IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 07:54 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just curious, did you have one more shift in your run compared to the OEM gearing? That would cost you 0.100 seconds by itself.
I debate this partially. Your car is still accelerating from momentum. Technically you just lose additional exceleration. The car does not actually stop moving during shifts. Maybe I’m crazy, but in my head I’m right.
The following users liked this post:
1sFTW (06-26-19)
Old 06-25-19, 01:29 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

YOU were angry with RR RACING the people that are the best in the ISF IS business come on.
Old 06-25-19, 02:34 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Was your gearbox slipping or traction,. The ISF doesn't need a lower first gear, but thanks for the ride.
Old 06-26-19, 08:02 AM
1sFTW
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
YOU were angry with RR RACING the people that are the best in the ISF IS business come on.
Yeah, customer service is customer service. If I’m going to be spending thousands of dollars, I want things to go my way. Didn’t get that with RR, VR had the same products, for cheaper, with better customer service.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1sFTW:
Ayonapkinz (09-13-20), viprez586 (01-23-20)
Old 06-26-19, 08:06 AM
1sFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by isfvss
Was your gearbox slipping or traction,. The ISF doesn't need a lower first gear, but thanks for the ride.
I forgot that the final drive ratio only effected first gear. Thanks for the comment
Old 06-28-19, 04:13 AM
Jwconeil

Thanks for the work you shared with us. You saved me a lot of time and money. After seeing your results, I’ll stick with my stock torsion unit.
Old 06-28-19, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

What is torsion about a Torsen?
Old 06-28-19, 01:35 PM
Jwconeil

What is torsion about a Torsen?
My diff is different. It works off rubber bands and wizardry.
lobuxracer (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 01:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 1sFTW
I forgot that the final drive ratio only effected first gear. Thanks for the comment
For all practical purposes, this is correct. Once you get to the meat of the powerband in first gear, there are enough gears to keep you in the meat of the powerband from there out to 6th pretty easily. What that means is, it isn't possible to get more power to the rear wheels. As I mentioned previously, I got in a huge debate with a good friend about this when I initially considered the idea of putting in lower final drive gears. He said, "It won't make much difference at all." I called him out and he answered with some pretty clear mathematics showing the only thing changing from a power perspective was the time it took to get to the meat of the powerband in first gear. After that, there's no measurable difference in acceleration because you're putting all the available power through the drivetrain. Gearing can't change power. It only changes the balance between rotation and force. If you want force, you lose rotation. If you want rotation you lose force. Very similar to volts and amps in electricity.

Traction problems on even pretty decent tires are common in first gear with the OEM final drive ratio. Adding force and sacrificing rotation will only make managing traction more difficult, so in the end, without considerably more traction there won't be much payout from changing the gearing. Believe me, I spent a whole lot of time debating this and even thought really hard about a smallish change in final drive when I put the Giken spool in my diff because everything was apart anyway and it would have been relatively simple to do. It just didn't make sense mathematically.

I am glad you were able to bear this out empirically, and at a relatively small cost. Had I swapped ratios on the Giken install, it would have been a huge PITA to go back.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-28-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 09:22 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You also significantly reduced the top speed your F will achieve.

Old 06-30-19, 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Still seems to be some doubt about something. Here's the document and a quick quote from it:
If both cars were fitted with a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) that had an infinite ratio spread which can hold both engines at their horsepower peaks, the acceleration of both cars would be identical.
In our case, because the number of gears is rapidly approaching a CVT, final drive gearing means less and less except for how long it takes to get to peak power in 1st gear. Also, drag races are mostly won in the first 16" of travel, so getting the most possible traction to apply the most possible power in that critical segment is the difference between a win and a loss. Translated this means a very low final drive with the stickiest possible tires wins in ET racing because you get to peak power as quickly as traction allows.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HORSEPOWER+VS+TORQUE.pdf (1.01 MB, 33 views)
Old 07-01-19, 09:26 AM
1sFTW
Driver

For all practical purposes, this is correct. Once you get to the meat of the powerband in first gear, there are enough gears to keep you in the meat of the powerband from there out to 6th pretty easily. What that means is, it isn't possible to get more power to the rear wheels. As I mentioned previously, I got in a huge debate with a good friend about this when I initially considered the idea of putting in lower final drive gears. He said, "It won't make much difference at all." I called him out and he answered with some pretty clear mathematics showing the only thing changing from a power perspective was the time it took to get to the meat of the powerband in first gear. After that, there's no measurable difference in acceleration because you're putting all the available power through the drivetrain. Gearing can't change power. It only changes the balance between rotation and force. If you want force, you lose rotation. If you want rotation you lose force. Very similar to volts and amps in electricity.

Traction problems on even pretty decent tires are common in first gear with the OEM final drive ratio. Adding force and sacrificing rotation will only make managing traction more difficult, so in the end, without considerably more traction there won't be much payout from changing the gearing. Believe me, I spent a whole lot of time debating this and even thought really hard about a smallish change in final drive when I put the Giken spool in my diff because everything was apart anyway and it would have been relatively simple to do. It just didn't make sense mathematically.

I am glad you were able to bear this out empirically, and at a relatively small cost. Had I swapped ratios on the Giken install, it would have been a huge PITA to go back.
Actually, voltage and current are directly proportional and inversely proportional to resistance. I have anecdotal evidence of shorter gears not equating to faster times (for this car). I know gearing doesn't change power, but drag racers modify gearing for acceleration, which is what I was shooting for. I was hoping for a gain down low and no change up top (to a point), but I have proved otherwise. I never had traction issues on a/s tires on OEM gearing at the track, this is a fact, I have plenty of times cut 1.9s on pilot sport a/s 3 plus. My fastest 60 was 1.95 on all seasons. Now with the R888Rs and the GS gears, I have cut 1.87s in the 60. Last Friday I went 12.48 @113, (113 is my usual trap speed). The car really does feel quicker but not faster.
Old 07-01-19, 12:04 PM
1sFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by tas02
You also significantly reduced the top speed your F will achieve.
Never have I ever cared about top speed. I’ve only been to 120 because I keep going past the line at the quarter. I refuse to drive like a maniac on the street going 100+. 100% of my driving is in the city unless I go on a trip which is not often. Even on highway im cruising at 75-80. Do I accelerate quickly to say 60? Yeah. I will never try to max out the speed on my car or even care to. So irrelevant for me.
Jwconeil (07-02-19)
Old 07-01-19, 12:25 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Never have I ever cared about top speed. I’ve only been to 120 because I keep going past the line at the quarter. I refuse to drive like a maniac on the street going 100+. 100% of my driving is in the city unless I go on a trip which is not often. Even on highway im cruising at 75-80. Do I accelerate quickly to say 60? Yeah. I will never try to max out the speed on my car or even care to. So irrelevant for me.
I can agree with this here. And I dislike it if people ask me “how fast can this thing go”. Tells me you probably don’t know much about cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by mahcah:
1sFTW (07-02-19), Jwconeil (07-02-19)
Old 07-02-19, 01:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Actually, voltage and current are directly proportional and inversely proportional to resistance. I have anecdotal evidence of shorter gears not equating to faster times (for this car). I know gearing doesn't change power, but drag racers modify gearing for acceleration, which is what I was shooting for. I was hoping for a gain down low and no change up top (to a point), but I have proved otherwise. I never had traction issues on a/s tires on OEM gearing at the track, this is a fact, I have plenty of times cut 1.9s on pilot sport a/s 3 plus. My fastest 60 was 1.95 on all seasons. Now with the R888Rs and the GS gears, I have cut 1.87s in the 60. Last Friday I went 12.48 @113, (113 is my usual trap speed). The car really does feel quicker but not faster.
Read the PDF. Volts and amps are power. Resistance only plays if you calculate power using current squared times resistance. Power is defined as I*E. If power is constant when one goes up the other goes down. Same with gearing. Power doesn't change, and your trap speed attests to this. If we had a three or four speed gearbox, yes, lower final drive would make a much bigger difference.

Quick Reply: 3.266 diff crown and pinion - fit ISF diff or not?