Sunroof rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24, 08:53 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I replaced my seal this weekend.

Easier just to pull the glass off and sit on the floor with the glass in your hands to replace the seal.

Had to cycle the sunroof to get it to close.

I noticed today however while cleaning my sunroof that the headliner cover for the sunroof now will not retract when the sunroof opens...any thoughts?
I looked at this for the other day and could not figure out how the headliner cover gets pulled back when the sunroof opens. Other cars have a tab or catch, but I cannot find it on the front or sides of the sunroof or cover. Sorry not any help.

Any tips on removal of the bellows-type plastics part on left and right sides? The service manual calls this part the "sliding roof side garnish" and shows five clips, three on the bottom and two on top.
Old 06-06-24, 02:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
...Any tips on removal of the bellows-type plastics part on left and right sides? The service manual calls this part the "sliding roof side garnish" and shows five clips, three on the bottom and two on top.
Be brutal. Those clips are PITA.
Old 06-06-24, 12:07 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
I looked at this for the other day and could not figure out how the headliner cover gets pulled back when the sunroof opens. Other cars have a tab or catch, but I cannot find it on the front or sides of the sunroof or cover. Sorry not any help.

Any tips on removal of the bellows-type plastics part on left and right sides? The service manual calls this part the "sliding roof side garnish" and shows five clips, three on the bottom and two on top.
For some reason when my car had the ignition on while running it pulled the sunroof cover back and all is well now - so strange :/

I just took off the bottom of the plastic bellows cover and left it attached to the sunroof glass. They clip onto the rail and come right off.
Old 08-03-24, 05:17 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Sunroof Weatherstrip Replacement

Finally got it done last weekend.
63251-53030: Sunroof Seal
90080-15059: Weatherstrip Screw (4x, optional, coated with red loctite)

Installation notes:
1) Once I was able to feel out their location, I found the 3x lower clips on the plastic bellows cover ("sliding roof side garnish" in the FSM) easy to remove. Minimal force necessary here, they are slotted clips that only need to be angled slightly and pulled out to disconnect. I did like @MisterSkiz suggested and just left the bellows attached to the sunroof glass, not bothering to undo the two upper clips on each side.
2) The four fasteners are T25's. Magnetized bits are super-handy to keep these from launching into some random nook or cranny. I found a bit driver handle easier for the rear ones and rachet with extension best for the fronts.
3) I removed the entire sunroof glass and placed it on a workbench. This made removal, installation, and alignment of the weatherstrip much simpler.
4) Weatherstrip alignment was a bit tedious but rewarding to get right. Per FSM, there should be no pinched, exposed, or gap (wrinkly) areas. I installed the front first, then worked my way around to the rear. I had wrinkle areas in the rear but using the rear alignment mark helped guide which way to coax/pull the weatherstrip to smooth it out. Alignment marks are as shown in photos below. The old weatherstrip had ink dots at each corner, the new one only on the front two corners.
5) Took the opportunity to clean everything that is usually inaccessible. Used a ceramic coating product (Griot's Garage 10842) on the weatherstrip in an attempt to boost longevity.
6) FSM spec for level between roof panel and upper surface of weatherstrip is +1.0mm/-2.0mm Front, +2.0mm/-1.0mm Rear, +1.5mm/-1.5mm Right and +1.5mm/-1.0mm Left. Really small numbers but the gist is positive rake, I presume for noise and drainage. It took me about three round-trip iterations adjusting the screws to be happy with the results.

New weatherstrip plumper and softer than the old one. Slight air whistle at freeway speeds with inner cover open is now gone.
Success!

Replacing these screws is optional.

New sunroof weatherstrip, composed of a higher-density inner rubber material and a low-density, softer outer sealing material.

I found it much easier to remove the sunroof and work it on a bench. No need to remove side bellows from sunroof.

Front right corner, aligning the ink dot on the gasket with the middle alignment hash mark on the sunroof plastic trim.

Front left corner, similar to right.

Weatherstrip rear features. Yellow circle is not an alignment tab feature, ignore it. Blue circle is the alignment tab, lined up with the seam/joint in the weatherstrip as shown. Green circle is the gasket drain a couple inches away from the seam/joint.

Last edited by ChpEng; 08-03-24 at 05:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChpEng:
ihadboost (08-06-24), inovashn (08-05-24), MisterSkiz (08-09-24)