IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 02:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

There is nothing in TIS about what lubricant to use on the sunroof rails/drive assembly. Standard white lithium grease is more than likely what any dealership tech would use. You can even get that in a spray can to make it easy to apply. If I were picking one, I would choose Lubriplate Aero:

https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-St...ubes/Aero.html

It is intended for the gearsets in garage door openers and it particularly well suited to a wide range of temperatures as one would expect to encounter in a sun/moon roof system. 160+F in summer and as cold as you let your car get in winter.
LUBRIPLATE Aero is a neutral lithium base lubricant, manufactured with a light viscosity mineral oil that remains plastic down to -70°F, has an ASTM Dropping Point of over 350°F and is an NLGI No. 1 consistency.

Lubriplate Aero is the recommended grease for your garage door openers.
Old 04-29-19, 01:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Leander311
Yah was sure mine was totally flush and clean as well. Think it's an issue of lube that's 7+ years old just like the seal was... here's a side by side of the new bs old trim btw, so you guys can have an idea of how bad these easily get. My F is a '11, though did spend most its days in the FL and Houston heat.

I know this is a necro thread, but I just replaced mine yesterday. I was able to remove the seal without removing the glass, and as much as I would have liked to put the new seal on while the glass stayed in place, because the seal needs considerable pressure to seat in the groove on the glass panel, I had to remove the two front Torx screws and raise the front edge of the glass while in tilt mode so I could get the seal on the front - you can get the back and most of the sides without removing the glass, but I didn't want to risk damaging the new seal by doing a close and slide backward to expose the front edge. The only other trick is when you put the two screws back, you'll need to adjust the height at the front to get the seal to work.

I also had the safety engage when I went to close the roof the first time. I just worked it back and forth 4 or 5 times and it finally decided to fully close. I didn't apply any grease to anything, there was still plenty everywhere I could see, and I only rarely open the top anyway. I tilt it most of the time.

The pics Leander posted look exactly like my seal. 10+ years old, sun bleached, and tired. The new seal is definitely an improvement. Now to see if the weird rattle on decel from 35 mph goes away...
Old 04-30-19, 02:29 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

To lobuxracer,

I have that exact same issue of "rattle" or "wheel of fortune" clicking noise upon decel from 35mph. ~33mph slowing down coasting is when it's really apparent.
Replace the front wheel hubs, checked the rear wheel hubs (all good,) replaced the moonroof seal, checked for cracks in the manifold, nothing is amiss.
Can't figure it out and more than one owner has reported this anomaly....

Maybe can start a different thread about the 35mph coasting decel "rattle" noise....

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I know this is a necro thread, but I just replaced mine yesterday. I was able to remove the seal without removing the glass, and as much as I would have liked to put the new seal on while the glass stayed in place, because the seal needs considerable pressure to seat in the groove on the glass panel, I had to remove the two front Torx screws and raise the front edge of the glass while in tilt mode so I could get the seal on the front - you can get the back and most of the sides without removing the glass, but I didn't want to risk damaging the new seal by doing a close and slide backward to expose the front edge. The only other trick is when you put the two screws back, you'll need to adjust the height at the front to get the seal to work.

I also had the safety engage when I went to close the roof the first time. I just worked it back and forth 4 or 5 times and it finally decided to fully close. I didn't apply any grease to anything, there was still plenty everywhere I could see, and I only rarely open the top anyway. I tilt it most of the time.

The pics Leander posted look exactly like my seal. 10+ years old, sun bleached, and tired. The new seal is definitely an improvement. Now to see if the weird rattle on decel from 35 mph goes away...
Old 06-04-19, 09:25 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

I’m getting a sunroof rattle too. Not sure what tabs to bend on past posts but check the torx screws and they are tight. Noticed the passenger side is the cause of the rattle (I can push it up a little more tha. The driver side). Isn’t this a case of something being loose rather than the seal around the sunroof? Not sure what to tighten down though because all torx screws are already tight...almost stripped them because I wanted to make sure they were tight.

Please help...spent an unhealthy amount of hours today trying to figure out my sunroof rattle. Lol
Old 06-05-19, 12:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by itsmike177
To lobuxracer,

I have that exact same issue of "rattle" or "wheel of fortune" clicking noise upon decel from 35mph. ~33mph slowing down coasting is when it's really apparent.
Replace the front wheel hubs, checked the rear wheel hubs (all good,) replaced the moonroof seal, checked for cracks in the manifold, nothing is amiss.
Can't figure it out and more than one owner has reported this anomaly....

Maybe can start a different thread about the 35mph coasting decel "rattle" noise....
Go for it. I thought I found the root cause last night, and after putting everything back together I had silence, but then today, it returned and oh boy is it annoying if you are not playing music. You start it, I'll post what I know in it.
Old 06-06-19, 01:59 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Go for it. I thought I found the root cause last night, and after putting everything back together I had silence, but then today, it returned and oh boy is it annoying if you are not playing music. You start it, I'll post what I know in it.
Thank you luboxracer, started a new thread at:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-35mph.html
Old 09-16-21, 09:12 PM
Rainheart
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

So..I just tried to replace the weather stripping to fix the rattle. Removed 3 of the 4 torx screws, no problem...I stripped the last one..

Anyone know the PN of the bolts? if not from Lexus/Toyota directly, what kind of thread/pitch it is?
Old 09-17-21, 09:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

90159-50336 should be what you need.
The following users liked this post:
Rainheart (09-17-21)
Old 09-18-21, 09:21 PM
Rainheart
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Strange! confirmed that it was the correct bolt, but the PN is different. In any case, got what I needed. Thanks lobux.
Old 09-19-21, 11:21 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rainheart
Strange! confirmed that it was the correct bolt, but the PN is different. In any case, got what I needed. Thanks lobux.
Meh, just another superceded part number. My part number access isn't as current as EPC and often has the original part number. When you look it up with the online retailers, you'll see the superceded number which is what your package has on it.

90159-50336 is the most current part number. Why they do this, I'll never know. Seems like a logisitics nightmare to me, but they know what they're doing with supply chain for sure.
Rainheart (09-19-21)
Old 07-30-22, 10:24 PM
Jrodd74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainheart
So..I just tried to replace the weather stripping to fix the rattle. Removed 3 of the 4 torx screws, no problem...I stripped the last one..

Anyone know the PN of the bolts? if not from Lexus/Toyota directly, what kind of thread/pitch it is?

Reviving an old thread - I ran into a similar today while replacing my seal. I was tightening the last screw and discovered it would just keep spinning without tightening or loosening. At this point, I can't get the screw out. My sunroof is pretty level all around, although maybe 1mm lower than ideal on the corner with the spinning screw. Anyone else run into this issue and ideas how I can fix this? (Or do I just leave it as-is and hope the other three screws are sufficient to keep things in place long-term...)
Old 08-01-22, 01:21 PM
Jrodd74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrodd74
Reviving an old thread - I ran into a similar today while replacing my seal. I was tightening the last screw and discovered it would just keep spinning without tightening or loosening. At this point, I can't get the screw out. My sunroof is pretty level all around, although maybe 1mm lower than ideal on the corner with the spinning screw. Anyone else run into this issue and ideas how I can fix this? (Or do I just leave it as-is and hope the other three screws are sufficient to keep things in place long-term...)
In case anyone runs into this issue in the future, I've posted my fix here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11336991
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrodd74:
and3re (06-12-23), MileHIFcar (08-01-22)
Old 03-27-23, 09:39 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

I... I was able to remove the seal without removing the glass, and as much as I would have liked to put the new seal on while the glass stayed in place, because the seal needs considerable pressure to seat in the groove on the glass panel, I had to remove the two front Torx screws and raise the front edge of the glass while in tilt mode so I could get the seal on the front - you can get the back and most of the sides without removing the glass, but I didn't want to risk damaging the new seal by doing a close and slide backward to expose the front edge. The only other trick is when you put the two screws back, you'll need to adjust the height at the front to get the seal to work.
Looking into replacing sunroof seal to mitigate wind swooshing noise on freeway.

If not comfortable cycling the sunroof from tilt to closed as shown here, looks like I can try method outlined above:
1) Place sunroof in full-tilt position.
2) Remove old seal.
3) Install new seal to rear of glass (make sure seal drain hole is on rear and centered, not front).
4) Loosen front screws, raise glass, install seal to front perimeter.

For #4, do I need to loosen both rear screws also to raise the glass? Seems to me that I do, wondering how much I am going to be chasing the height adjustment at all four corners.

Does IS sunroof screw attachment look similar to GS?

Parts list:
63251-53030 Seal
90080-15059 Screws (x4) ~ in case I strip one or four ~
and3re (06-12-23)
Old 03-28-23, 06:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

No, the IS is a little different. As I recall, I only had to remove the front to lift it, the rear pivoted easily (it has to for the tilt function to work). Looking at the service manual, it advises you to ensure the height is even front to back and side to side. They give a tolerance for this - +1.0 to -2.0mm for front and back, +1.5 - 1.0mm for the sides.
ChpEng (03-28-23)
Old 05-27-24, 07:03 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I replaced my seal this weekend.

Easier just to pull the glass off and sit on the floor with the glass in your hands to replace the seal.

Had to cycle the sunroof to get it to close.

I noticed today however while cleaning my sunroof that the headliner cover for the sunroof now will not retract when the sunroof opens...any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattle