IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Traction Control Question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 11:37 AM
Andyfishy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Question..

Is it better to turn sport mode on and traction control off at the same time or just the traction off? I heard that sports on and traction off at the same time will make the car very hard to control?

By the way, what are your track times in Buttonwillow 13CW?

Thanks,
ANDY
Old 03-12-14, 11:51 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Well I rarely drive with traction control off because I don't want to be sliding all over the place.

My experience with traction control off is make sure you know what you're doing and expect to spin a lot.

I find that with just sports mode on the car still slides considerably.

I doubt traction control off will help you achieve better track times, sports mode should be enough if you're taking the corners right.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I've never tracked my car so can't talk from experience.
Old 03-12-14, 12:01 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Different people will have different results. I think at the track I would probably leave TC on and use sport mode. But I have never tracked the car, so I am not sure.

The Sport mode will definitely let you eek out the most performance.. The TC will either slow you down or save your ***, depending on how good a driver you are.
Old 03-12-14, 12:01 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you hearing this information?? Sports on is a MUST.. if you can't control it then you need more seat time. Traction control off is best (with E-LSD on).. Lobuxracer has mentioned that our traction control fully on can be beneficial if used correctly.

I haven't driven at Buttonwillow 13CW but don't expect any times near 2'00.. I would like to say a stock ISF, 2'10-2'15 with good tires would be achievable with a skilled driver.
Old 03-12-14, 12:15 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

In the summer I drive with Sports mode on and Traction Control (long push) off....
Old 03-12-14, 06:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

If you can't control the car with the traction control off, you really need to rethink your driving skills. The F isn't nearly as powerful as something like a GT-R or any of the supercharged Corvettes, even the CTS-V has more power, and all of these cars can be driven fast by a competent driver with the nannies turned off.

My personal experience is, turn off the nannies at the track so you can learn where the car's limits are (and yours too!). Once you have a clear picture of what the car likes and doesn't like, you can use the stability control as a last resort catch and probably go faster (I say probably because I know guys who definitely go faster with the nannies off) depending on your skill level. Top level drivers seem to think the stability controls help them. If you are ham fisted (or used to racing motorcycles), you're going to have trouble with the nannies turned on at the track. You're better off turning them off (and saving your brakes) so you can explore the car's true limits while you expand your own. You will be forced to learn how NOT to spin the car without traction control, how to properly countersteer and recover from slides, and to control the throttle with some real sensitivity for what it can do.

At the track, with the windows down and a helmet on, you will never notice the stability controls working. You can't hear the bell, and you surely are not looking at the instruments much at all especially when you're in a situation where the stability controls are working, so your first indication you've exceeded the limits of the system will be when your front brakes fade to zero from being overworked and undercooled. AMHIK.