limp home mode often, reoccurring DCT transmission drivability issues. I have not read any recurring major issue like these on the F.

I came over from a heavily modded Subaru..the biggest challenge I had was the switch from AWD to RWD. It takes some getting use to....especially in the rain. Still, great handling car in the dry, and very safe in the rain.
Old 12-23-13, 08:52 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The ISF will be just as reliable as you'd expect from the IS250, IS350 or even your basic Toyota sedan... so pretty darn reliable. The only thing that will be more is the maintenance costs, as brakes and oil changes are much more expensive than on those other cars.

If you would not be afraid to drive a Corolla or Camry over 100k miles (and most people wouldn't) you shouldn't be afraid of drive an ISF over 100k miles either. This is one of the major things (and the residual value that goes along with reliability) that separates the ISF from its competitors.
Old 12-23-13, 10:09 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Just to echo the others above, the ISF is rock solid. A lot of people chose the ISF as a DD because of the balance of reliability and sportiness, not to mention the exclusivity.

There was a small group however that experienced a rare transmission issue but Lexus has so far been cooperative with those individuals with repair/replacement even out of warranty, but do note that this is a super rare occurrence.

You won't be disappointed. Even if you end up bolting on the I/H/E mods there are near zero issues to worry about.
Old 12-23-13, 10:21 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't have said it better than the above, there are plenty of ISF's well into the 70-80K mile range with little to no issues. One ISF owner has 138K with over 25 track days and he has done nothing other than regular maintenance and oil changes, his car is the epitome of the longevity of these cars.
Old 12-23-13, 10:39 AM
LionelHutz
Rookie

In my experience, the IS-F is incredibly reliable, especially for a performance sedan. Prior to the IS-F, I went through three brand new German cars in as many years. Each one had enormous reliability problems--failed fuel pumps, loose fuel lines, defective paint, broken transmission.

I bought my IS-F as a CPO car about 10 months and 8,500 miles ago and have not had so much as a hiccup. The only service items have been Lexus recalls for minor items (2011 headlight paint, wiper arm nuts). I couldn't ask for better reliability.
Old 12-23-13, 10:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

guy at work has an ISF with 130k miles and has tracked it a few times, said he hasnt done anything to it other than scheduled maintenance
Old 12-23-13, 10:49 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are reliable as everyone else has said, big thing being the water pump. Though most have already been replaced on the '08's by now. create an account at lexus.com and then add any vin # for the car's your considering so you can see the service history and verify if it's already been replaced or not (and to see if there were any reoccurring parts replacements in the service history) to avoid a lemon.
Old 12-23-13, 11:04 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

good advice in here. when looking over the car or having it inspected, watch out for a leaky waterpump, sometimes the 08-09's touch screen units/nav have been known to go out as well, expensive thing to replace ($3k?), but i think there is a simple solution if you are diyer, (i think an issue with a solder point fwir)

also if you were really diligent you'd pay for a valve clearance inspection before purchasing any of these (a lexus recommend service at 60k). a lot of people don't really get it done, but if they find the vales do need to be done, its a pretty expensive adjustment (if you can trust/find a good tech to even do it properly).....but don't recall anyone actually having to get that job done on the forums. might be wrong about this.

like others have said brakes, rotors and tires are decent maint expenses on this car, but i'm sure you expect that.

i just bought one with 72k on it, not really worried about taking it to well over 150k with proper care.

plus if you get a good deal on one, pretty tough to really lose toooooo much money if you decide its not for you and want to resell it.

fwiw, if you don't care too much about color, the mrm and blue colors seem to fetch lower prices in the marketplace (in my experience anyway).

but yeah man is-f all the way, reliability and exclusivity, and you get great forum support community to come with it, ha.

Last edited by scamsel; 12-23-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-23-13, 11:07 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought my 08 ISF back in 2011 with 78k miles... been daily driving and commuting with it every single day since I brought it home. Haven't had one single issue, and I'm in stop and go traffic M-F 50 miles round trip.
Old 12-23-13, 01:29 PM
Evo10Hks
Driver School Candidate

wow. totally did not expect all positive things to be said about the car! thats honestly a first. with my mitsubishi if you look up the SST dual clutch model, there's a list of people who have issues with the transmission, that was my main concern.

One other thing while you guys are answering questions, how is the insurance for you guys? Did it do a huge hike when some of you went from a normal car to this? I wouldn't expect to to be much worse than my evo, because the evo is in the same insurance bracket as the GT-R :/
Old 12-23-13, 01:51 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo10Hks
wow. totally did not expect all positive things to be said about the car! thats honestly a first. with my mitsubishi if you look up the SST dual clutch model, there's a list of people who have issues with the transmission, that was my main concern.

One other thing while you guys are answering questions, how is the insurance for you guys? Did it do a huge hike when some of you went from a normal car to this? I wouldn't expect to to be much worse than my evo, because the evo is in the same insurance bracket as the GT-R :/
Insurance depends on so many factors that have nothing to do with the car itself, but I can say with relative confidence that an ISF would have a lower premium than a similar year Evo with the same level of coverage. These cars are not really that expensive to insure, and certainly not when you consider it was basically built to go fast.
Old 12-23-13, 02:41 PM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You basically can't find a more reliable car than a Lexus, more so than Mercedes. The F, though a Skunkworks design, has shown the same reliability over the 6 years it's been in production. We have discussed extended warranties here, and the consensus seems to be....you don't need one.
Old 12-23-13, 02:43 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i came from a G35 sedan. insurance went up about $35/month for me. what's more expensive is registration!

Quick Reply: How reliable is the IS-F for a daily?