IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Buy 2011 or considering 08-10 and upgrade lsd/suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14 | 11:27 AM
MarkRacerX
Driver School Candidate

Default Buy 2011 or considering 08-10 and upgrade lsd/suspension?

I " was " considering a 08+ BMW M3 DCT..but after some thought, the warranty, maint. lead me to the Lexus IS F. Nice that Lexus has the longer warranty and as you don't see the IS F much. I do some autocross/ road course events and I hear 2011+ Lexus made Big improvements in handling. However older Gen low mile I am seeing $35-$40k commonly, while 2011 $44k+ . I only saw a few posts of upgrading LSD, but not full suspension swap. I fig if I can score early gen around $35k and just upgrade I would be sitting less than a 2011. Was shocked to see Car and Driver Lightning lap 8 sec. faster w/ later gen. What are your thoughts? I am looking fwd to the Lexus having nice creature comforts with some Lux + Power combo. This would be my 1st V8 car, prior I have owned 7 Turbo cars
numerous STi's, Evo X, BMW 135i, Bmw 335 , 350Z, Scion FRS, Honda S2000.

Or is it worth it to just buy a 2011 and be done?

Thank you!
Old 01-29-14 | 11:41 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

2010's have the LSD and a better navi unit . So the only thing missing is the suspension updates and headlights if you're between a 10 and 11.
Old 01-29-14 | 12:32 PM
jat0223
Instructor

You can also upgrade the steering ecu
Old 01-29-14 | 12:38 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Actually I wrote this post mentioning some of the updates year by year in another thread. It's up to you whether an 11 is worth the upgrade or not.

2010 - addition of lsd, New wheels

2011 - updated suspension components, updated steering ecu, thicker steering wheel, sport button at steering wheel, new tach, New hd based navigation with usb and bluetooth, Alcantara interior, led DRL in headlights, removed lexus badge.*

2012 - new wider wheels, updated navigation, I'm not sure whether they did anything to the suspension.*

2013 - updated suspension components, updated steering ecu, no more 6cd changer.*

2014 - updated interior with embossed headrests, alcantara arm rest and door panels, carbon fiber spoiler, led fog lights.*

Last edited by jat0223; 01-29-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-29-14 | 01:05 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Buy the 2011+. It won't be worth the cost and time to upgrade a 2008 - 2009, then add LSD + suspension upgrades, and could end up costing more along with more issues. If you have your own garage, tools, and are able to DIY, the choice is yours....

Since you're coming from an extensive history of "sports cars" and I assume, most likely were modded, take an ISF for a test drive. You might not like the additional weight and lack of low end torque compared to the turbo cars.
Old 01-29-14 | 01:20 PM
MarkRacerX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Buy the 2011+. It won't be worth the cost and time to upgrade a 2008 - 2009, then add LSD + suspension upgrades, and could end up costing more along with more issues. If you have your own garage, tools, and are able to DIY, the choice is yours....

Since you're coming from an extensive history of "sports cars" and I assume, most likely were modded, take an ISF for a test drive. You might not like the additional weight and lack of low end torque compared to the turbo cars.
Thanks for info. guys , I appreciate it !

Def 2011+ is easiest choice...but I just have a hard time say $8k-$9k dif seems one could just buy new springs/sways and a LSD. I barely travel so won't use the nav. rarely. I guess I just have to price it all out if I go w/ an older low mile or just spend more and not deal with it. I do want to do Headers / Catback too, these cars sounds Great and seems good +40-50whp gains common.

Have any of you driven / raced orig setup and also updated LSD/Susp. ? Is the Dif HUGE?

Thanks for feedback / info!
Old 01-29-14 | 01:50 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

I had an 08 ISF for 3 years, now a 2011 ISF. Both 100% stock, no mods. Both daily driven and tracked 2-3 times a year ,but nothing hardcore like some of the other guys here do. I am able to tell the difference and it is noticeable especially when driving near the limit.

The 2011 is able to put down the power better and feels a lot more predictable when powering out of corners. Maybe the combination of the LSD and "softer" suspension in the 2011 does this. The 2008 suspension was stiff and since no public road is track-smooth, it had a tendency to lose traction under hard acceleration. The 2011, I am able to get on the throttle sooner when almost out of a corner, the 2008, it would spin the tire depending on the surface and angle. The seats in the 2011 are alcantara instead of the smooth leather in the 2008 and they are perfect for hard driving, big improvement. Acceleration wise, it's odd, but the 2011 feels slower. Maybe because the suspension is softer so the sensation of speed is muted? I have not drag raced either one to see if this is indeed true though.

Cornering wise, the 2011 definitely has a more natural feel, which in turn, gives more confidence in driving at/near the limit. I find myself driving more aggressively in the 2011 than the 2008 due to the better "feel.

Driving dynamics aside, it's still a luxury car, and my only complaint is the ML audio is subpar. It is even worse in the 2011 as the volume really needs to be pumped up in order to hear any bass and trebles are just not clear. The 2008 didn't have this problem with bass, but the overall sound quality was not good. The base model stereo (non ML) in the ES350 loaner had a much cleaner and better sound quality, go figure.... I never use the NAV, always Google Maps on the phone, so can't comment on that....

Originally Posted by MarkRacerX
Thanks for info. guys , I appreciate it !

Def 2011+ is easiest choice...but I just have a hard time say $8k-$9k dif seems one could just buy new springs/sways and a LSD. I barely travel so won't use the nav. rarely. I guess I just have to price it all out if I go w/ an older low mile or just spend more and not deal with it. I do want to do Headers / Catback too, these cars sounds Great and seems good +40-50whp gains common.

Have any of you driven / raced orig setup and also updated LSD/Susp. ? Is the Dif HUGE?

Thanks for feedback / info!
Old 01-29-14 | 01:52 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

I had a similar car lineup history as you...those are all cars that you MOD. If you are like me I cannot buy any car and NOT mod it. I'd personally buy an 08-10 and plan to upgrade bushings, suspension, headlights, wheels, steering ecu and most def. an OS Giken LSD and IS350 1st gear ratio.
Old 01-29-14 | 01:54 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the 201+ and save yourself a headache or two.
Old 01-29-14 | 02:03 PM
MarkRacerX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I had an 08 ISF for 3 years, now a 2011 ISF. Both 100% stock, no mods. Both daily driven and tracked 2-3 times a year ,but nothing hardcore like some of the other guys here do. I am able to tell the difference and it is noticeable especially when driving near the limit.

The 2011 is able to put down the power better and feels a lot more predictable when powering out of corners. Maybe the combination of the LSD and "softer" suspension in the 2011 does this. The 2008 suspension was stiff and since no public road is track-smooth, it had a tendency to lose traction under hard acceleration. The 2011, I am able to get on the throttle sooner when almost out of a corner, the 2008, it would spin the tire depending on the surface and angle. The seats in the 2011 are alcantara instead of the smooth leather in the 2008 and they are perfect for hard driving, big improvement. Acceleration wise, it's odd, but the 2011 feels slower. Maybe because the suspension is softer so the sensation of speed is muted? I have not drag raced either one to see if this is indeed true though.

Cornering wise, the 2011 definitely has a more natural feel, which in turn, gives more confidence in driving at/near the limit. I find myself driving more aggressively in the 2011 than the 2008 due to the better "feel.

Driving dynamics aside, it's still a luxury car, and my only complaint is the ML audio is subpar. It is even worse in the 2011 as the volume really needs to be pumped up in order to hear any bass and trebles are just not clear. The 2008 didn't have this problem with bass, but the overall sound quality was not good. The base model stereo (non ML) in the ES350 loaner had a much cleaner and better sound quality, go figure.... I never use the NAV, always Google Maps on the phone, so can't comment on that....
Originally Posted by mikellucci
I had a similar car lineup history as you...those are all cars that you MOD. If you are like me I cannot buy any car and NOT mod it. I'd personally buy an 08-10 and plan to upgrade bushings, suspension, headlights, wheels, steering ecu and most def. an OS Giken LSD and IS350 1st gear ratio.
Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback, cool you owned both to truly enjoy the updates/revisions

Yeahp, I've had about 20yrs of car payments haha I have enjoyed them all, but here in NW awd+boost combo has been great all year fun cars ! But minimal changes in STi's /Evo I am bored w/ them. I am looking for a nice DD, yet some Power to have fun with. I have a Tahoe for Winter and hauling things. So Rwd will work, I have yet to own a DCT car too, lightning fast perfect shifts and along w/ commuting should be nice. My brother has a GTR, insane how it just pins you to the seat through all gears, no head bob like manual cars through the gears...someday GTR will be checked off my list Yeah I def plan to start w/ Headers/Exhaust, seems around 400whp is common and I'd be happy w/ 12's down the 1/4 and some track events will be fun. Def will be an adjustment w/ a large 4 door , but I think I am ready for it ! I am leaning toward an earlier gen save the money and mod myself, unless a 11' comes up for a steal.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-14 | 03:24 PM
1BAD4DR
Pole Position

I'll sell u my 09 moded a bit on the high side of mileage for 36k
Old 01-29-14 | 03:32 PM
vbb

I also had a few of those same cars on your list in the past (335i, NA S2000, turbo S2000). Despite my intentions, I always end up modding something about the cars I own. You will probably end up wanting to mod the ISF even if just a little bit. I have driven a 2011 and I own a 2009. Under regular driving conditions and some spirited runs, I couldn't really tell a difference between the two suspensions. I definitely would not say the upgrades on the 2011 make it a necessity unless you plan on tracking your car semi competitively. I went with an '09 because I found such a clean, low mileage car in the color I wanted even though for the same price or just slightly more I could have found a newer car with higher mileage. I didn't think that for the driving I was going to do I needed to invest in the upgraded suspension bits.

So in short, it all depends on your priority list. The 2011 and up do perform much better on the track, but if you're not going to be tracking competitively, you probably won't even realize those advantages.
Old 01-29-14 | 03:49 PM
MarkRacerX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
I also had a few of those same cars on your list in the past (335i, NA S2000, turbo S2000). Despite my intentions, I always end up modding something about the cars I own. You will probably end up wanting to mod the ISF even if just a little bit. I have driven a 2011 and I own a 2009. Under regular driving conditions and some spirited runs, I couldn't really tell a difference between the two suspensions. I definitely would not say the upgrades on the 2011 make it a necessity unless you plan on tracking your car semi competitively. I went with an '09 because I found such a clean, low mileage car in the color I wanted even though for the same price or just slightly more I could have found a newer car with higher mileage. I didn't think that for the driving I was going to do I needed to invest in the upgraded suspension bits.

So in short, it all depends on your priority list. The 2011 and up do perform much better on the track, but if you're not going to be tracking competitively, you probably won't even realize those advantages.
Thanks for sharing ! Def not competitive racing, just for fun here/there.I fig the $8k-$9k savings will be nice on the monthly payment, then some extra money if I'd like to put towards mods as time goes. $1XX a month or so I fig.

Last edited by MarkRacerX; 01-29-14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-29-14 | 03:59 PM
vbb

Exactly. I set a budget to spend on a car, and I spent about $4K less than that budget leaving me enough to get the Volks I wanted within the first month I had the car. If you can get a great car and still have $8k left over to mod it how you want, that's the better course of action, I think.