Coolant leak back of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 12:48 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coolant leak back of engine.

Hi All,

Changed oil, took a peak to where coolant was leaking. Had pump done at 75000 @ Lexus Serramonte. Kept having heating issues and loosing coolant slowly. Did some investigation....

Looks like the exchange pipe must be leaking don't know what else it could be.

Last edited by zazzn; 01-05-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 05:26 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zazzn
Never mind found the intake removal on the TSRM. What a complicated endeavor. This car does not like to be worked on. Pray you never have to do anything under the intake plenum. PRAY...

So far this is BY FAR the hardest job I have ever done on ANY car and think, I've done 5 engine swaps on my mk3.....

There is no space at all to work on the engine, and the TSRM is a joke, it claims to pull specific parts, but there isn't even space with the stock exhaust to get out the heat shield to get to the starter cable. Seriously, this car is a joke to work on except for the general stuff like sparkplugs ect.
Didn't you see the sticker "no user serviceable parts inside"
Old 12-29-13, 10:25 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zazzn - I have the same issue, that is more prevalent on the passenger side of the trans (but also has a small trickle on the Drivers side)

I found mine to same way you did - washed it down and waited for it to return to show itself.

.....I'm very interested in the the reason or cause you find. Not prepared to undertake the steps you are to self fix, but still have 1 year of extended warranty left and would love to know where you think its emanating from?

Digger08
Old 01-05-14, 09:02 PM
zazzn
Instructor

It's the exchange pipe orings I'm guessing, I don't know what else it could be, to resolve this you have to take the whole front of the car apart, take off the crank take off the valve covers, like EVERYTHING. Not sure what to do here... I really don't want to dig any deeper into the car...

** Warning **

These cars are going to have serious injector issues if you ever try to remove the DI injectors. Since they sit right on top of the engine there's a lot of heat that gets transferred to them and the plastic cannot handle the heat cycles. It will be very brittle and when you try to remove the inejctor clips, you'll break the tabs on the clips and most likely also break the connector right off the injector.

Just broke two direct injection injectors this way. These engines are a serious disaster to work on. Injectors are 600$ each from the dealer, so don't know what else to do now. This is insane...

Last edited by zazzn; 01-05-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 09:12 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Wow......that does not look very good

Thank you for getting back on this.....I will have to investigate as well, but suspect mine is the same as yours

Digger08
Old 01-05-14, 09:42 PM
zazzn
Instructor

I saw someone else in the ls460 section mention they have a leak like this. I suspect a problem in design. Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty, and really really do not want to tare down the front of the engine to replace a ****ing O ring.
Old 01-06-14, 07:02 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Put in some barrs stop leak and trade her in.... lol
Old 01-06-14, 08:11 PM
zazzn
Instructor

lol not something i want to do, but that would have saved me hundreds of dollars and many hours of time... no joke.
Old 01-07-14, 04:35 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably have a lifted head.
Old 01-17-14, 06:44 AM
zazzn
Instructor

nope not at all, it's the transfer pipe orings between the waterpump and the heat exchanger.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-slightly.html

This sucks... such a big job.
Old 01-17-14, 12:59 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zazzn
nope not at all, it's the transfer pipe orings between the waterpump and the heat exchanger.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-slightly.html

This sucks... such a big job.
Thanks for your hard work and information on this...I'm arranging an inspection and repair on this a few weeks.

Appreciate the sharing of your learning's.

Digger08
Old 01-17-14, 02:47 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Yes I definitely, recommend you guys have this checked out under warranty, because it's a 4-5000 $ job easy to replace that 5$ o ring or 2000 if it's the heat exchanger FIPG.
Old 01-17-14, 06:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,396 Posts

1990's BMW 318i has an o-ring in a similar spot that costs a couple of grand to repair for the same reasons.

Found this in the FSM. So the whole timing cover has to come off to get to the tube with an o-ring on each end?

It is pictured in the oil pump replacement procedure?

I think I see now. You're expecting the heat exchanger or the riser at the back of the heat exchanger is where the leak is originating?

BTW, this is a really ugly job. It would almost be easier to drop the engine to do it.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-17-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 09:48 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Yeah I know it's a fing nightmare, and exactly what I was thinking... If you drop the engine at least you can get the valve cover's off with ease.. Just looking at how much room is there I dare not attempt it.

Here's the thing, if you can pull out the exchange and the transfer pipe doesn't hold it in place (go in too deep) then I see it feasible to be able to replace both sides of the o ring with out removing the timing chain cover.

The problem is I don't want to lift that exchanger, unless I know for sure, because I don't want to replace the FIPG and potentially cause another leak... But that would make the job MUCH easier if I coiuld lift the exchanger, pull the transfer pipe replace the o rings and then create a new gasket