Cali: recommend a place to get dash cam & radar hard wired

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 08:54 AM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali: recommend a place to get dash cam & radar hard wired

Hey guys,

I recently ordered a dash cam Lukas 7900 with back up battery and already have the beltronics rx65 (may grab the v1). I know there are the other smaller dash cams out there but after reading tons of reviews and watching tons of YouTube vids this was highly recommended for hot climates like Bakersfield ca where it will be 100 plus for next three months without a single day of rain.

I wanna hard wire the dash cam into the fuse box as it comes with parking mode and g sensor as well. It comes with a hard wire kit and small external battery that it will draw power from when the vehicle is left parked (so it won't ruin my car battery). It comes with a power safety so it won't drain your car battery.

Looking for a shop or forum member to do the install (willing to pay a fellow member). I am not very hands on and just don't wanna mess with running wires through the pillars and near the airbag.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Cali: recommend a place to get dash cam & radar hard wired-screenshot_2014-07-02-08-49-38.png   Cali: recommend a place to get dash cam & radar hard wired-screenshot_2014-07-02-08-49-52.png  

Last edited by hgill02; 07-02-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 09:34 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I have this exact same camera for 1 year now. Originally on another car, but recently installed it on the ISF. I also have that Lukas "battery pack."

Install difficulty isn't bad. I used passenger side fuse box with an "add - a - fuse" to the door lock fuse (always hot), I think it's the #2 fuse. Make sure you get low profile ATM "add - a - fuse" like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321329859370...84.m1497.l2649

Hiding the wire in the headliner is simple and routing it down the passenger side A-pillar isn't difficult either, you can just pull off the A pillar cover. I made sure that the wire goes AROUND and BEHIND the airbag in the A-pillar, but I think even if someone lazily installed the wire in front of the airbag, the wire will easily rip apart upon airbag detonation.

It takes longer to change the oil than it did to install the camera. Give it a shot...
Old 07-02-14, 09:41 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed mine above the rear-view and tapped into the mirror's wires and I had no idea what I was doing. Was really straightforward and only took about a half hour, and I think installing what you're looking to install would be a pretty easy DIY (and pretty gratifying).
Old 07-02-14, 11:09 AM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I have this exact same camera for 1 year now. Originally on another car, but recently installed it on the ISF. I also have that Lukas "battery pack."

Install difficulty isn't bad. I used passenger side fuse box with an "add - a - fuse" to the door lock fuse (always hot), I think it's the #2 fuse. Make sure you get low profile ATM "add - a - fuse" like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321329859370...84.m1497.l2649

Hiding the wire in the headliner is simple and routing it down the passenger side A-pillar isn't difficult either, you can just pull off the A pillar cover. I made sure that the wire goes AROUND and BEHIND the airbag in the A-pillar, but I think even if someone lazily installed the wire in front of the airbag, the wire will easily rip apart upon airbag detonation.

It takes longer to change the oil than it did to install the camera. Give it a shot...
Might have to give it a shot. Any reason u did the fuse box on passenger side fuse box instead of driver. Any pics of the install. Also how did u attach the battery pack? I've seen some people (not Isf) use zip ties to hang it in place.
Old 07-02-14, 12:12 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I wanted to use the add-a-fuse on a hot\always on circuit that did not interfere with brake lights or ECU, so used the door lock fuse instead which was in the passenger side.

Did not zip tie or velcro the battery pack, I tucked it in with all the cables into the very right side of the passenger footwell. The carpet is "stapled" to a hard white plastic separator, so I just shoved the battery behind there.

I will post pictures later, for I will not be using the battery pack...something about high heat and Li-On batteries doesn't sound too safe, although it has been fine for 1 year when installed in the other car. Also the battery pack is only good for ~300 charge/discharge cycles and I think mine has been used way beyond that. Parking for just 4+ hours, the battery pack is dead by then, so I will only be using the 12V cutoff switch (the Lukas LK-290 device) instead.

Originally Posted by hgill02
Might have to give it a shot. Any reason u did the fuse box on passenger side fuse box instead of driver. Any pics of the install. Also how did u attach the battery pack? I've seen some people (not Isf) use zip ties to hang it in place.
Old 07-02-14, 01:46 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I wanted to use the add-a-fuse on a hot\always on circuit that did not interfere with brake lights or ECU, so used the door lock fuse instead which was in the passenger side.

Did not zip tie or velcro the battery pack, I tucked it in with all the cables into the very right side of the passenger footwell. The carpet is "stapled" to a hard white plastic separator, so I just shoved the battery behind there.

I will post pictures later, for I will not be using the battery pack...something about high heat and Li-On batteries doesn't sound too safe, although it has been fine for 1 year when installed in the other car. Also the battery pack is only good for ~300 charge/discharge cycles and I think mine has been used way beyond that. Parking for just 4+ hours, the battery pack is dead by then, so I will only be using the 12V cutoff switch (the Lukas LK-290 device) instead.
I think I may do the same. I don't wanna have to mess about with it later. Just wanna install it once and not have to worry about it. I already bought the Lukas lk 290 so may just skip the whole battery pack deal. Don't want issues with it later.