IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Idiot drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 07:58 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot drivers

Well on my in to work this some A-hole rear ended me on the highway in stop and go traffic. My car is a black 08 F. This is the cars first accident. The bumper is broke, trunk is crooked, and the bad part is the right rear quarter panel is kinked at the wheel well and at the rear pilar between the rear glass and the rear door. Also the rear door rubs now when opening and closing. What is the standard protocol for repairs of this type? I'm taking it to a Lexus dealership but I don't want to get hosed with a cheaper way of doing things. Also I want to ask for a full respray. Is that reasonable?
Old 01-21-14, 08:21 AM
mcme
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that.

Most dealerships will not do body work. You will most probably be redirected to a body shop.

The first step though is to talk to your insurance. They will recommend a body shop to get an estimate. If you know of a good body shop, take it to them directly and they should be able to work with your insurance.
Old 01-21-14, 08:24 AM
mcme
Driver School Candidate

If you are in the bay area, b2perfection in sunnyvale is my go to shop for any body work. Ask for Blake and tell him Raja - the gtr guy - sent you there.
Old 01-21-14, 09:52 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask for compensation on the accident making the value of the care lower now
Old 01-21-14, 09:56 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would take it to the body shop of your choice, if your insurance allows. Find a shop that you are sure to trust, one that won't do just the regular repairs and stuff like that. I'm more concerned about the respray and blending. Being that your F is Obsidian, it shouldn't differ too much, but you'll notice a slight change in the paint if it isn't done correctly. I believer the body shop will only paint and blend the affected areas, but if you're looking for a full respray, ask the shop manager before the work gets underway. This might be an out of pocket expense for having non accidental work done. Best of luck!
Old 01-21-14, 10:22 AM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Very sorry to hear about your accident. At least your okay...cars can always be fixed. Best of luck.
Old 01-21-14, 10:22 AM
Got F?

Originally Posted by H60Driver
Well on my in to work this some A-hole rear ended me on the highway in stop and go traffic. My car is a black 08 F. This is the cars first accident. The bumper is broke, trunk is crooked, and the bad part is the right rear quarter panel is kinked at the wheel well and at the rear pilar between the rear glass and the rear door. Also the rear door rubs now when opening and closing. What is the standard protocol for repairs of this type? I'm taking it to a Lexus dealership but I don't want to get hosed with a cheaper way of doing things. Also I want to ask for a full respray. Is that reasonable?
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

When I saw the title of your post, I knew you must be from Texas. There are the worst drivers here - inconsiderate and just plain brainless.
Old 01-21-14, 10:51 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Sounds pretty major. Ask around and find a good shop. A full respray is really not necessary.
Old 01-21-14, 11:26 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If that much work will be needed I would just do a full respray
Old 01-21-14, 12:40 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also cross reference prices with Sewells CL members discount on certain things. I had someone roll into me at a stop light and put some indents in my rear bumper and broke 1 of the lower tabs. Being the tab broke insurance stated the entire bumper needed to be replaced. The price they gave me was for a remanufactered bumper that needed to be sprayed. The insurance quote was $200+ over the cost of a Brandnew bumper shipped from Sewell. You might be able to off set some of the cost for a full respray.

Sorry to hear this but at least you were not hurt. Good luck with everything.
Old 01-21-14, 12:53 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Originally Posted by kauaian
I would also cross reference prices with Sewells CL members discount on certain things. I had someone roll into me at a stop light and put some indents in my rear bumper and broke 1 of the lower tabs. Being the tab broke insurance stated the entire bumper needed to be replaced. The price they gave me was for a remanufactered bumper that needed to be sprayed. The insurance quote was $200+ over the cost of a Brandnew bumper shipped from Sewell. You might be able to off set some of the cost for a full respray. Sorry to hear this but at least you were not hurt. Good luck with everything.
Great idea. Thanks
Old 01-21-14, 12:55 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Originally Posted by Got F?
Sorry to hear of your troubles. When I saw the title of your post, I knew you must be from Texas. There are the worst drivers here - inconsiderate and just plain brainless.
El Paso....Barely Texas but the worst drivers EVER
Old 01-21-14, 01:00 PM
H60Driver
Driver

Originally Posted by thekhmer
Ask for compensation on the accident making the value of the care lower now
Ya just did some research and here in Texas they have a "diminished value claim" that reimburses you for that. Definitely doing this.
Old 01-21-14, 01:28 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

I would contact your insurance first. They will refer you to their shop. I had a great experience when someone backed up into me. The referred shop told me that the car is guaranteed to look like new and all body work and paint is warranted for the life of the car. I was very impressed with the final outcome, just as promised.
Good luck and sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 01-22-14, 12:20 AM
crazee201
Pole Position

You have to know if the dealership is willing to help you out with it and that person should be very meticulous about the repair just as you would be. I brought mine to Prestige and the guy helped me through everything and he also made sure that there were no flaws after the repair is done. He also got the third party repair shop to respray the hood and fix up a few other things. :P Unless you know someone than they can do great work and you can pocket a few extra cash. Also remember to tell the adjuster that your car is rare and that there isn't any aftermarket bumpers available and he/she will look into it and possibly agree with you and throw in the OEM pricing.

Quick Reply: Idiot drivers