IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First track day in the ISF !! I am hooked!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14 | 07:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You're looking for about 44 psi hot. Mine were 32 psi cold when set right, but that's pretty near sea level too.
Old 04-10-14 | 08:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

mine were set to manufacturers 36 psi as in accordance with the tech rules/recommendations for HPDE1. I didnt check the pressures after the first session because we had to rush into class. The car sat for 2 hours between sessions so I would say it safe to assume it didnt get too hot. I could tell the tires had a little less bite mid corner on the second session. I think I was also pushing a little harder because I knew it was going to be a short session and my instructor drove for 3 of the 7-8 laps.
Old 04-10-14 | 09:47 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Great videos! Thank you for posting. It was very interesting to listen to all the discussion between you and the instructor over the whole span of the videos.

It looked super fun, and I think the instructor really liked the F! Seemed as if you did really well, too.

I didn't know about the cool-down lap for the rotors, either. Makes sense, and good to know.

Old 04-10-14 | 10:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Brakes don't stop the car. Tires stop the car. Good brakes don't fade. Good tires stop the car in a shorter distance - no caliper, rotor, or pad will change stopping distance.

You need to come to the Southeast and hit up some of our events at CMP, AMP, or Road Atlanta. I'm glad you had fun, but I really think we do it better here.
Old 04-11-14 | 12:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Brakes don't stop the car. Tires stop the car. Good brakes don't fade. Good tires stop the car in a shorter distance - no caliper, rotor, or pad will change stopping distance.

You need to come to the Southeast and hit up some of our events at CMP, AMP, or Road Atlanta. I'm glad you had fun, but I really think we do it better here.
I am aware of that. What I meant in the video is how hard he could stop repeatedly. There not only was no fade, BUT you could feel the power/bite seem to increase as the brakes got really really hot. Mix the amazing rotors and pads mixed with the DOT slicks and it made for a ride and a feeling I have never experienced before The braking almost made me dizzy a little .

Hey Lobux maybe one day we will meet up on a track in SE. That would be cool to have a couple of Fs on the track together. Im sure it would be fun. Thanks for your tips before my track day. I didnt even think to bring a chair until I read the write up. Also brought some tools, extra oil, etc. Thanks again buddy.
Old 04-11-14 | 09:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

OK. Get a set of track pads for the F and you'll be amazed again. The Carbotechs I run at the track will bounce you off the shoulder harness with a very light touch when cold. At temperature, they're smooth, linear, and very predictable. Every one of my instructors has commented on how great the brakes on the F are. One owner here ran at Autobahn Country Club's track with stock pads and melted them. This is the reason I always recommend a proper track pad. We've got top shelf calipers and rotors from the factory and with pads intended for track use, the brakes are absolutely fantastic at the track.
Old 04-11-14 | 10:15 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Now I know you know your stuff.lol The instructor was running the same brand of pads on his Corvette. Thanks for the heads up buddy. Cool to get some advice from one of the few who has significant track time in the F.
Old 04-20-14 | 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

just got some pics in from the NASA photographer
Attached Thumbnails First track day in the ISF !! I am hooked!!-10154188_652160880129_1032122537889907607_n.jpg   First track day in the ISF !! I am hooked!!-10153186_652160895099_3470077276350705262_n.jpg   First track day in the ISF !! I am hooked!!-10302690_652160905079_8917645692587686965_n.jpg  
Old 04-20-14 | 01:22 PM
sr20bet
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Took the F to Wild Horse Pass this weekend and the car was amazing. I was only in HPDE 1 but this car handled the track better than any car in the group, tires held up well for about 7 laps then started to under and oversteer, and the brakes did very well as well. I was impressed at how the stock set up did even at full tilt on the track. Brakes never smoked ( they got a little smelly for a second ), suspension felt flat, and tires did well considering the front were as wide as the Honda S2000 that was chasing me . The instructor kept saying that he thought the front tires were fine and the car was amazing. He drove my car for three laps and DAMN that guy was incredible. His line was better than mine and he went deeper into the corners. I learned a lot just driving with him. HPDE usually requires 4-6 20 min sessions to advance, but I was bumped to level 2 after only two sessions. The instructor said he was surprised at how well I could drive the car and how I already had great control and knew where the faster lines were. Needless to say I am hooked !!! My pads are at the last bit so I will be replacing them ( not sure if Im going to stick with oem or go after market now that I know the stock set up is not weak) . As far as tires I will be going to Michelin PSS but I may stick with the stock size . Not sure. Most of the instructors I spoke with said a better compound would be better than a wider size. Not sure if the PSS is enough alone. (Still havent found a picture of the upsized tires at stock height. I know most say its negligible but I notice different sizes and they way they look. I just dont more fender gap in the front. The cool member who posted a pic had his dropped in front so I cant get a true idea of what it would look like )

The track was only 1.6 miles long and had a back straight where we got up to about 100 mph. Great track, and a lot more technical than one would think when watching footage on youtube . If we have any AZ members there is another track day in Tucson in 3 weeks and we are right back to wild horse pass on 5/31.

All in all it was a great day, with lots of class learning, track time, and got to meet a bunch of cool guys who were there to learn. No BS, no testosterone, just learning to drive better and faster

I would highly recommend a track day to all members. You will not mess up your car. I dont think that some of us are truly aware of what the F can do at 10/10ths

GoPro VIDEO ADDED ON PAGE 2 of the HPDE 1 sessions and an HPDE4 session with my instructor in his Corvette
Great post.

If you track it a lot, I think my only concern would be the cost of brakes and tires, b/c the car is much heavier than....let's say a s2000. Also the parts cost more.

But other than that it's sounds like you had a blast!
Old 04-20-14 | 02:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sr20bet
Great post.

If you track it a lot, I think my only concern would be the cost of brakes and tires, b/c the car is much heavier than....let's say a s2000. Also the parts cost more.

But other than that it's sounds like you had a blast!
You're right, but when you consider I was dropping $2300 on a aset of Michelin PS2s for my LS460 then $1100 a set for the oem size or even upsized tires is much nicer. I get pads and rotors very cheap from Sewell Lexus since we are CL members. I just got a $1000 worth of brake parts for $590 shipped !! Its going to cost but it worth it, especially at these relative prices.