IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Secondary Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 10:10 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Security Light

Has anyone tried adding a secondary security light? I was thinking of installing a bright blue or red led in one of the blanks to the left of the steering column and splicing into the factory security light circuit. I'm guessing the current draw from an additional led would not be an issue. There are some very bright led security lights available from the major aftermarket alarm companies that would work well.

If anyone has done this or has input my next question is: Is there a good place to tap into the factory security light other than removing the nav/radio and going right behind the light? It would be nice to know if the blinking voltage signal comes from the radio or somewhere else such as the BCM or some other module.

Thx
Old 01-18-14, 10:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxam
Has anyone tried adding a secondary security light? I was thinking of installing a bright blue or red led in one of the blanks to the left of the steering column and splicing into the factory security light circuit. I'm guessing the current draw from an additional led would not be an issue. There are some very bright led security lights available from the major aftermarket alarm companies that would work well.

If anyone has done this or has input my next question is: Is there a good place to tap into the factory security light other than removing the nav/radio and going right behind the light? It would be nice to know if the blinking voltage signal comes from the radio or somewhere else such as the BCM or some other module.

Thx
I installed a switch for my radar detector. Whatever you do, don't splice into the factory wiring. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Get an Add a circuit kit from AutoZone, it will plug directly into the fuse box. Easy install (and un-install) without cutting or splicing.
Old 01-19-14, 07:46 AM
Maxxam
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I installed a switch for my radar detector. Whatever you do, don't splice into the factory wiring. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Get an Add a circuit kit from AutoZone, it will plug directly into the fuse box. Easy install (and un-install) without cutting or splicing.
I am a master auto tech so no problem splicing into the factory wiring - I just want to know if anyone has tied into the OEM security light and if so, then where they made the connection…...
Old 02-04-14, 11:32 PM
Maxxam
Rookie

Well, I certainly didn't get much response to this post.

Anyways, I decided to utilize a 'fake' alarm light. Basically, a blinking blue LED that is activated whenever the ignition is off. Super bright and works great.

In the process I added:

(1) Factory LS460 LED lighting in the interior door cups and LS460 chrome door lock *****.
(2) Accessory Lexus LED lighted door sills.
(3) Apexi Smart Throttle Controller.

I also installed Putco yellow driving light bulbs and will review them in a separate post.

The door sills and interior door handle cups were wired to turn on & auto-dim with the footwell lighting. Anyone in the area that would like this done to their IS can PM me.
Attached Thumbnails Secondary Security Light-img_0310.jpg   Secondary Security Light-door-lock-1.png   Secondary Security Light-door-lock-2.png   Secondary Security Light-img_0312.jpg  

Last edited by Maxxam; 02-04-14 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 08:39 AM
ricky350is
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxam
Well, I certainly didn't get much response to this post.

Anyways, I decided to utilize a 'fake' alarm light. Basically, a blinking blue LED that is activated whenever the ignition is off. Super bright and works great.

In the process I added:

(1) Factory LS460 LED lighting in the interior door cups and LS460 chrome door lock *****.
(2) Accessory Lexus LED lighted door sills.
(3) Apexi Smart Throttle Controller.

I also installed Putco yellow driving light bulbs and will review them in a separate post.

The door sills and interior door handle cups were wired to turn on & auto-dim with the footwell lighting. Anyone in the area that would like this done to their IS can PM me.

Can you post another picture with those weathertech floor maps?