Looked up a VIN on https://secure.drivers.lexus.com; need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 09:58 AM
JetBlack25
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looked up a VIN on https://secure.drivers.lexus.com; need your help

Hey all,

As most of you know I'm in the market for a low mileage 2011 ISF. I've got 12k saved up for a nice down payment and have been doing my research on locating the right car for me.

I saw a link to this site that a member posted https://secure.drivers.lexus.com and went ahead and looked up 2011 ISF I was interested in.

When I checked out the service history, one of the records said the following:

-Damage noted on arrival
-Reflashed ECU & Programmed New Key
-Performed MPI World Class Inspection

Obviously this worries me and the dealer that serviced the car is very close to me. I was wondering if there was any way I can find out the extent of what the damage was by contacting the dealer or maybe one of you can tell me based upon the information above?

Definitely don't want to make a mistake and fork out 40k plus for the wrong car.
Old 02-05-14, 11:34 AM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

you can call the dealership and if the service writer is cool you can give them the vin and they'll read you the details.

just gotta sweet talk a little
Old 02-05-14, 11:43 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can;t get any more info, I would not worry too much about it. My dealer inspects the vehicle before any service (to confirm that their techs did not do any damage). The damage noted is likely some small scratch, ding or curb rash to the wheels. I doubt it is anything major.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-14, 12:17 PM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do this all the time when looking at different lexus's. The key thing is from what i've found is that the maintenance has been done on a regular basis at a lexus facility and that you don't see any repeat repairs (like a car continually coming in for tire wear or a leak, etc). At least that's been my criteria.

The reflash and MPI are not red flags at all. The damage thing as others have said is most likely notated for dealer liability to make sure the customer doesn't come back and say "look what you did to my car!"
Old 02-05-14, 12:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I guarantee you my car would get a reflash right away. I chose not to have the brake and accelerator software update because it eliminates left foot braking at the track. It's one of the reasons I would have a hard time buying a new one. There are times when left foot braking makes a huge difference, and killing the accelerator input would spin the car.

Of course there's no Lexus maintenance history on my car either. But I do have oil analysis from every oil change I've done. You won't find that from any dealer maintained vehicle.
Old 02-05-14, 12:33 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always buy my car I'm local and my cars for sale

Good luck on finding your car and as others posted I dont see any real red flags.
Old 02-05-14, 01:11 PM
JetBlack25
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys, just trying to make sure I cover my bases and do my homework before I find my car.

Murph: You got a great ride, I'm looking for one that's stock though and I've seen you ad on Autotrader, beautiful car bro.
Old 02-05-14, 03:09 PM
Raybean
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you message me the vin i can get a autocheck report on it.
Old 02-05-14, 05:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I guarantee you my car would get a reflash right away. I chose not to have the brake and accelerator software update because it eliminates left foot braking at the track. It's one of the reasons I would have a hard time buying a new one. There are times when left foot braking makes a huge difference, and killing the accelerator input would spin the car.

Of course there's no Lexus maintenance history on my car either. But I do have oil analysis from every oil change I've done. You won't find that from any dealer maintained vehicle.
Lance is echoing my words. My ECU has also not been updated for the same reason, and I also change my own oil, but I have a record of all the maintenance I have done on an Excel spreadsheet. I also have kept the original accelerator pedal, IMO, it looks so much better than the new shorty pedal. In fact, none of the recalls have been done, because, for me, they are unnecessary and would alter the driving experience that I now enjoy.

But, I did upgrade the interior rear view mirror

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-05-14 at 05:26 PM.