IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 09:11 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i've actually never driven in manual + normal mode. felt that it kind of defeats the purpose of driving in manual. i actually NEVER drive the car in normal mode, anyway haha the first thing it do, i press the sport button right after the engine turns over.
Old 03-12-14, 09:59 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

Thats a lot of questions.

All I was trying to imply is that I didn't just join yesterday to come on a forum to stir the pot, be disruptive, or antiLexus. I was genuinely trying to find out why the car felt like crap when it would shift in manual mode. I understand now thats its related to the performance of the drivetrain, BUT to me it felt like something was wrong. The LS460 I had was far smoother. It was all about smooth and quiet operation. Sorry about the dumb questions. Its just a bit foreign to me coming from literally the other end of the Lexus lineup spectrum.

Thanks for the info guys.

BTW I did search for harsh shifting and came up with nothing good.
Keyword: LS460

Just because you have owned 3 "high end" lexus vehicles, doesn't really mean much.. (what defines high end anyways? you named pretty much 3 of the 5 non-SUV vehicles Lexus makes)

Any non-F model will shift hard when in sport mode, its part of the fact that its difficult to have fast but smooth operation in a single clutch transmission. If you have driven any exotic car with dual clutch or single clutch transmission, they shift pretty hard at WOT.

I get it, you want to know why it shifts hard.. sure but the only reason why you [searched] harsh shifting and it came up with nothing is because its LOGICAL/common sense/technically sound to assume its because its a performance vehicle and shifts like this. Its like asking why Ferraris are so loud and makes high pitched sounds when you floor it, asking why a exotic vehicles have a hard time driving over speed bumps because of their low clearance and the same question as to why they shift so hard at WOT.

Just pointing out the obvious, which leads me back to why I was wondering.. "not sure if trolling"
Old 03-12-14, 10:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
give the guy a break wtf
thank you. Not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just learning.

Originally Posted by WillRockwe
Sport mode also changes steering response, the wheel feels tighter and more responsive. I noticed this on my car and then found confirmation: "In Sport mode, VDIM increases steering feel and allows higher dynamic thresholds before intervening with confidence."
I love this damn car so much. I can feel what you are describing. Now that I know manual + sport changes things a lot I am driving like that from now on....at least when I want to have some fun. Drove it to work in manual +sport. Shifts still trip me out a bit but they are LIGHTING fast

Originally Posted by Defratos
Yup I drive my car 80% sports mode and manually shift......it's the only way to drive the ISF properly for my personal preference
starting to see that. I launched from a stop light this morning and I was literally yelling "WOOHOO" as I pulled away from the light

Originally Posted by DrRick
why the snarkiness, man? has it made your day to be a jerk on this thread? if so, you should feel awesome!!!
Old 03-12-14, 10:22 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Keyword: LS460

Just because you have owned 3 "high end" lexus vehicles, doesn't really mean much.. (what defines high end anyways? you named pretty much 3 of the 5 non-SUV vehicles Lexus makes)

Any non-F model will shift hard when in sport mode, its part of the fact that its difficult to have fast but smooth operation in a single clutch transmission. If you have driven any exotic car with dual clutch or single clutch transmission, they shift pretty hard at WOT.

I get it, you want to know why it shifts hard.. sure but the only reason why you [searched] harsh shifting and it came up with nothing is because its LOGICAL/common sense/technically sound to assume its because its a performance vehicle and shifts like this. Its like asking why Ferraris are so loud and makes high pitched sounds when you floor it, asking why a exotic vehicles have a hard time driving over speed bumps because of their low clearance and the same question as to why they shift so hard at WOT.

Just pointing out the obvious, which leads me back to why I was wondering.. "not sure if trolling"

I totally see your point now. Sorry buddyc. You are right 110%. LS460 here is the key word. Please forgive my response if I seemed a little defensive. I have been all over this forum for a looong time and I have never been called a troll. I can see how you thought that but remember you guys are ahead of me in understanding how the beast operates.
Old 03-12-14, 11:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[B]I can see how you thought that but remember you guys are ahead of me in understanding how the beast operates.
Most of Us Guys, as you put it, came to the ISF in a completely different route than you. I am 75 years old, probably the senior member of this forum, and have never owned a vehicle that was not aimed at performance. They have covered the gamut from Flat Head Mercurys through GTOs, Boss Mustangs, Trans Ams, Porsches and etc. And all of them have been modified to some extent.

My Suppressed Desire in my High School Yearbook (58 years ago) was:

"To Someday Own a Passanger Car that can accelerate from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds."

I finally achieved that goal

My point is, you have come to the F in a very strange way. And, please forgive me, but some of your posts are sort of annoying. I have responded to some, but for the most part have chosen to ignore them.

I have been a car guy all my life. My first real exposure to cars was in my Aunt and Uncle's Ford dealership in a small Massachusetts town. I vividly recall the excitement I felt when viewing the brand new 1946 Fords in the empty showroom on a Sunday afternoon.

My first experience with "luxury" automobiles was my fathers Buick Roadmasters and Oldsmobile 98s. I knew they would never be for me, and over the years, my mind and desires have never changed.

Again, I find it hard to understand the journey that brought you to the ISF. But whatever it was, welcome, and I promise to be more tolerant of your posts and I will try to share when I can be of help.

Lou
Old 03-12-14, 01:58 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Most of Us Guys, as you put it, came to the ISF in a completely different route than you. I am 75 years old, probably the senior member of this forum, and have never owned a vehicle that was not aimed at performance. They have covered the gamut from Flat Head Mercurys through GTOs, Boss Mustangs, Trans Ams, Porsches and etc. And all of them have been modified to some extent.

"To Someday Own a Passanger Car that can accelerate from 0-60 in less than 5 seconds."

My point is, you have come to the F in a very strange way. And, please forgive me, but some of your posts are sort of annoying. I have responded to some, but for the most part have chosen to ignore them.

I have been a car guy all my life. My first real exposure to cars was in my Aunt and Uncle's Ford dealership in a small Massachusetts town. I vividly recall the excitement I felt when viewing the brand new 1946 Fords in the empty showroom on a Sunday afternoon.

My first experience with "luxury" automobiles was my fathers Buick Roadmasters and Oldsmobile 98s. I knew they would never be for me, and over the years, my mind and desires have never changed.

Again, I find it hard to understand the journey that brought you to the ISF. But whatever it was, welcome, and I promise to be more tolerant of your posts and I will try to share when I can be of help.

Lou
i guess i just dont know whats 'annoying' about any of his posts. maybe im just an old head...joined in 01, took a hiatus for about 10 yrs as i was experiencing other vehicles and returned about 3 yrs ago...but this community is so different than it used to be.

'back in my day', it was all about helping folks out when they had a question...no matter how mundane, simple or frequently asked. since i've been back, it seems some folks are just plain rude. and its not like i'm an old dude...i just remember how CL used to be.

and maybe its because im new to the F like I8, so i have some of the same questions as he does. but i noticed this on the 2nd gen GS forum, as well. just kinda disappointing to see how CL has 'evolved'....
Old 03-12-14, 02:23 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i guess i just dont know whats 'annoying' about any of his posts. maybe im just an old head...joined in 01, took a hiatus for about 10 yrs as i was experiencing other vehicles and returned about 3 yrs ago...but this community is so different than it used to be.

'back in my day', it was all about helping folks out when they had a question...no matter how mundane, simple or frequently asked. since i've been back, it seems some folks are just plain rude. and its not like i'm an old dude...i just remember how CL used to be.

and maybe its because im new to the F like I8, so i have some of the same questions as he does. but i noticed this on the 2nd gen GS forum, as well. just kinda disappointing to see how CL has 'evolved'....
What you say about evolved is actually members expecting other members to do their research.. use logic and common sense before posting something so basic. I do realize he searched but he needs to use some logic that this and high performance cars will all shift hard at WOT.
Old 03-12-14, 03:02 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

What you say about evolved is actually members expecting other members to do their research.. use logic and common sense before posting something so basic. I do realize he searched but he needs to use some logic that this and high performance cars will all shift hard at WOT.
guess i dont see the big deal and the effort to explain something to someone. especially AFTER theyve used the search function. cant take too much more time than posting a wise *** remark, can it?
Old 03-12-14, 03:09 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

We were all noobs at some point, lets move on.

It takes 10 times the energy to complain about someone's question than to answer or (imagine this) just ignore it. There is such little action on ISF specific forum, i welcome the mundane questions because someone might actually post something intersting and new.
Old 03-12-14, 03:21 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vervish

It takes 10 times the energy to complain about someone's question than to answer or (imagine this) just ignore it. There is such little action on ISF specific forum, i welcome the mundane questions because someone might actually post something intersting and new.
Old 03-12-14, 03:58 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed. Plus, what, exactly, do the negative comments add to the discussion? Are we all now wiser because of them? Is the forum better off with them? I think not.
Old 03-12-14, 04:15 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guess i dont see the big deal and the effort to explain something to someone. especially AFTER theyve used the search function. cant take too much more time than posting a wise *** remark, can it?
my remark shouldn't have came off as "wise", but rather snide.

most of my responses to these type of questions are usually "Let Me Google That For You" links, as I am a firm advocate of that saying, something about fish and teaching fishing to a man.

The search function should have yielded that the torque converter gets locked, causing this "harsh" shift. If the OP was unable to deduct that, again, there are plenty of online resources.

The issue with just explaining something that has been explained - makes forums like these less valuable. Imagine reading a book, where the first chapter and the last chapter goes over the same topic.

This car was released in 2008. Odds are, whatever question I have about this car is probably already answered/covered. I guess my expectations from this online resource is too high.

Haha like whether or not Synthetic oil is good for the IS-F?
Old 03-12-14, 04:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowrideraz

Lou
Lou just for reference I was a HUGE tuner back in the day. My cars have been featured in magazines as readers rides of the month. I know a thing or two about driving too Sorry if my posts are annoying. Plus we are both in AZ and may meet up at Pavillions one day. Cant miss me . Red ISF with a driver who is 6'5" and 277LBS. Im a little bigger than your average guy

I was a little thrown back by how sensitive people are on this forum about searching and asking questions, but I am the new dude.......... The GS and LS forum members were less sensitive about asking questions . Plus questions keep the forum discussions open and going

just because the search is done doesnt mean the exact answer was discovered. Thats what these forums are about......I thought

when youre right youre right

Thanks. Lets
Old 03-12-14, 04:22 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys This Thread has turned into an argument/mess... I think a Mod should close this and let it rest.
Old 03-12-14, 04:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 9aristo

This car was released in 2008. Odds are, whatever question I have about this car is probably already answered/covered. I guess my expectations from this online resource is too high.
All good. I guess we just view the forum differently. For me, it's less of a resource and more of a community of folks with the same interest. And in that interest, it becomes a resource.

No harm no foul...

Quick Reply: Harsher but faster shifts in manual and sport mode