Old 01-15-14 | 06:04 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Actually just take it to the track and look at your trap speed
Old 01-15-14 | 08:30 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fstpassat
Keeping up with a 5.0 GT mustang with intake, exhaust, and a tune is a good accomplishment. That is roughly a 117~118mph car in the 1/4 mile. My brother has a completely stock 2012 GT and he went 12.58@115.02mph with no power mods at all. I also pull him from a roll every time. Even if he jumps out on me, I will reel him in and pull past him .

Don't be upset by the result you had. The new GT's are very potent cars.
Took the words right out of my mouth. To OP all dynos and weather are different. Garuantee if you were to put it in a dynapack or something other than a dynojet you would get higher numbers
Old 01-15-14 | 09:14 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
only problem is...Atlanta Dragway is my local track. talk about heartbreak.

my brothers 550+ rwhp CTS-V was only able trap in the mid-high teens. its a notoriously slow track...

but hey...the next thread i start will prolly be in March after a session in Commerce, Ga
Old 01-15-14 | 09:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1BAD4DR
if you were to put it in a dynapack or something other than a dynojet you would get higher numbers
Why put it on another type of Dyno just to achieve higher numbers, means nothing IMHO. And again, IMHO, the DynoJet Dyno is the most accurate, and the one most of use. So Within loose limits you can compare numbers. Anybody see my post no. 5 on the preceding page

Again, the OPs dyno numbers seem to be right where they should be.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-16-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-15-14 | 09:16 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fstpassat
Dyno here www.dynolab.net

I made 383whp on that dyno SAE corrected with a Joe Z exhaust and a drop in filter. Then you will know if the dyno you were on in this thread is a heart breaker or not.
thanx for that!!! its closer to the crib and that thursday night special sounds like a win. for research purposes, of course...
Old 01-16-14 | 07:19 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
This. IMO a dyno should only be used to measure how well your car responds to mods. For example, you dyno the car in its current state, add some power mods, and dyno again in similar conditions on the same dyno. Many F owners have seen a noticeable increase after adding exhaust and headers.

Take it to the track and see what you run, I anticipate mid to low 12's!
Old 01-16-14 | 07:57 AM
Vervish
Racer

I dunno - I think the ISF's strengths are much better represented on a road course than on a dag strip. I personally do not get too caught up in 1/4 mile times or dyno numbers. But I do agree that trap speed is a pretty good indicator of power.
Old 01-16-14 | 08:23 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

^Good point, I forgot to mention road course as well. Taking the car there shows which mod is better... the actual mods themselves or the driver
Old 01-16-14 | 08:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Quarter mile times are useless. Trap speed is everything. It doesn't matter what your ET is, because ET is driver dependent. Trap speed is pretty much driver independent, and you can calculate HP from trap speed if you know the weight of the car and driver at the starting line.

Dynojet and accurate do not belong in the same sentence. No inertial dyno is "accurate" because they have to make a large number of assumptions. Consider this - if I put a lighter set of wheels on my car and do nothing else, an inertial dyno (any inertial dyno like Dynojet) will say I made more power. It's impossible to make more power without the engine breathing better, but just changing the tires and wheels shows an increase on a Dynojet. In fact, just changing air pressure will impact the numbers. So, all an inertial dyno does is tell you how fast your configuration will spin up a drum of a known mass. Nothing more.

As stated above - who really cares about a number for horsepower? What I really care about is what my ride does on the road, with the hood down, full road friction, aerodynamic drag, and tires I can safely use on the street. Just because your car dyno'd a lower number than you wanted doesn't mean you won't beat cars with better dyno numbers. The lamest thing in the world is beating someone hands down and having the sore loser say "well my car has a better hp number." I'd just laugh...