Cooling fan recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 06:49 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
**UPDATE**

The fan motors are no longer available separately. You buy the entire shroud with two new fan motors for ~$300 from Lexus. I assume this is because they had the screws back out and now they don't want anyone replacing a fan motor separately because they can't be sure it won't have the screw backing out issue.

I will say this, removing the screws after the update has been done is a real biotch. I had to use a 1/4" drive with a #2 phillips Apex bit and the screws still got damaged coming out. They really don't want anyone ever removing those motors once they are attached to the shroud.
Do you think the loctite that they put on the screws is adequate to keep it from separating? Also, you say you can only purcahse the set from now on, this is the entire assembly with fan blades, etc?
Old 03-15-17, 11:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Do you think the loctite that they put on the screws is adequate to keep it from separating? Also, you say you can only purcahse the set from now on, this is the entire assembly with fan blades, etc?
I'll update when I get the new parts - likely next Monday.
Old 03-21-17, 01:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So the part showed up. It is only the shroud with two motors installed. You need to reuse the fan ECUs, the fans (Driver and Passenger are DIFFERENT!!!), and the rubber grommet for the coolant tank. I put in the new stuff and refilled the coolant, bled out the air, and all is well again. Except now I am hearing a clunking noise from the front end. I suspect lower ball joints. The joys of an older car with track mileage abound. I expect my starter bendix, alternator brushes, and hubs to be the next maintenance items. Oh well, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go $$$$???
Old 05-09-17, 11:45 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Ugh.....I'm having headers installed today (had to buy 2 new o2 $ensor$ too) and my mechanic calls and tells me the passenger side fan came loose and has melted to the shroud (or something like that). Good thing it should be covered under the service campaign.
I hate going to the dealer. So next week the car is going in for the cooling fan assembly LSC, ELF recall and airbag recall. I will be taking LOTS of "before" pictures (along with the dashcam) based on some of the ELF and airbag recall stories. Wish me luck!
Old 08-21-17, 01:02 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

bumping this up ... I'm sure i have the exact same failure, including the vibration and rattling around when the fans are on. Both fans also show signs of axial play, the left being worse than the right. I'll be pulling mine this weekend and replacing both the fan assy. and radiator. I went ahead and ordered new fan blades as well (at $90 for both, i figured might as well throw new ones on there and have an all new unit).

this was very helpful lobuxracer.
Old 11-12-19, 08:28 AM
QDuBose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my cooling came lose again after the recall was done

So my fan is loose again after the recall was done and Lexus of Wesley Chapel said they can't repair it again and to notify corporate. Has anybody else gone through this?

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
I pulled this up on mine:
Safety Recalls:
Title
Safety Recall ELF (E2F) - Preliminary Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak
Status
Remedy Not Available
Description
In the subject vehicles, the sealing property of the gasket seated in between the pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe could become degraded. During vehicle operation, fuel could leak past the gasket. In the presence of an ignition source, this could increase the risk of a vehicle fire.
Remedy
Lexus is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. Once preparations are complete, Lexus will send an owner notification letter by first class mail to owners of vehicles covered by this Safety Recall
For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.
Recall Date
October 15, 2014
Dealer Reference ID
E2F
NHTSA Recall ID
AWAITING#
Service Campaigns:
Title
Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ELE - Certain 2008 - 2012 Model Year IS F Vehicles - Engine Cooling Fans
Status
Remedy Available
Description
The screws which secure the engine cooling fan motors to the fan shroud could become loose over time and interfere with the operation of the cooling fans. If a fan becomes damaged and inoperative, the engine coolant temperature could increase.
Remedy
Authorized Lexus dealers are requested to inspect and replace the screws securing the cooling fan motors. If the cooling fan is damaged or the cooling fan motor is missing screws, cooling fan assembly will be replaced with a new one. These repairs will be performed at NO COST to vehicle owners. This LSC will be available until November 30, 2017, and will only be available at an authorized Lexus Dealer.
Campaign Date
November 12, 2014
Campaign Expiration Date
November 30, 2017
Dealer Reference ID
ELE
Old 11-12-19, 11:30 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did this and its still going strong
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ling-fans.html
Old 12-11-19, 08:23 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by QDuBose
So my fan is loose again after the recall was done and Lexus of Wesley Chapel said they can't repair it again and to notify corporate. Has anybody else gone through this?
It's answered right at the bottom of your reply. This recall ended in 2017.
Very few recalls are honored for lifetime, in most cases they'll do 10 or 15 years from date of first use.

Time to buy a new fan/shroud assembly.
Old 03-15-20, 08:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Those of you who got the recall work done and still had failures... The fail safe permanent solution you are looking for is below..

Even if I ever end up buying a new shroud for motors, the Philips screws would get swapped out to more superior bolt and locking nut.

I'm over 120K miles on the DIY repair with no failures. Includes one original primary motor and blade, as I replaced one failed secondary motor and destroyed blade. Will hit 180k soon.

Failures began when the mounting screws back out causing additional vibrations, eventually the blade can wedge and make contact on the shroud and burn up the motor.

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I figured that's all that they were doing... New Screws (same?) plus locktite..

I took it up a few notches..!!

Replaced mine with stainless steel bolts & added nylon locking nuts to the back side for extra security..

Joe Z

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Nice fix Joe.

Is it easy to access the nuts without removing the fan assembly?

Think I was looking at the wrong ones!

Originally Posted by Joe Z

It's dooable but tight for sure... The fan blades must be removed to access the OEM Philips screws..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-15-20 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 10:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

FYI - you can't order the motors separately anymore. The shroud comes with the motors and the motors come with the shroud. Sucks when you have a motor bearing fail because the screws were loose when they did the recall and all they did was replace the screws.
Old 03-16-20, 03:13 AM
inked13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FYI - you can't order the motors separately anymore. The shroud comes with the motors and the motors come with the shroud. Sucks when you have a motor bearing fail because the screws were loose when they did the recall and all they did was replace the screws.
what’s up everyone , new to the F family coming from a 2013 IS 350.
Just wanted to chime in @lobuxracer you still can order the motors separately from [megazip.net]
I have a 2012 F with 22k miles clocked in as well as the second owner of this vehicle. Long story short about 3 months in my cooling fan gave out and my car was down for a while due to the dealership wanting to charge me $600 a piece per motor! That’s per motor and in USD. Anyway I bought the whole shroud and both motors for $260 on megazip and it’s a genuine Lexus part.
shipping took about 2 weeks which is per usual for here on Guam.
Just my 0.02 cheers!
Old 03-21-20, 05:19 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine got a new fan set and radiator along with a cooling system flush, but yea if it is ok then just the screw set
Old 02-08-22, 11:50 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

@Joe Z Do you recall the sizing of the bolts/nuts that you used to replace the fan shroud screws? Gonna replace the radiator soon and this is on my list of to-dos.
Old 02-09-22, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Pretty sure they're M6x20mm.
The following users liked this post:
kzlflash (02-10-22)